Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Columbia 2010 WOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Gregg G
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Columbia 2010 WOW

Is he holding a cappacino?....
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 PM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Matt,
, I"m holding a little Blue Bird I caught in the Hotel hall, Chip and I chased it down and I caught it!
I would like to thank the organizers of this event ,and the Guys responsible for inviting me to this wonderfull experience.

Chip gave a very informative Radio set up class and I gave a trimming Class and together helped a lot of Pilots (along with Chad Northeast)we were able to help many local fliers set up their airplanes for a better chance at advancing in F3A.
It was good to see guys Like Marcelo Velez instantly improve their flying a good reward for our hard work.

We have faced Many conditions from Wind,Rain, and Sunshine ,who would think you can get sunburn in 75 deg weather
We all did!

This is a must make event its like going on vacation to a resort and a Pattern contest broke out.
I really love the Coffee !

Brett ,Chip,Javier, and I have had a great time together, Ohh Yeah I made Brett Team Manager, he is doing pretty good, and concidering he only had a few practice flights when he arrived , he is handling both task very well.

The YS motors are running Perfect ,all airplanes performing very good.

There is a rumor that they may put a bid in for a World Championships ,,now that would be Great!
Time to sleep , Finals practice starts at 6am[X(]
Im taking videos of the finals and a few from the prelims Chad will try to upload them tomorrow.
Bryan
Old 11-06-2010, 12:29 PM
serious power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,
Hope you all have a great event.
I'm interested to know you guys from the America's think of the flying style of the Euro's ?.
Especially that of Juan Rombaut, ie if the conditions allow his normal slow close flying.
He is the best constant (slow) speed pilot I've seen.
Regards.

Brian
Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 PM
patternjockey
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Bryan

Thanks for the update.... always appreciated. Sounds like a first class event. Looking forward to the final day's scores and that video from Chad.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:02 PM
protectedpilot

I see someone screwed up and let Bryan Hebert get a ping pong paddle in his hand!! They didn't want to do that....trust me, he plays a mean game of ping pong.

Brian C.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Well its finally over and I have to say it was a true marathon event. Lots of flying especially yesterday. I have never flown so many flights of F in so many different conditions. We had them all. Everyone flew very well and any of the top 5 could of won this this event. I will post some more pics upon my return to BA.

C
Old 11-07-2010, 05:07 PM
can773

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I have been quiet this whole time, seems like I was just wore out everyday

This has been a wonderful event, I don't think I have had so many laughs and great times at a flying contest before. The organizers and local flyers were fabulous hosts to all of us, the facility has to be seen to be believed, and the flying was truly top notch.

Then to top it all off we got a special demo of a Blackhawk helicopter that has been fitted with weapons pylons by the Colombian's. I took a couple videos and am uploading them to youtube right now. Everyone got a chance to sit in the heli, and we got some great pictures with some airplanes and the pilots. I will post the link to the video when they are ready.

Again, it has been a wonderful event, and thanks to all the people involved in hosting and organizing the contest, it has been a great time!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:19 PM
can773

Link to the first one,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_b8Iiellf0
Old 11-07-2010, 05:38 PM
can773

Link to the second,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yyr0uaGP2s
Old 11-07-2010, 05:57 PM
can773

Third

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aQnvekNbAw
Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 PM
can773

I am sure these pics won't turn out properly since there seems to be a problem but I will post anyway. These were taken after the heli had landed, doesn't get any better!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM
can773

Fourth video, only one more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFffeTaSDys
Old 11-07-2010, 06:57 PM
can773

Last one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6kGiO5jPUQ
Old 11-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Mvelez

Guys It has been a pleasure to have you here... We learned a ton from all of you.

Regarding Bryan's trimming method, I promised him to upload all the work on my plane in a detailed way and I'll do it as I digest what happened. but I tell you a very simple thing:

IT WORKS IMMEDIATELY... YOU SEE IT FLIGHT BY FLIGHT...

Now, Chad, your plane looks really cool... I like it a Lot...

Hope to have you here again in Colombia for the next one!!!!

Marcelo Velez

Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 AM
guille2006

Hey Marcelo;
I can't wait to read about that trimming method... thanks for it on advance!!!
Regards
G.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
busnardojavier

I want to especially thank Chip Hyde Brian Herbert and Bret were very good friends in this great experience for me, actually transmitted me his experience and his moral support. Three great people for me, thank you  

Quiero agradecer especialmente a Chip Hyde a Brian Herbert y a Bret que fueron muy buenos amigos en esta gran experiencia para mi, realmente me transmitieron su experiencia y su apoyo moral.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:22 AM
serious power

Quote;

'Hi all,
Hope you all have a great event.
I'm interested to know what you guys from the America's think of the flying style of the Euro's ?.
Especially that of Juan Rombaut, ie if the conditions allow his normal slow close flying.
He is the best constant (slow) speed pilot I've seen.
Regards.

Brian '

Anybody ??

Also is there any correlation between the apparent change in scoring and the changing conditions reported.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This was really a great event, conditions changed to all possible scenarios, we were told the wind was always low or calm , and blowing from the left, that means, it's really like that, but on the first day of competition started to "really" blow from the right and front, so everything changed, plus, it also rained, at least half of the days, so most pilots flew in all combinations of weather possible, we also need to add, the sun being in for face in the morning, it was very challenging.

The scores were good as Jorge Olivella (Viruta) is a FAI judge (an already a Jury member of the 2011 Worlds in Muncie), he trained all judges and also a record of the judges performance was kept, actually I think one or two judges were removed form the panels due to inconsistence.

It was an event on a higher level than we all expected, this was a mini world championship to most due to the level of the top pilots.

But when you can share with so many people is when you realize the importance of been there, you don't get to talk with guys like Chip who will take time to set your airplane like you hired him, and get Bryan Hebert on the same place helping other pilots too, I don't think you can get that in any other competition.

I just moved from JR12X to Futaba, and when I mention that to Chip, he wanted to see my transmitter, then he erased everything as I copied Tuny's Axiome and it was not my flying stile, we were all amazed at Chip, he sat in front of the airplane for one hour, and set everything to what he thought it was right, I just said "OK", then he took off my plane and fine tuned the Rud-Elev mix on the fly (really!!!!) it is really impressive, I think he will be able to fly FAI with a motorized BBQ grill or a brick or whatever you throw in his hands. Simply put the most complete pilot I have ever met!! Thanks Chip!!

Then something else happened, Tuny ripped his Axiome's landing gear to a muddy terrain and was out, then Chip, just gave him his De-Ja-Vu, they just binded the model and Chip set everything up and that was it, until the end of the competition.

Then Daniel's YS gave up, a bad front bearing do to overheating previous runs in the island where he flies, and Bryan simple said, ask Brett, it took me longer to explain Brett's than for he to give me his spare motor, he did not care if I made adjustments in his set up as I set up his CDI YS for Glow, he said " I trust you" how cool is that!, just two and one quarter turn in on the regulator just before Daniel's turn, a quick tunning on the HNV and at that moment I found myself starting and holding the airplane to adjust the engine(this was the first and only start of this engine), just then Ney Mancheno from Equador just jumped and holded the airplane for us, I finished the adjustment and he took it to the sound check and off Daniel went, that engine ran like it has been like this forever, and it had insane power!!!! Thanks Brett!!! and gracias Ney!!

In a weird faith of destiny, on the finals Brett's Sw/reg failed, Bryan came running as I was helping on the judging and asked me for a Sw and told him to get Daniel's!! he just ran out of there and I think Brett showed up for his next round of finals probably in five minutes with his aircraft ready.

Everybody here I think helped everybody, it was an amazing experience, we all learned so much and had a blast, I think we all laughed more than we flew it was awesome.

As for the flying styles, I will say it was very different, Chip was fast and big but very very precise, Juan was closer and slower and Wolfgang was in between as well as Chad, it really did not matter the flying stile as the judges were clear in what to deduct from each maneuver, and the size or speed really did not make any difference, positioning and the box was most important, I personally think you can try to copy or adapt to any stile but Chip's, that requires a lot more from a pilot.

It was a great experience, and that type of contest is what we need on this part of the Globe, the Americas need a contest of this type, but after talking about making it FAI sanctioned, it was brought up that if we do that only three pilots from each country can come, limiting the number of pilots will reduce the chance of all the other pilots to attend and learn as we did. I think WE made this event fun and had a blast, and at the same time, we followed the FAI sporting code to the letter.

On the powerplants, at this altitude, it really made not difference if it was electric or YS, both performed equally well in my opinion, the only thing is that with the YS we could be up to 14min(with fuel remaining for 1 or two more minutes) flights against the 8min flight on the electric, so YS flights got reduced to 8min during practice.

Best regards to all,

Alejandro Pereira
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Neo02

Alejandro,

thank you very much for your insightful report. I guess this is why we spend a lot of money on these planes: to meet people like all of you. Awesome!

Fabrizio
Old 11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Gregg G
My Feedback: (7)

The helicopter videos were cool. Is there by chance any videos of the contest?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Ok now that I have had a little time back home I would like to try to answer the question about what I thought of the Euros flying styles.

First off I need to say that Juan R is an incredible pilot and I think that someday he will be a real force in the FAI arena. His style at the beginning was very slow and close in. We had a few conversations about that and I think that he adapted very fast. In the beginning his model was actually much faster coming down then in Horizontal flight or going up. After a few practice flights I noticed a change. Again when it was calm it was a very nice presentation. However he still got beat up a little in the wind.

I know I have said it before but Wolfgang flew incredible. We have been flying together for almost 30 years now and I swear its as good as I have seen him fly. He seems very relaxed and because of that he is really flying well. As always we had a blast together and cannot wait to meet again in Muncie.

Chad flew very well. As a matter of fact I think he had consistantly the bast snaps I have seen. he should of won a round or two but every once in a while he snaps RIGHT lol. (Inside Joke)

Brett, what can I say,nerves of steel. He did not get many practice flights because of school but by the end he was right there. (Well within a point lol) Another inside joke

Paublo and Javier both flew very well and are definantly a force to make the semis at the worlds. It was so cool to watch them improve. At one point Chad mentioned he might have Paublos plane flying a little to good. Both are mode 3 pilots so Chad was able to help fine tune his plane.

Bryan. Bryan was Bryan. He spent 99% of his time helping others and that was a great thing. He was truely in his comfort zone, as were the pilots he helped.

And last but not least our good friend Ney. When I arrived he was relating everything to how his helis fly. After some quick fixes he became an F3A pilot. Even though he didn´t make the finals I know he will in the future.

I really need to thank the guys that made this event possible. Edguerdo(hope I spelled it right) and Roberto. These guys worked every minute of every day to make sure we were all taken care of. MUCHO GRACIAS

C
Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Euardo M. Aviles

Friends:
As technical director of the 2010 South American F3A Open in MedellÃ*n Colombia, I would also like to give my impressions about the event.
First of all, I´d like to highlight the presence of high quality pilots from the Americas and from Europe, giving us all a chance to see different flying styles and to share the human aspect, which is what makes F3A such a great experience.
We had 29 participants from Canada, USA, Venezuela, Colombia, Suriname, Ecuador, Perú, Argentina, Spain and Liechtenstein.
Practices were done in a great manner, allowing pilots such as Chip Hyde and Chad Northeast, with their vast knowledge and extensive experience, to help other pilots calibrate and trim their aircraft and radios. They passed on some ¨inside¨ knowledge in trimming and setting up aircraft. Bryan Herbert, in a very much scientific way was a great source of support for the other pilots in setting up their aircraft as well. In the name of all pilots, I thank them for their selfless use of time towards transmitting their knowledge and experience in sharing such information.
Now on to the competition, it was almost perfect. We flew 5 P11 Preliminary rounds in order to allow as many flights in competition form for the local pilots. They were flown in all kinds of weather conditions. Sunny, warm mornings and afternoons, changing wind conditions that brought temperatures down, foggy skies, in fact a little bit of everything. This made it challenging and fun for all involved.
The 10 best pilots passed on to Finals to fly four F11 rounds. These finals were themselves also flown in varied weather. It was so varied that round 3 was flown mostly in rain (like the euro champs in Austria apparently) and the immediate round 4 was in perfectly calm wind and completely clear skies.
In respect to the technical part of the contest, all FAI rules and protocols were followed. Sound checks were carried out prior to every flight and weightings randomly after. Model processing was done before the competition, and as technical director I tried to have everything flow so as to allow so many flights to occur. We were even interrupted by the brief visit of an Colombian Air Force Helicopter, which was exciting for all, but took time away from the main event.
For the P flights, we had two panels of 5 judges each. Furthermore, we had the presence of Jorge Olivela from Argentina (VIRUTA and FAI technical committee member) as Chief Judge. He also helped prepare the judges prior to the P and F rounds. In case of any doubt, his presence allowed us to resolve most issues before they ended in too much controversy. To all judges my sincere thanks.

For the F rounds, we chose from the best judges of the P rounds and combined them with some of the pilots that did not advance into finals. They were two panels o 5 judges each as well. Having active pilots in the F round judging mixed with the other judges allowed for such precise flights to be observed in the best possible way. To all of them, my most sincere thanks as well.
Finally, all of you have read all the reports on the facilities around the club. They allowed us to conduct a fun contest for all. We had the opportunity to see slow, close in flights from Juan Rombaut, vast precise flights from Chip Hyde and masterful elegance in between from Wolfgang Matt, who in spite of his many years of flying, maintains his top form. Having this great icon of F3A at the event made it truly special. Bryan Herbert, Brett Wickizer and Chad Northeast also contributed immensely with their precise flying, their knowledge and excellent demeanor and approachability. It would be great for you all to let those around you know that this event can be an important option for F3A flying in these parts of the world. It is even an option to include even our families, which so often is a difficult thing to have participate in our activities.
I gave it my best, and I think it turned out very well.
Hopefully we will be able to see each other again in two years´ time, in the 3rd edition of the South American F3A Open.
Un abrazo y Saludos,
Eduardo Aviles
Old 11-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Drojasf3a

hi for everyone , sorry for my english , like my friend Alejandro Pereira related the history i dont have words to say the experience of this contest

thanks for all that make this event posible, thanks to mi partner of the venezuelan team, thanks Brett for trust in Alejandro and me, and give me one fligth with amazing YS POWER UNLIMITED !!!!!

Thanks to all delegation, Thanks to Cristobal and Juan R. for your Friendship and amazing Humility, Thanks Chip for transmit your Knowledge , Thanks to Viruta and his amazing historys of competitions

thanks to Chad and his Wife, Xavier B, W. Matts, Jhon and his friend to Suriname, Thanks to all the pilots from Colombia and Ecuador Federico Hisnestrosa, Ney Manchemo gracias por estar pendiente en mi salida con el ys de Brett

Thanks to mi friend Alejandro Pereira that help me in everything to make posible this travel and competition (Alejandro muchas gracias por todo)

Pablo Kury from Ecuador, Xavier, Lalo and all people that can be possible this beatiful event

like Mr. Matts say " i dont know what happens tomorrow, but if i can, i be there"

Daniel Rojas
F3A Team Venezuela

Old 11-13-2010, 11:23 AM
can773

Hey guys,

I have some problems posting pics on RCU, so Iuploaded a bunch of ours to my Picasa page here,

From Colombia F3A Open

Old 11-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Rombaut

Hi all!

Chad, nice picture takin a shoot

As everybody has said, this Open was really nice with beautiful people and flying a lot...

Click on the link to view a video summary of the open South America in Colombia

http://www.vimeo.com/16824007

Best regards to everybody and see you in Muncie

Juan Rombaut

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.