Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Do you trim the body before or after painting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Do you trim the body before or after painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 05:57 AM
DT94588

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you trim the body before or after painting

I've been reading different articles and there doesn't seem to be a strong preference for cutting the body before or after painting. What about the folks here in this forum?
Old 03-26-2003, 07:37 AM
KyleSch

What you are supposed to do is cut out the wheel wells and all holes for body posts and stuff before you paint it so you know they are lined up properly. I usually do not finish cutting out the body until im done painting though, I find it a little bit easier to work with when its not entirely cut out. Plus it give you a place to hold onto the body when you paint it, since sometimes you have to pic it up to get paint in certain areas (if your using a spray paint).
Old 03-26-2003, 03:21 PM
kevetz99
My Feedback: (3)

Most bodies' instructions say to paint first, cut later.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:45 AM
txt1
My Feedback: (1)

i always cut mine first because to me it easer to cut and center the body before i paint. never had a problem yet but i'm not a pro. good luck in painting and cutting..
Old 04-18-2003, 06:29 AM
1stPlaceRace

I have done it both ways but 95% of the time I cut it after painting. The painting process usually ends with a backing coat. Usually white or silver. If you cut it before painting you end up with a edge thats the same color as the backing. This can really stand out and is not desireable. If you are doing a on road car it is wise to cut the rear wheel well before you paint. Most aftermarket bodies (pro line especially) dont mark those lines so you can get an exact match to your wheelbase. Also get a pair of duratraxx lexan body scissors. They rule Period...... other brands just arent the same. Im not a duratraxx fan but the scissors are the best design available
Old 04-21-2003, 05:00 AM
RC Jack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut & trim the body BEFORE painting. If you wait til after you paint, you might slip cutting/trimming, then you have to live with it. Look at it this way, if you were doing bodywork on a fullsize car, would you do the bodywork before or after you paint it?
The following users liked this post:
Snake Wrangler (07-05-2020)
Old 04-21-2003, 05:04 AM
txt1
My Feedback: (1)

i agree as well
Old 04-21-2003, 05:24 AM
1stPlaceRace

If you chip the body while trimming its not a big deal at all. Touching it up is simple. Thats a good reason to leave your window masking on untill after you are done cutting it out. If you use spray cans especially. I have never had a nick or chip I could not fix.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:22 PM
DT94588

Originally posted by 1stPlaceRace
If you chip the body while trimming its not a big deal at all. Touching it up is simple. Thats a good reason to leave your window masking on untill after you are done cutting it out. If you use spray cans especially. I have never had a nick or chip I could not fix.
Question about removing overspray or when there are paint runs (yes, I goofed with a semi-transparent white paint...it was hard to tell how much went on at first since it was my first time painting a car)? What's the best way to "fix" those?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2003, 06:02 AM
1stPlaceRace

If you want to remove runs your only hope is if you use acrylic paint like faskolor or acryl. Use denatured alcohol for this. Overspray can be removed from the outside of the body using the same or a orange degreaser.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:06 PM
DT94588

awww nuts!

I am using Pactra semi-transparent pearl white. I've got two light coats, and it was on that second coat where I got overzealous and ended up with a small run.

I'm hoping that I can rescue this paint job but putting a few light layers of solid white under the semi-transparent layers.

Bah!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:35 PM
1stPlaceRace

Yes!! thats exactly what you should do. You might want to thicken the rest of the transparent white before backing it though.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:42 PM
DT94588

Originally posted by 1stPlaceRace
Yes!! thats exactly what you should do. You might want to thicken the rest of the transparent white before backing it though.
Should I thicken the transparent white until it blends closely with the run mark before backing with a solid white?
Old 04-22-2003, 10:49 PM
1stPlaceRace

yes, thats what I meant, good luck, this is how you get good at painting these bodies, its definitly a learning process. Ive done 500 + bodies over the years and over 200 in the last year and I still have stuff happen all the time, Just wait untill you have an airbrush let loose of an old piece of crud hidden inside. It usually happens when you are 95 % done and you think your home free.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:04 PM
DT94588

Thanks! It's definitely an exciting (but expensive) process.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:58 PM
rpnick

Well, considering I am seeing this post-facto, I have no choice... What a dork I am for following instructions! I even thought of the issues involved, but I noted where to cut before I painted, at least for the body mounting holes. I am relying on the lines for the valance/wheelwell trimming.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:28 AM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut it after...even if you screw up when its clear,it'll still have that cut.Its way easier to paint first as far as I'm concerned and this is the first one I've done that I cared about so I thats how I did it
Old 05-12-2003, 04:09 AM
spadworld

Cut mount holes first. then paint then cut wheel wells out.