Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Phoenix flight sim installation on an apple IMAC

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Phoenix flight sim installation on an apple IMAC

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 02:55 PM
viva_peru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phoenix flight sim installation on an apple IMAC

Hello all,

I just got the Phoenix flight sim for Christmas and from what I could tell it is the only sim which is compatible with an IMAC computer. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using it on an IMAC; I insert the CD and nothing happens and unfortunately the instructions than came with the software are next to useless if you have a MAC. The system does not appear to recognize the .exe files either so I have no idea of what to do. Any suggestions?

The computer is pretty new and it is running version 10.6 MAC OS, I believe that it is called "snow leopard". From what I can tell, it seems to me that I should be running booting up the machine as a Windows machine using Bootcamp but I have not idea of how to do that or if I am even correct in thinking so.

Thanks,

Teo

PS We got this IMAC simply because of the virus issues we have had with other PC computers, but to tell you the truth, I find most of the apple stuff a pain in the neck to use. Not as intuituitive as I thought it would be. At any rate I will probably get flamed for saying such things, but keep in mind that I am frustrated with the silly thing right now.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:55 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix flight sim installation on an apple IMAC

You need to partition your hard drive and load Windows. Then you can load and run any Windows program.

Jim
Old 12-26-2010, 06:00 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

If you have the PARALLELS Desktop software (usually come with the purchase of a Mac these days), you can install a copy of Windows on a "virtual machine" provided by the PARALLELS. On top of that Windows, you can install and run what-ever software written for Windows.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 PM
viva_peru

Nonstoprc,

I looked for Parallels within the software list for the Machine and I could not find it so I figured that it did not come with it. At any rate, it seems that I need to purchase and install a copy of windows on the IMAC in order to get the software to run. Is that correct? If that is the case, I don't think the sim is worth it and I will simply return it or sell it to someone else within my club. I have flown it before and it seems that it could be a useful tool with which to practice new manuevers, but nonetheless, it has a somewhat artificial feel to it. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for the advice,

Teo
Old 12-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Jason Arnold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day Teo,

To get Phoenix to run on your Imac, you're best off to install and run bootcamp. Then install Windows XP SP2 on the bootcamp partition. Then start up Windows and install Phoenix. I found that Parallels was too slow on the graphics side of things.

Even better, return your Phoenix and buy Ikarus Aerofly Deluxe PRO. It runs on OS X.

Regards,
Jason.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Teo,

If u have an old version of Windows like XP, you can install it on top of the Parallels. It is legal to transfer a copy of Windows to a different machine. To get the best performance for the flight sim, Parallels 6.0 is the best way to go. Several recent reviews such as Ars' have high marks on graphics for 6.0. You may also fall back to the bootcamp (dual boot) idea with Parallels if 6.0 is not fast enough.

Thanks. -QC
Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 AM
viva_peru

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. I will check into aerofly. I believe that it is a better sim than the Phoenix and by the time I get Windows installed in the MAC, the price will be about the same. I should have done a little more research up front. I believe that I do have an older version of XP, so maybe that is also an alternative. I will have to do some digging around.

Thanks,

Teo
Old 12-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Jason Arnold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Teo,

Your version of Windows XP must be Service Pack 2 to be used on Bootcamp.

But as previously stated, running Aerofly negates the need to infect your Mac with a Microsoft product.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:06 PM
viva_peru

Jason,

Thanks for the info. I will check to see what I have.

Teo