Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

what paint for fiberglass fuse's

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 AM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what paint for fiberglass fuse's

I was wondering what paint and painting methods you guys use for your fiberglass fuse's.
the only fiberglass parts i havedone are fiberglass cowls using monokote or ultrcote paints.
i dont think thats what you guys are using to get such nice paint jobs on your pattern ships.
can you tell me what you use and how you do it.? (equimpment and paint)do you paint the balsa wings
if so how do i go about that. do you clearcoatafter your done.maybe you know of some links to
show me how to do some of this any help i would be greatful
thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
grcourtney
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: what paint for fiberglass fuse's

ppg concept

g
Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

I've used PPGConcept and Omni. More recently Ihave taken to using Klass Kote epoxy based paint. Ilike them all, but Ithink Iwill stay with the Klass Kote for two main reasons. First is safety, since the Klass Kote isless reactive if you do come in contact with it. You still need to use a proper respirator and protection for your hands, but Ilike the fact that the overspray and fumes that drift out of the paint shop are not as volatile. The 2nd reason is cost.

The Klass Kote is a little less glossy than the PPGConcept finish, but it is still very nice, plus it flows out very nicely. Iam convinced that you can save some weight, probably 2or 3 oz on a typical 2M project, since it seems easier to me to flow get the finish coat looking right with less material sprayed.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:39 PM
lodomjr
My Feedback: (6)

PPG Concept single stage. Single stage is fuel proof and does not need to be clear coated. Just my 2 cents

Larry
Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Klass Kote epoxy paint and the result is pretty good. It is not as perfectly smooth as PPG though.

On PPG, just wonder what kind of protection one should have when spray it. I never tried PPG myself.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM
KLXMASTER14

+1 for Klass Kote.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:52 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

PPG is great stuff, but it is isocyanide based which is quite toxic. I believe an air supplied respirator is recommended when you spray it, however I never used one, but I painted in my garage which was easy to keep well ventilated (bug free was another issue [:@]. I used Hobbypoxy and Superpoxy paints for years with great success and when I paint again I will be using KlassKote myself. Automotive paints provide a terrific finish and almost unlimited number of colors. I just want a light, durable, fade and fuel resistant finish as I'm not competing at Toledo. )
Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 PM
emilsanto

are you competing flying or model building for the toledo show ? if the show what are you building i will keep a look out for it
thanks
ORIGINAL: flywilly

PPG is great stuff, but it is isocyanide based which is quite toxic. I believe an air supplied respirator is recommended when you spray it, however I never used one, but I painted in my garage which was easy to keep well ventilated (bug free was another issue [:@]. I used Hobbypoxy and Superpoxy paints for years with great success and when I paint again I will be using KlassKote myself. Automotive paints provide a terrific finish and almost unlimited number of colors. I just want a light, durable, fade and fuel resistant finish as I'm not competing at Toledo. )
Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: NJRCFLYER2

I've used PPG Concept and Omni. More recently I have taken to using Klass Kote epoxy based paint. I like them all, but I think I will stay with the Klass Kote for two main reasons. First is safety, since the Klass Kote is less reactive if you do come in contact with it. You still need to use a proper respirator and protection for your hands, but I like the fact that the overspray and fumes that drift out of the paint shop are not as volatile. The 2nd reason is cost.

The Klass Kote is a little less glossy than the PPG Concept finish, but it is still very nice, plus it flows out very nicely. I am convinced that you can save some weight, probably 2or 3 oz on a typical 2M project, since it seems easier to me to flow get the finish coat looking right with less material sprayed.
Epoxy paints are pretty bullet proof for glow fuel or gasoline. The Klass Kote yellow was a little off but I understand talking with Ed, their new yellow formula is fine. I've found the KK epoxy paints to cure quickly and become epoxy hard over short time. As Ed sez, it isn't as shiny as the polyU paints like Concept, Omni or Imron, but it may be good enough for many. If one wants the super glossy finish, he could clear coat the epoxy paint with one of the polyU clear paints. That's what I do

I always use the polyU paints in a well ventilated area and always use a cartridge mask rated for organic vapors. I use the mask for epoxy paints and dopes too. BTW- you know you have the mask on right if can't detect any odor. If odor comes through the mask, re-adjust the mask, change the cartridges or stop spraying to clear fumes. A fresh air mask is better but I don't have one of those.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 AM
Jeff-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Don't underestimate what you can do with spray cans. These were both done with Lusterkote.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39260.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	1568593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20237.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1568594  
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 AM
jaaskela

Epoxies do have great chemical resistance properties, but they're not really suitable for use as topcoats or clear coats in outdoor applications, because UV rays inevitably attack and decompose the polymer matrix (chalking). Maybe a UV-stabilized epoxy can handle it if you don't fly a lot in the sun, but I wouldn't bother trying it when there are plenty of proven acrylic and polyurethane systems available. Just my 2c...
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Strat2003

This is my recently completed Xigris C2, done in Ultracote and Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2X. It goes on easy, rubs out to a nice shine and covers very well. It added about 2 1/2 ounces to the fuselage, cowling, canopy and wheel pants. Don't know about how it stands up to fuel but I'm very happy with it for an electric model.
Scott

Name:	Fd91764.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	1568685  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Strat2003

This is my recently completed Xigris C2, done in Ultracote and Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2X. It goes on easy, rubs out to a nice shine and covers very well. It added about 2 1/2 ounces to the fuselage, cowling, canopy and wheel pants. Don't know about how it stands up to fuel but I'm very happy with it for an electric model.
Scott
I really like the skis
Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: jaaskela

Epoxies do have great chemical resistance properties, but they're not really suitable for use as topcoats or clear coats in outdoor applications, because UV rays inevitably attack and decompose the polymer matrix (chalking). Maybe a UV-stabilized epoxy can handle it if you don't fly a lot in the sun, but I wouldn't bother trying it when there are plenty of proven acrylic and polyurethane systems available. Just my 2c...
I've finished many models over the years in epoxy and flew the models in some of the most sun drenched conditions in the US (Texas and Florida). Never had any issue with chalking...just not enough exposure to UV light. For our application, there is absolutely nothing wrong with epoxy paint. If you also use a clear coat over the epoxy (I usually use Omni polyU clear) it is bullet proof.

By only using clear polyU and not all top coats, I minimize exposure of my body to isocyanates.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 AM
emilsanto

where do you get the clear polyU.?
also my buddy ask if it would be good for sealing the seams on his arf covering.? he is looking for something that wont yellow. he tried nail polish before but he said it turned yellow
thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: emilsanto

where do you get the clear polyU.?
also my buddy ask if it would be good for sealing the seams on his arf covering.? he is looking for something that wont yellow. he tried nail polish before but he said it turned yellow
thanks

I have a local supplier that carries PPG's Omni line. Look on-line for a suppier near your home.

PolyU paints in general adhere well to a well cleaned plastic covering. I also buff the plastic with 1000 or 1500 grit wet or dry, used wet, b4 spraying. But this step isn't mandatory.

Tell your friend to make sure the ARFie plastic is well layed down first, cleaned as well as possible with prepsol or equivalent, then spray away. I would spray the whole model. Over time, not only will the seams stay put, the whole covering job will tend to stay bubble free. Plus it produces outstanding, even shine throughout
Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
MarkGrabowski

ORIGINAL: Strat2003

Scott
Wow, that came out nice. I was wondering how close is the color match between the paint and film...
what are the colors called that you used?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:41 PM
KGSS28

+ 2 for Klass Kote . Easy application, good gloss , can be rubbed out if desired after full cure . I have no fade or color change that I can tell after a year of flying every day .
Old 02-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Strat2003

The colors I used are Apple Red, Sun Yellow, Winter Gray, Gloss White and....too dark blue, lol. The red is a good but not perfect match to the Ultracote red, the yellow a little too pastel and the white is good. The blue is just too dark but since I didn't put it up against the blue covering it looks OK....it's just another color.
The coverage was very good so it didn't take a lot of paint to get satisfactory results. The lettering on the side is the same paint as the canopy. I applied it directly over the dark blue without any show-thruough.

This isn't a Toledo-quality finish but it's very acceptable and inexpensive. The automotive paints I priced (in the smallest quantities my auto parts store would sell) were just too expensive for my budget.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 AM
jrpav1
My Feedback: (17)

I have to paint in my basement so automotive paint is not really an option for me. I found some water-born catalyzed Urethane that's made by System 3 (marine finishes):

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/paint.html

It comes in colors that match Monokote + Ultrakote and you can apply just color (it's technically a "single-stage" paint) or color + clear. The downside is it's not very glossy unless you color-sand and buff. Not a big deal to me because I always end up with some dust in the paint anyhow. Since it's reduced with water you don't need to buy a lot of other stuff besides the paint BUT it is verey dependant on shop conditions. If your shop is dry, it will flash off quickly and you'll end up with dry overspray in some areas. Again, not a big deal if you color-sand. You have to add the catalyst to improve the fuel resistance however but you don't need to use clear if you don't want to (saves weight). For a 2-meter fuse + fin you can expect to add 2-4 oz. using this paint - depending on how much you apply of course. Like anything else, there's no substitute for proper technique.

I wouldn't recommend this for everyone because it is quite a lot more work to get a super glossy finish from this stuff as opposed to automotive paint (if you have a spray booth you can just paint and go - no need to color-sand + buff). If you're concerned about breathing any fumes though this is by far one of the safest systems to use.

Here's a pic. of my Black magic that was covered in silkspan and painted with the Nelson / System 3 paint on the fuse and fin (the wings and stab. are Monokote). It's been out in the sun quite a bit. The plane is about 3 years old now and it still looks great. It's holding up to 15% nitro just fine.

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic

Name:	Yw66599.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1569192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37150.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1569193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82408.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	1569194  
Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Strat2003

I don't believe Nelson is in business any longer.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 PM
emilsanto

where did you get the black magic kit/plans
thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 PM
glowplugboy

ORIGINAL: Jeff-RCU

Don't underestimate what you can do with spray cans. These were both done with Lusterkote.
What's the airframe on the right?

Mike
Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

That would be a Jupiter
Old 03-06-2011, 10:24 PM
glowplugboy

ORIGINAL: toddblose

That would be a Jupiter
Ah Ha! Comes from the Hanno "Joker" era if memory serves me correctly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.