Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Body Patch

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Patch

Ihad to cut a hole in my rc10b4 body to compensate for the velineon ESC i put in it. What do you recommend for a patch? Is there a resource to buy "body" material to cut and glue onto the hole? Should I just buy another body and cut off a portion of it? had the same issue with my spur gear protector piece...had to cut a hole for my motor pinion so I coud get it on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 AM
BlackCatDrifting

Default RE: Body Patch

i know they sell different sizes of lexan that come in sheets you could cut to fit or just buy a new body and start over it would be less hassle then trying to patch unless you already have a nice body and want to keep it. check out towers website they have it on there
Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Well, buying a new body would be futile since the hole would need to be there for the body to fit. The ESC protrudes high enough that the low profile rc10b4 body will not sit how it is designed unless the modification is made. The patch would have to be 3 dimensional as oppose to a flat piece of lexan to compensate for the ESC.

It is fairly handy having the hole there as I can turn on/off the ESC without removing/altering the body at all, but of course it leaves it a bit exposed if I happen to roll the car. (which has happened a few times). Guess Ill have to get creative with the lexan sheet and a lighter to mold the piece Ill need

thx for the response.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:17 PM
authorjim1

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

Well, buying a new body would be futile since the hole would need to be there for the body to fit. The ESC protrudes high enough that the low profile rc10b4 body will not sit how it is designed unless the modification is made. The patch would have to be 3 dimensional as oppose to a flat piece of lexan to compensate for the ESC.

It is fairly handy having the hole there as I can turn on/off the ESC without removing/altering the body at all, but of course it leaves it a bit exposed if I happen to roll the car. (which has happened a few times). Guess Ill have to get creative with the lexan sheet and a lighter to mold the piece Ill need

thx for the response.
I have not checked on this in awhile but some of the hobby shops that deal with plastic car kits offer some molding supplies. I believe these are resins or similar that can be molded to a particular shape. I think you put some protective film over the part to be molded and then pour the resin or whatever it is onto the part. It conforms to the part and hardens. You can then sand and shape the outside. If you do it right it can be then glued to the existing Lexan.

My memory is rough about this, but I know I saw something like what I described. It is used I believe by the plastic modelers when they are trying to create custom designs. Look for a site that caters to these modelers.

Jim
Old 11-15-2009, 07:46 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

see if you can find a hood/roof scoop that will fit over it.