Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

2011/2012 Master Short Aresti Wrong?

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2011/2012 Master Short Aresti Wrong?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:23 PM
1bwana1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011/2012 Master Short Aresti Wrong?

I have been flying the 2011/2012 Short Masters sequence a little lately. (No, Jarvis, I haven't decided to move up for sure yet. If I do, it will be purely a defensive move to make sure I don't have to judge Masters. LOL!) Coming from an IMAC backround I prefer Aresti to the written descriptions, so I downloaded the Masters Aresti version. Another Masters pilot saw me flying it, and said I was doing manuever #2 (Figure "M") incorrectly. In the Aresti it shows that in the figure M, on the first upline you do a 3 of 4 roll up, stall turn, and a 1/4 roll down. On the second upline the Aresti shows a 1/4 roll up, and a 3 of 4 roll down. In Aresti this is indicated by whether the rolls are placed above or below the horizontal line. The other pilot said that the two uplines are to be flown the same ie. 3 of 4 roll up, 1/4 roll down. This seems to match the abbreviated written description. The manuever can be made to work either way it is flown depending on roll direction. So, is the Aresti wrong, and if so, I think it should be corrected. In my opinion the Aresti is much more detailed than the written descriptions. That is the point of the Aresti language. What would happen at a contest if I showed up and flew it as drawn. Would I get a zero, would everyone else get a zero, or would they accept it both ways?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: 2011/2012 Master Short Aresti Wrong?

I'm gonna respond 'cause I'm learning Aresti and it's fun!

My thought: you are right, and the Aresti is drawn incorrectly. The score sheet says "3/4 point roll up" and that's what's in the written description. The Aresti has the second leg opposite like you said, and although I think that looks cooler, you would probably get tagged a '0' for following the Aresti unless you can fool the judges - it's been known to happen

I don't know if the way the Aresti is written (up leg vertical maneuver written above the horiz. line) changes because of the way they are linked.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

In pattern the written description is the most important, not the Aresti. Fly it by the written.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 1bwana1

I have been flying the 2011/2012 Short Masters sequence a little lately. (No, Jarvis, I haven't decided to move up for sure yet. If I do, it will be purely a defensive move to make sure I don't have to judge Masters. LOL! ) Coming from an IMAC backround I prefer Arresti to the written descriptions, so I downloaded the Masters Arresti version. Another Masters pilot saw me flying it, and said I was doing manuever #2 (Figure ''M'') incorrectly. In the Arresti it shows that in the figure M, on the first upline you do a 3 of 4 roll up, stall turn, and a 1/4 roll down. On the second upline the Arresti shows a 1/4 roll up, and a 3 of 4 roll down. In Arresti this is indicated by whether the rolls are placed above or below the horizontal line. The other pilot said that the two uplines are to be flown the same ie. 3 of 4 roll up, 1/4 roll down. This seems to match the abbreviated written description. The manuever can be made to work either way it is flown depending on roll direction. So, is the Arresti wrong, and if so, I think it should be corrected. In my opinion the Arresti is much more detailed than the written descriptions. That is the point of the Arresti language. What would happen at a contest if I showed up and flew it as drawn. Would I get a zero, would everyone else get a zero, or would they accept it both ways?

At a contest, you would get the zero. The 3/4 points are on the uplines.

However, I'm glad you caught the error in the Aresti diagram. Pattern only recently (last 10 years or so) has started to show Aresti diagrams. Even more recently, ribbon diagrams have been shown. The written description has been the guiding word so to speak, for decades
Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 PM
jarvis johnson
My Feedback: (15)

Come On......, Fly Master's, The crew went out on Sunday, I like it, just need to put in, alot more flight
Old 11-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Scott Smith
My Feedback: (4)

I can see how having the rolls above or below the horizontal line easies readability, but I though the curve was all that mattered? ...fly into the cup (in which case it is correct.)
Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

http://nsrca.us//images/stories/curr...ort_Aresti.pdf

http://nsrca.us/documents/judging/cu...8F3AAresti.pdf

When you compare the two Figure "M" maneuvers in the Masters short link and the preliminary P-11 (second page) you can see the aresti for the Figure M in the Masters Short sequence aresti is a bit shonky and needs to be fixed up.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 PM
1bwana1

ORIGINAL: Scott Smith

I can see how having the rolls above or below the horizontal line easies readability, but I though the curve was all that mattered? ...fly into the cup (in which case it is correct.)
You are correct, you do fly into the cup of a roll symbol. However the whole point of the horizontal line in the Hammerhead figure is to define what happens up, and what happens down ,so in this case it is impossible to properly reconcile the two. It is a grammaticaly incorrect drawing.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Scott Smith
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: 1bwana1

You are correct, you do fly into the cup of a roll symbol. However the whole point of the horizontal line in the Hammerhead figure is to define what happens up, and what happens down ,so in this case it is impossible to properly reconcile the two. It is a grammaticaly incorrect drawing.
I can see that on a turnaround. But for the M (entry, loop bottom and exit all at the same altitude) grammatically speaking, that horizontal line in the middle is wrong. This to me looks the most corect...but I'm no expert!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:17 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Stay tuned, a revised Aresti will be posted soon thanks to Tom Miller. Tom did all the Aresti diagrams for the NSRCA.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:59 AM
1bwana1

Thanks Joe, and a big thanks to Tom Miller for all of his hard work with the drawings.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:07 AM
Derek.Koopowitz

The revised Aresti for Masters has been posted...