Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Does any one know how to repair a lexan body

Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Does any one know how to repair a lexan body

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 06:10 AM
flyboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does any one know how to repair a lexan body

ok so heres the deal. I was recently racing my truck on the frozen snow with a few friends. i got the dare, yes the dare, you have all been there. the dare to jump my buds drive way off the mound the snow plow made. i did 3 jumps. 2 very successful and the 3rd very horrific. i did some damage and broke some parts, you probably would too if you had a mid air head on with the verticle portion of a frozen snow bank, but no biggie, 15 bucks in replacement parts and she runs like a champ again. but the problem is in this accident i punched the front left body mount through the lexen body. i cracked the lexan an broke a portion of it clean off. i was wonding how i could repair the broken off portion. i'm not really to concerned the looks of it as long as it's not to grusome looking but it needs to stronge because it's the part that meets the body mount. i had an idea of using fiberglass tape in wide strips and c/a ing in place but i don't know if it's a good idea because of flexiblity. any ideas would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
jon
Old 03-28-2003, 03:47 AM
JeDi_MaStEr

When I got the dare too, I could not allow my TMAXX not to accept the challenge..I also had a few successful jumps but the last one..hoo boy!!

I used a few scrap peices of the original lexan flash cut off (I saved a few of the pieces I trimmed off for just such an occasion), and some spray adhesive, I use a 3M brand, my buddy did the same but used a product called shoo-glue instead, last item you should use is some duct tape for strength..I even sprayed the duct tape with a little 'extra' adhesive just in case...

I did it all from the inside of the body..that was well over a month ago..and yes I have gotten the dare again, took the challenge and of course broke something (woo hoo! I love it when stuff breaks)..but the body repair has survived and keeps on bashing..good luck!
Old 03-30-2003, 09:45 PM
flyboy84

Thanks for the info. i'll have to give it a try. sounds like a pretty pretty good idea.
keep on racing and don't forget to be daring
jon
Old 03-31-2003, 04:45 AM
KyleSch

If the body is actually smashed try and get a new one, if its just a rip some duct tape or there is aluminum tape on towerhobbies specificially for that purpose.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:51 PM
mikeaudia

Cheap repair:

Use the mesh tape normally used for drywall seams and a tube of shoe-goo. You put the tape over the crack or coat the tape and surrounding area with the shoe-goo.

I also do this to some of my bodies before they are cracked to reinforce the bumper and wheel wells. It will help the body last much longer if you hammer the boards too much.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:39 PM
GeorgeKelp
My Feedback: (1)

JB weld, its glue that after its dry, its as hard as steel.