Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

REGULATOR FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:11 PM
lablover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: REGULATOR FAILURE

OK

Reading this thread makes me want to get rid of my reg and batt for the receiver on my first pattern plane (Temptation). I want to eliminate any weak links.

So, that being said... LIfe or A123....Sorry, don't know enough about them to know the difference. Local hobby place carries LIfe..I can order 123's What do I want? 2 M plane with all digital servos

Joe
Old 10-16-2010, 08:21 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

If u can still get A123 1100mah 2 cell pack, it will be more than enough foe 2m pattern planes. It's weight is around 3.5 oz.

Also make sure the servos are rated for 6v.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:31 PM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm probably wrong but I was under the impression A123's were LiFe 
Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your guys take on using the Electronic Switch from PowerBox Systems.  Here is a link in case you've never seen it. https://duraliteflightsystems.com/ac...?product_id=99

It looks pretty good. They show one being installed in my Wind 110 manual.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:54 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

I want to eliminate any weak links.
Then don't use a mechanical on/off switch.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Mike Wiz

I know it's a competing product to yours Ed, but is the switch I linked to above similar in function and protection to what you offer?

ORIGINAL: NJRCFLYER2

Old 10-16-2010, 10:56 PM
NJRCFLYER2

I know it's a competing product to yours Ed, but is the switch I linked to above similar in function and protection to what you offer?
Mike:
I've never seen one, so I don't know a lot about it. The one thing that sounds like a good feature is that it has integrated a heat sink into the on/off switch, which exposes it to the outside air. It's not necessary to do that, but it should be effective. I would be reluctant to integrate the electronics into something that didn't have good isolation from vibration, so unless it's going into an electric powered model, having the circuit board mounted directly to the side of the model doesn't sound like a great idea. So, probably a thumbs up on the thermal design, but maybe not on the mechanical/shock resistance design. Not sure about anything else, i.e. linear vs switcher etc. It's also not clear whether it would support a redundant configuration. If it's a linear regulator inside, and provided that the chip chosen can block reverse current flow from a good battery into a failed battery, then it's probably OK to use in a redundant config, if that is something you're interested in.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Mike Wiz

Ed, you don't have to answer any more. I didn't really want to put you on the spot like this. Sorry about that.....
Old 10-17-2010, 05:14 AM
lablover

ORIGINAL: NJRCFLYER2

Ed

Funny thing, I just took a close look at what was in my new bird (bought used from a friend) and it seems that it's one of your switches and regulators. Now, being a newbie, am I at an advantage here? I'm not familiar with your product.

Thanks

joe
Old 10-17-2010, 09:33 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Ed

Funny thing, I just took a close look at what was in my new bird (bought used from a friend) and it seems that it's one of your switches and regulators. Now, being a newbie, am I at an advantage here? I'm not familiar with your product.

Thanks

joe
Joe:
I would say so. It's a failsafe regulator, meaning that if the switch contacts ever fail, the regulator stays on. It's more than capable of handling the load of any 2M Pattern airplane as-is, with no issues about overheating. If you notice, the regulator chip is connected to the board in a way that a part of the circuit board acts as a heat sink, which you don't find in other designs. It will run significantly cooler than other popular choices. You can also change the output voltage if you want to. It's programmable from 5.75 to 6.65V. If you've got a voltmeter and a spare servo extension that you don't mind sacrificing, I can send you instructions on how to make your own homebrew programmer to change the output voltage. There are 32 separate settings available within that range from 5.75 to 6.65V.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:10 PM
lablover

Yup, that made my day.....
Old 10-20-2010, 06:07 AM
MAVROS

Hi all and thanK you for your valuable advice.
In case you are wonering I have opted for the EMCOTEC DPSI LINEAR REGULATOR.It features twin power supply and twin regulator with filtering and magnetic switch..
I havent as yet tried it !!!

regards
MAVROS
AUSTRALIA