Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Alclad2 laquers

Old 04-12-2007, 04:48 AM
loulou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alclad2 laquers

I am looking for information on alclad alumineum laquers. I have seen the chromium paints on cars that you guys build and it looks great. I am into RC aircraft and am looking for a better alumineum finish. Any information would be very helpful. There are a lot of model airplane builders out there that are always looking for that perfect finish. Thanks in advance and keep up the the beautiful work.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 AM
regg151

Default RE: Alclad2 laquers

I've used the alclad2 polished aluminum and it looks just like a mirror when applied correctly, I actually like it better then the chrome for certain applications.

but thats the only one of the aluminums I have yet to try to date.
I tried the magnesium once but it wasn't quite what I was going for.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:39 AM
fugadude

Having used both Alclad II and Spaz Stix rattle cans I like the Spaz Stix better for chrome on lexan and also for chroming body features like spoilers, and mirrors.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 AM
loulou

What is your application process, I have never used this product. Do you apply an undercoat? Are you using an airbrush?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:41 AM
regg151

the paint process is the same for either chrome or polished aluminum if your airbrushing on lexan you would first spray the chrome in several light dusting coats then back with a water based black paint. For static models I believe you can use a lacquer base black allow it to dry then spray the chrome on top then lightly polish with micro-mesh.

I use an airbrush, the steps with the rattle can are pretty much the same.

The application process for the spaz stix mirror chrome is similar here's the directions right off there site
Question: Where can I find Mirror Chrome Airbrush instructions?
Answer: "Mirror" Chrome Airbrush Directions Panel. 1) Use Surface Pre-Prep prior to painting to remove any dirt and oils such as fingerprints. 2) Let bottle warm to room temperature (70 degrees fahrenheit) 3) Under 50% humidity offers best results. 4) Cover surrounding items to protect from overspray. 5) Shake until the ball inside bottle breaks loose. Continue to shake for one minute. 6) After each minute of spraying, REPEAT shaking procedures for ten seconds. 7) Spray 4" to 6" from surface at 15-20 psi. 8) Test spray for distance prior to painting. If too far away, coverage could be uneven. 9) Spray in thin, even coats instead of one heavy coat. 10) Apply 3 to 5 thin coats. You can tell when it is ready to be back by holding a dark black or blue cloth behind it. 11) Back with Waterbased paint only. 12) Recommend backing with Black for best effects. 13) Clean airbrush immediately with a high quality lacquer thinner.
the link to their site is www.spazstix.com
Old 04-18-2007, 10:03 AM
loulou

Thanks for the information. I have a couiple more questions for you.
Is it hot fuel proof?
Do you use any topcoat?
Old 04-21-2007, 12:11 AM
jspainhour

hey guys! kinda new to painting but i'm a pretty good artist. i've painted a few bodies and they turned out pretty dang good. i tried to use alclad chrome in the rattlecan. what kind of water based paint can i use without owning an airbrush? any help would be appreciated. i'm also in the market for an airbrush? anyone have any suggestions? maybe something that won't kill the wallet too bad? thanks guys!
-Jason
Old 04-24-2007, 04:30 AM
loulou

Any water based acrylic can be applied with a brush. As far as a good airbrush goes I am partial to paasche. It is quite inexpensive, with their single action kit priced around $53.00. Once you have mastered an airbrush you will love it.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:01 AM
jspainhour

thanks alot bro. i wasn't sure i coud brush it on and it still look good. as far as the airbrush goes..... when i get a lil more cash i will be looking into one. thanks again for the advice!