Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

04/05 STi: Finished

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Doonagoowin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04/05 STi: Finished

This body came my used set, and it was all scratched up underneath from the previous owner trying to mask off layers.

Well, I figured since everybody paints underneath, and this was a free body anyways, I'd try and paint the outside.

I'll update the thread as I continue.

First pics:
Sanded, masked, and ready to go.

Now I just need to go pick up some kind of adhesive promoter/primer. And some paint.
I'll decide the paint scheme later, but give me some ideas!

EDIT:

Here it is guys.
1 Light coat of plastic adhesion promoter. 2 coats of metallic silver. 2 coats true pearl blue. Last very light coat of silver. 3 coats of auotomotive clear coat.
I didn't do the best masking jobs or removal of the masks. I learned you have to remove the mask with the line, not UP. oops!
Another mistake I made. I tried to clean off paint specks with acetone. :O Well, that fogged up the rear taillights. Oops again! So I sprayed 2 coats of Candy Red paint on both the inside and outside. Window tint was sprayed on the inside, but I'll do that first next time.

It's a lot darker and less clean in person. I've lightly crashed it a few times, and no cracks/chips so far. We'll see how it holds up.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:30 AM
jonmills

Default RE: 04/05 STi: Finished

wheres the shell? all i see is exhaust.

nice1 mate
Old 08-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Doonagoowin

Default RE: 04/05 STi: Finished

Haha thanks. I'm just gonna stick to painting the inside next time. This doesn't seem like it'll turn out very shiny...