Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does any one know how to repair a lexan body

ok so heres the deal. I was recently racing my truck on the frozen snow with a few friends. i got the dare, yes the dare, you have all been there. the dare to jump my buds drive way off the mound the snow plow made. i did 3 jumps. 2 very successful and the 3rd very horrific. i did some damage and broke some parts, you probably would too if you had a mid air head on with the verticle portion of a frozen snow bank, but no biggie, 15 bucks in replacement parts and she runs like a champ again. but the problem is in this accident i punched the front left body mount through the lexen body. i cracked the lexan an broke a portion of it clean off. i was wonding how i could repair the broken off portion. i'm not really to concerned the looks of it as long as it's not to grusome looking but it needs to stronge because it's the part that meets the body mount. i had an idea of using fiberglass tape in wide strips and c/a ing in place but i don't know if it's a good idea because of flexiblity. any ideas would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks
    jon
    One advantage of being disorganized is that one is constantly make new discoveries!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When I got the dare too, I could not allow my TMAXX not to accept the challenge..I also had a few successful jumps but the last one..hoo boy!!

I used a few scrap peices of the original lexan flash cut off (I saved a few of the pieces I trimmed off for just such an occasion), and some spray adhesive, I use a 3M brand, my buddy did the same but used a product called shoo-glue instead, last item you should use is some duct tape for strength..I even sprayed the duct tape with a little 'extra' adhesive just in case...

I did it all from the inside of the body..that was well over a month ago..and yes I have gotten the dare again, took the challenge and of course broke something (woo hoo! I love it when stuff breaks)..but the body repair has survived and keeps on bashing..good luck!
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info. i'll have to give it a try. sounds like a pretty pretty good idea.
    keep on racing and don't forget to be daring
    jon
    One advantage of being disorganized is that one is constantly make new discoveries!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If the body is actually smashed try and get a new one, if its just a rip some duct tape or there is aluminum tape on towerhobbies specificially for that purpose.
    HPI RS4 3 Type SS with a brand new just broken in Fantom FR15 \'03. RD Logics Turbo pipe.
    Graphite Upper Deck RS4 3, 41T and 45T Spur gears, Nitro Racing Clutch, Gr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cheap repair:

Use the mesh tape normally used for drywall seams and a tube of shoe-goo. You put the tape over the crack or coat the tape and surrounding area with the shoe-goo.

I also do this to some of my bodies before they are cracked to reinforce the bumper and wheel wells. It will help the body last much longer if you hammer the boards too much.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JB weld, its glue that after its dry, its as hard as steel.