Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Valiant

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valiant

I am sure that someone has posted about the Valiant but I looked back through a few pages and could not find anything. I rescently had a customer bring one to my Paint shop to finish and I have a few questions. My overall impression is that it is a nice kit, however I do not fully understand a few things and without anytype of instructions I do not want to make a mistake.

He had bought two all white planes and the dates on them are from early 09. He said he had just recieved them but I am not sure. Anyway the rudder servo tray does not even come close to fitting where I think it should go and the battery tray seems to be a long way back according to where the formers fit the fuse.

I have attached a few pics to show what we have been able to do with it, and it is still very lite IMO. The wings were 402 and 403 when we got them and now completely finished they are only 425 each.

The quality of the glass work is superb, however I really must recommend to anyone that is buying one to get it fully painted. Hiding the seams and dealing with all the prehinged surfaces was a lot of work.

My friend is also an F3A pilot and he has asked me to try to set it up the best I can. It seems to me that I remember a few things that I saw on Bret´s and AC´s planes that may have been added after they were finished. Any pics would be appriciated.

I will try to keep you guys posted on the results.

C
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61422.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1512051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14356.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1512052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88184.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1512053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39925.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1512054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23547.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1512055  
Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 PM
pattratt
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Valiant

Chip

You will have to cut the tray narrower to fit where it belongs.
There is a Valiant build thread that has alot of pictures and comments on the Valiant build both power & electric.

Dick
Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 PM
byoung466
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like this paint. It helps the lines of the canopy.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM
mjfrederick

Also, there is a Valiant manual on the Comp-ARF website: [link]http://www.carf-models.com/public_carf/pages/shop/productModel.html?root=product&proId=2098&linkId=@6@2098&title=Valiant F3A[/link]
Old 10-07-2010, 07:03 PM
busnardojavier

My name is Javier Busnardo and I'm from Argentina and I am the owner of the aircraft that shows chip.

I want to thank you for the excellent work done in this model, and also for all that I this teaching on flights of practice and actually works much cares so that everything works perfect, thanks Chippppppp genius

Mi nombre es Busnardo Javier y soy de Argentina y soy el propietario del avión que muestra chip.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 PM
grcourtney
My Feedback: (1)

NICE!! work Chip.

gary
Old 10-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Passport1

Hey thanks guys I got it now. Will let you know how it comes out.

Chip
Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 AM
busnardojavier

Excellent chip thank you for your care and concern

Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Passport1

Hey guys I just found out that the owner of the second Valiant I have here at the shop is not going to be able to fly pattern next year. We have it all prepped ready to paint in his colors but are going to hold off for a bit to see if anyone out there may want a custom painted plane for a reasonable price.

Of course the shipping to the US is a bit high ($300.00) but that will be taken into account on the price of the plane. I have a great builder here that will do all the dirty work at a very reasonable price if one desires. As most of you know they do not come with the canopies mounted and most of the supports are not glued in as well as all the control horns or firewall. After Javiers plane we have taken the time to make some correct templates which will aid in completing another one.

Javier should fly his soon. Please PM me offline do discuss details (Paint scheme, Price, Weights ,Etc.)

Chip
Old 10-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Passport1

I have been sent a bunch of links to the Valiant sites as well as links to the Comp Arf site but none of them have any info on the add ons. I am going to go off memory and kind of take a shot in the dark to try and help Javier get his plane going. I know he inquired about the add on "kit" and I think he was told something like $150.00.

C
Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: Passport1

I have been sent a bunch of links to the Valiant sites as well as links to the Comp Arf site but none of them have any info on the add ons. I am going to go off memory and kind of take a shot in the dark to try and help Javier get his plane going. I know he inquired about the add on ''kit'' and I think he was told something like $150.00.

Personally if I designed a plane incorrectly I would feel horrible and try to help everyone to have at least what I do without an additional charge. Money down here is tight and every dime counts. Again any info or pics would help. This is not my design but I am doing my best to help out a friend.

C
Actually I need to apologize for my wording. I am sure the Valiant was designed correctly. Bryan has his reasons for the add ons. I am going to turn this over to him to try and help Jav. get his plane going. If I do something and the plane is not correct then it will be my fault. As designers we are very much polar opposites and I do not want to have any issues with Bryan or Jav.

Thanks

CH
Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 AM
mjfrederick

Chip,

I didn't realize you wanted information on the "strake". Bryan has comprehensive information on his website: http://hebertcompetitiondesigns.com/...orks.aspx?ID=4 There is even a link in there to order a strake directly from him. There were a few other things I had seen added to and removed from the Valiant for testing purposes. Some may have had no effect whatsoever. Bryan would be the one to ask about that. From what I understand there was a small sub-fin on one of the ones either he or Brett was flying at the Nationals, I don't know that I've ever noticed one on his current #1 plane, and I haven't been to the field in a few weeks. You know Bryan, he ain't happy till it's perfect, so he's always tinkering. The strake is the biggest and most important thing he added to the Valiant, and subsequently to a few Shindens after he realized the positive effects it had, which basically boiled down to more rudder authority.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Passport1

Thank you very much and once again I am sorry for the wording. I was enroute to Uraguay when I posted and we lost internet on the boat and did not get it back again until I returned home today. We talked about it and Javier is going to just try it stock first and then go from there.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 PM
protectedpilot

Hey, Chip.... anybody that can come up with a trick split rudder oughta be able to handle a strake I have one on my Shindens; like the way it flies without the strake, but like it even better with the strake. Still, I'm not an ex-world champ, only learning. I didn't realize the Valiants had found their way into competitors shops down south, though. The setup is pretty straightforward, just use the settings on the Valiant build thread. I've been right there while the exact settings were worked out, it only takes an hour or so after building according to the instructions. My strake took about an hour to build and install. But I don't build much.

You know, on the rudder position, I still have some photos from my hotel room in France where you were having Bryan Hebert modify YOUR rudder post at the '95 WC's. You came in fourth that year, if memory serves. The photos show Bryan changing the angle of the rudder post on the Genesis (nice model.) He'd suggested a different angle to the rudder, as I recall, and did the work on a practice day. You did pretty good with it; I thought you two agreed pretty much at that point on how they should be set up?

Brian

I am sure that someone has posted about the Valiant but I looked back through a few pages and could not find anything. I rescently had a customer bring one to my Paint shop to finish and I have a few questions. My overall impression is that it is a nice kit, however I do not fully understand a few things and without anytype of instructions I do not want to make a mistake.

He had bought two all white planes and the dates on them are from early 09. He said he had just recieved them but I am not sure. Anyway the rudder servo tray does not even come close to fitting where I think it should go and the battery tray seems to be a long way back according to where the formers fit the fuse.

I have attached a few pics to show what we have been able to do with it, and it is still very lite IMO. The wings were 402 and 403 when we got them and now completely finished they are only 425 each.

The quality of the glass work is superb, however I really must recommend to anyone that is buying one to get it fully painted. Hiding the seams and dealing with all the prehinged surfaces was a lot of work.

My friend is also an F3A pilot and he has asked me to try to set it up the best I can. It seems to me that I remember a few things that I saw on Bret´s and AC´s planes that may have been added after they were finished. Any pics would be appriciated.

C
Old 10-18-2010, 08:48 PM
busnardojavier

Ok send them some pictures of how I installed my planetomorrow afternoon to begin the first flights, and thank you for your help chip

<o></o>

Name:	Mk25476.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1519219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14734.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1519220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71472.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1519221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22950.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1519222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43950.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1519223  
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 PM
busnardojavier

Newly arrived from the field and I could fly the valian really surprised a little motor and fly the centered excellent, just a mix for lateral flights and on the second flight was already making the p011.

In the third flight centre tours scorecard for roll snap and the fourth flight already started with f11, range really impress you excellent aircraft, sorry for my bad English, Javier  

Recién llego del campo y pude volar el valian, realmente sorprendido solamente un poco de motor y a volar, el centrado excelente, solo una mezcla para los vuelos laterales y en el segundo vuelo ya estaba realizando la p011.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM
protectedpilot

I must be getting old; they say the memory is the second thing that goes..... it was the biplane SCANDALOUS not the monoplane (eindecker) Genesis that was being modified in our hotel room. And it was the 2005 WC's, not the '95 WC's. Had a long day, was tired. My sinuses were acting up. The sun was in my eyes. Or one of the other excuses all pattern pilots keep handy!!! I messed up!

BUT, Hebert DID modify Chip's plane at the WC's in France, 2005; in our hotel room. Heres a couple of photos to prove it. Sheesh, I'm glad you guys tore me up in private over the errors!

Brian

ORIGINAL: protectedpilot

Hey, Chip.... anybody that can come up with a trick split rudder oughta be able to handle a strake I have one on my Shindens; like the way it flies without the strake, but like it even better with the strake. Still, I'm not an ex-world champ, only learning. I didn't realize the Valiants had found their way into competitors shops down south, though. The setup is pretty straightforward, just use the settings on the Valiant build thread. I've been right there while the exact settings were worked out, it only takes an hour or so after building according to the instructions. My strake took about an hour to build and install. But I don't build much.

You know, on the rudder position, I still have some photos from my hotel room in France where you were having Bryan Hebert modify YOUR rudder post at the '95 WC's. You came in fourth that year, if memory serves. The photos show Bryan changing the angle of the rudder post on the Genesis (nice model.) He'd suggested a different angle to the rudder, as I recall, and did the work on a practice day. You did pretty good with it; I thought you two agreed pretty much at that point on how they should be set up?

Brian

C

Name:	Ca82409.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1519858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85914.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1519859  
Old 10-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Passport1

LOL it says Scandalous on the side in the pic. Turned out the mod did nothing as the model was extremtly tail heavy and we did it together if you remember. I had the idea to try it and Byran being the excellent craftsman he is was able to do it under less then ideal conditions and keep the plane looking nice. I did fly that plane for the next 3 years and still have it.

Now on to more important matters. We did put the dorsal fin on and Javier flew the plane last week and said he liked it. I went with him today and first watched him and it looked pretty good. I flew it once and added the 2% down elevator to throttle and 1.5% left rudder to throttle and it is right on. He is very happy with it and the scheme is super easy to see in the air. It is electric and like all electrics it is right at 5000 grams which is perfect. It is a great snapping plane and is very honest in all aspects of flight. Here are some pics.

C

Name:	Wu61548.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1521606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31045.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1521607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59476.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1521608  
Old 10-25-2010, 08:32 PM
busnardojavier

gjg
Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 PM
busnardojavier

This weekend again fly the aircraft and this excellent flying and also ate very well

Name:	Ca81638.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1523221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67960.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1523222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80703.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1523223  
Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 AM
busnardojavier

remember me:
I am very happy with the plane, I'm here in Argentina and won the championship and win the last coastal date rankin, I'm leaving everyone surprised with my plane