Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm an Idiot!

I'm extremely new to this hobby so I expect to make mistakes while Ilearn. My wife purchased the HPISprint 2 Sport Drift RTR(Nissan 350Z) for me for a Christmas present. The problem I just made is I painted 2 of my lexan bodies with Tamiya TSspray paint instead of PS.

1. Did Imajorly jack up my bodies? If so, can Irecover?

2. What paint is best for "chroming" out the headlight buckets?

3. What can I do to tint the windows?

A bit of education for all who are not aware:

PS Paints:These spray paints were developed especially for decorating transparent polycarbonate bodies used in R/C car modeling. Each can contains 100ml of paint, which is the appropriate amount for finishing a model. Paint the body from the inside, keeping the can about 30cm from the surface. After curing, apply another coat. Small details should be brush painted beforehand using Tamiya bottle paints for polycarbonate. These paints are impervious to oil and fuels, so they can be safely used on gas-powered R/C bodies. Never use these paints on plastic models.

TSPaints:These cans of spray paint are extremely useful for painting large surfaces. The paint is a synthetic lacquer that cures in a short period of time. Each can contains 100ml of paint, which is enough to fully cover 2 or 3, 1/24 scale sized car bodies. Tamiya spray paints are not affected by acrylic or enamel paints. Therefore, following the painting of the entire assembly, details can be added or picked out using enamel and/or acrylic paints. By combining three different paints, the decoration of plastic models will become simpler and more effective.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: I'm an Idiot!

You didn't majorly jack up, the paint may flake and crack more though. As you know, in future always use PS paints for bodies. As for chrome, I use Spaz Stix chrome paint backed with silver. I think Tamiya makes a window tint spray for RC bodies as well.
    RCUniverse.com | Wattflyer.com | RCUvideos.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sheograth,

Thanks. That's good to know. Though I make mistakes, I learn from them. It's good and bad. It's good that I learned something I didn't know before and bad that it costs more. All in all, I haven't waited on someone to do anything on my car since I've had it. I've had problems and the good thing is it was stuff beyond my control. The ESC was DOA out of the box. Luckily, HPI replaced it with no problems. Thanks again and see you around the forum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sheograth,

I've heard somewhere that Shoo Goo is supposed to help prevent cracking and what not. If I apply this to the paint, will it last longer and crack less?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some interesting information I'd like to share. I went out and bought some actual polycarbonate paint instead of whatever TS is supposed to be. Ipurchased the Pactra Outlaw Black as it was the only black in the Hobby store. Itook it home to give the car a final coat as it was only lightly coated previously. I did a test spray in a small spot and inspected it. It dissolved the original coat and stayed itself. It was kind of neat because after making a quick spray, you could see through the lexan. You could even wipe up the the paint that was there. In the end, Irepainted my body and it looks great now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think pactra is lacquer based and you sprayed it over enamel thus breaking down the original paint. Thats why we painters use lacquer thinner to clean our paint guns and airbrushes.