Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Camo Polycarbonate???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Baroncowboy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camo Polycarbonate???

Hello everyone...
Im going to get strait to the point here...
I have seen camo paint jobs on lexan bodies a hundred times before,however...
I cannot find a "Polycarbonate" flat drab color at all!
I have searched the web over,and still have not found not one "flat/Matte" poly period...
So my question is... What are the people that have these flat/matte camo bodies using?...
I mean,I dont want to be forced to use a paint other than poly,nor have to use gloss...
Every other type of paint out there simply will not stand up to abuse like good ol' poly will....
So.....
Any help on this would be much appreciated.... Josh...
Old 03-02-2007, 06:52 PM
fugadude

Default RE: Camo Polycarbonate???

Hmm I wonder if you could paint the camo under it then use a matte clear finish to put on the outside. I don't know of any matte clear finishes for lexan though. Perhaps you could sand the outside of the body?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 PM
rcdude37

sand the outside of the body with 1200 grit paper... it will give it a dull look rather than the gloss finish...
what body are you spraying?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:17 AM
RGX Blade

0000 steel wool works well too.....
Old 03-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Anthoop

Paint the inside of the body as usual then use a 3M grey scotchbrite pad on the outside to acheive the desired matt effect.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:41 AM
Baroncowboy
My Feedback: (1)

Well,this might become some what of a suprise to everyone...
Im actually not painting an R/C body at all!!!
I love my model,planes,cars,and heli's,but I have another passion to!
Paintball!
Something that most of you guys may not be able to relate I suspect,however in the "Paintball World" there is an ongoing topic about,what one could do to paint a mask,without it chipping off like regular spray paints will ultimatly,and quickly do in the combative,and punishing nature of the sport...

There is forums just like the one's here at RCU avallible to paintball enthusiast alike...
Same deal really... Newbs always needing advice,moders are always building contraptions of you name it,to take it to the next level...And then you have those "ofcoase" know it alls that seem to push they're opinions on whats better for X -reasons,and last but not least ,even ranters,and the ol' "My stuff is better than your stuff" people alike! HAha I love forums!
A Man's SOAP,if you ask me...

Anyhow back to the point... I have devised a plan to try and use Polly paint,as it is by far,more durable than Crylon type exterior sprays intended to be adheared to a rigid structure rather than a flemsy plastic PB mask... To much harding is the main resaon this fails with mask,as there constanly cracking when the mask gets hit by a paintball traveling 200mph...
Flexing of the mask as it was intended to do,is another reason this is the wrong type of paint...
Someone did find a way to get a good result,opting to do away with paint all together though...
He simply bought 3M 77 tac spray glue,and shot some on his mask...Then he bought a camo pattern sheet and stuck it to the mask... Then he used "Mod Podge" and gave it a few coats to seal the cloth,and lightly sanded it to get pretty decent results,that seem to be able to take the abuse of paintball... Im posting this [link=http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=62184&hl=]LINK[/link] since I thought why not share the idea with the R/C world...
Might be a good wat to bring those ready for the trash monster bodies a new life... And it would indeed,make it unique! Might be cool on a hummer...With an ACU camo hancerchef,as the fabric...

So to cunclude this whole ordeal,I was intrested in still painting one rather than the Mod Podge deal... Just have to find the right paints... So since I am after all an ol'R/C junkie,then I thought about polly paints,and how resistant they are to abuse,and will flex all day long without an issue of cracking... Polly paints are also fuel proof,so paint ball juice shouldnt comprimise its dexterity in anyway since paintball fills are nothing more than organic food mixes...
Just wished some one sold Drabs,and mattes in polly... You'd think that they would have already made some by now... The closest thing I could find as in colors,is Great Plane Lustre Coat,made for cowlings and such... They have te flat colors Im after,but that stuff hardns tomuch aswell... MAKE SOME"Matte CAMO" POLLY 's PLEASE!!! Hahaha Thanks for reading!
Old 03-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Anthoop

Ah now i know what your doing,i would use two pack paint,using adhesion promoter first then your design in base coat followed by matt lacquer with a flex agent,trick is to avoid excess paint thickness.Please note some types of plastic are deemed unpaintable.