RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/)
-   -   How to get a Carbon Fiber look. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/3815451-how-get-carbon-fiber-look.html)

ASSOCIATED_DRIVER 01-23-2006 08:01 PM

How to get a Carbon Fiber look.

I am a beginner in painting bodies, I am in the process of painting my H2 hummer body, dont really know what to do with it yet. I am planning to paint it with silver becuase the decals are mostly dark (black), but I saw photos of a truck with a carbon fiber look, and I thought that looked awesome.

Can somebody give me an idea how to achieve this carbon fiber look, or will it be to complicated for a beginner?

masterblaster17 01-23-2006 10:03 PM

RE: How to get a Carbon Fiber look.

You need a piece of screen and you lay it down and spray black down then pull up the screen and spray the light gray/silver works best in my expirience.

Triple-A 01-25-2006 04:58 AM

Go to Walmart and get that rubbery matting people use to line drawer's with. It's like 1/8"+1/8" squares. Like masterblaster17 says you have to spray the black first, that's very important. After you remove the matting you can shoot it with gray, silver, gold, metallic blue-green-red-whatever. The gold looks really good I think. Cut some of the excess plastic off the shell and try different colorers.

69 GTO 01-26-2006 03:24 AM

Yupp use the draw liner not a screen. A screen is to small and tight knit to get the desired effect that you will want. I use the large block pattern draw liner from hardware stores to do my carbon fiber backgrounds, its seems to come out the best. The last pic here of the blue hummer I did with the large block drawer liner just to give you an idea of the size to look for.

http://www.freewebs.com/stevescustomlidz/gallery.htm

They have a smaller black pattern but it gets clogged up with paint pretty easy much like sceen will so I always use the large pattern.

xacdesigns 01-26-2006 11:37 AM

mesh drywall tape works well also!

ASSOCIATED_DRIVER 01-26-2006 04:09 PM

spray black down then pull up the screen and spray the light gray/silver
I was adviced before when painting with different colors to start with lighter shade of color then darker colors go last. Is this true? or not always. For the carbon fiber look, do I have to start with the black, then silver?

69-GTO - Thats an awesome paint job on the hummer, one of a kind - how long did it take to finish?

69 GTO 01-26-2006 04:44 PM

As a rule you always try to paint the darker colors before the lighter colors. If you paint a light color first and then a dark color behind it then the dark color will show through the lighter color.

I like to do the black first when doing carbon fiber effects because the silver just comes out too bright and fake looking sometimes if you spray it first.

Thanks. That hummer body took me around 6 hours or so total including masking and cleaning.

Tim Wiltse-RCU 01-27-2006 01:07 PM

Painting a r/c car body is different than paint anything "normal" as you are painting backwards inside the body. If you were paint a real car then yes lightest color first ..r/c car dark color first.

Later,
Tim

CadillacDTS2001 01-27-2006 02:39 PM

or you could just get the carbon fiber vynal its good to un less you plan to put it all over the body lol actualy i have some arriving here soon i will take a pic of it if you ike just ask

WVRedNeck 01-27-2006 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I always put down silver first. Maybe I'm just different:D

CadillacDTS2001 01-27-2006 05:31 PM

i just got mine and it liiks do real

*_Torque_* 01-27-2006 06:16 PM

holy crap guys sum of those cars look really good.. especially yours 69 GTO.. how do yall get soo good at it bcuz im thinkn of strtn to paint bodies too.. what items do yall use ( i dont need every little thing bbut general)...

CadillacDTS2001 01-27-2006 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
how bout this

CadillacDTS2001 01-28-2006 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this it the final jod i did and i added a castle creations logo (as a sponser) lol

ASSOCIATED_DRIVER 01-30-2006 04:37 PM

Eyekandy19 - can you please post some pix of that carbon fiber vynal. Where can i get em and how much does it cost.

[sm=thumbup.gif]Nice job on the boat. Looks like carbon fiber to me..

CadillacDTS2001 01-30-2006 05:57 PM

well i can get all that info in like 2 dayz cuz my aunt works for www.graphiccommerce.com and she gave me a "sample"(lol it was like asheet of 4 feet by 4 feet ) and she sayd it was hard cuz they dont stock it and it is kinda expencive (aperently) but i will chec out how much it is cuz i am llokg to bye a lot for my next boat umm i cant get a pick of the cardonfiber vyanl cuz i used it all but basicly it is just a BIG sticker that is water proof and very thin and light you can heat it up with a blow dryed to get all the creases out and everything also i have put a piece of it ona real cardon fiber boat and you cant tell the diffrence it has the textur of it and eveything

so il get info in like 2 dayz

ASSOCIATED_DRIVER 01-30-2006 11:25 PM

I googled Carbon Fiber Vinyl and saw some pics of it, it is like a decal, then I will by applying them on the outside of the lexan body, is this correct? or does the adhesive side of the vinyl looks the same as the opposite side?

Thanks

CadillacDTS2001 01-31-2006 10:19 AM

no you need to aply it on the outside of the boady the sticky side looks oposite and instead of the blach on grey it is grey on black so it will look the oposit

scottywilkes 02-08-2006 03:31 AM

does anybody know if it would be a good idea to do a carbon paint job on a stadium truck shell. Or would it be to hard because of all the grooves and stuff. CHEERS:D