Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Fresno Contest 2011

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 AM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fresno Contest 2011

As far as diminishing numbers in Pattern...... I am a relatively new pattern flyer. I think there are two things we can do to increase our numbers. Ist off, Ask your regular caller to take a break and get someone else to give calling for you a try. I think you'll find a willing subject waiting in the wings. Before you know it your new caller will be critiqueing your flying and offering you advice. Graciosly accept it and move on. This takes some of the mystique away from the sequence and soon the new guy might just say... Hey, I think I could do that.... And most can.
Second, Try to make your contest a little better and nicer each year. I am fortunate to have a super team behind me in St.Clairsville, Ohio. We have 7 of 40 in our club that compete regularly and with their help and that of their wonderful wives, our contest has been bigger and better each year.
Back to the 1st point. All of this was made possible because of one Archie Stafford asking me to call for him once. + 7 for the good guys!!!

Thanks Arch and Thank you Team St.C.

Rick Cilles P.S. No Hijack intended
Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tony hits the nail on the head I think. If something isn't fun, people aren't going to spend a lot of time and effort to participate in it.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Tony hits the nail on the head I think. If something isn't fun, people aren't going to spend a lot of time and effort to participate in it.
IMAC and Pattern are essentially the same thing with different sized planes...

what is Fun'r about IMAC than Pattern???

that is what I can't figure out....

though... the IMAC crowd I am familiar with are Wild and Crazy guys compared to the pattern folks I know.....
Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: mithrandir

though... the IMAC crowd I am familiar with are Wild and Crazy guys compared to the pattern folks I know.....

Mike, IMAC and Pattern really are worlds apart. The main difference other then the aircraft themselves are the sequences. IMO IMAC sequences are much more difficult and the airplanes don't fly quite as well. Full scale airplanes are full of control cross coupling and models retain some of these bad charictaristics. Thats why you see IMAC models with streched fuselages and stab placement lower then what would be scale. Usually the wings are moved up on the fus a tad too.

I may be wrong here but I get the indication you are also mixing IMAC pilots in with 3D pilots. Again, not the same. Lots of guys sport fly scale aerobats. They are big to satisfy the ego and are fun to fly. You have owned a few 40% airplanes so you can relate to that. Maybe 10% of those flying 50cc and above will actually try IMAC while virtually 100% will attempt 3D one way or another.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie
Maybe 10% of those flying 50cc and above will actually try IMAC while virtually 100% will attempt 3D one way or another.
I have seen more than one instance where the pilot actually ended up doing some very nice 3D while actually trying to fly a sequence!! [&:] Precision flying looks easy until you actually try to do it!!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:18 PM
mithrandir

ORIGINAL: mithrandir

Mike, IMAC and Pattern really are worlds apart. The main difference other then the aircraft themselves are the sequences. IMO IMAC sequences are much more difficult and the airplanes don't fly quite as well. Full scale airplanes are full of control cross coupling and models retain some of these bad charictaristics. Thats why you see IMAC models with streched fuselages and stab placement lower then what would be scale. Usually the wings are moved up on the fus a tad too.

I may be wrong here but I get the indication you are also mixing IMAC pilots in with 3D pilots. Again, not the same. Lots of guys sport fly scale aerobats. They are big to satisfy the ego and are fun to fly. You have owned a few 40% airplanes so you can relate to that. Maybe 10% of those flying 50cc and above will actually try IMAC while virtually 100% will attempt 3D one way or another.

From the point of view of an entry level guy.... they are the same 'cept for plane size.... those who have done both appreciate the differences...
Indeed the 3D guys are nuts.... but even the IMAC guys seem more wild and crazy than the pattern guys.... not a slam or putdown.. just my observation... (based on a small sample)

Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 AM
speedracerntrixie

Mike, I will agree that the pattern guys are a bit " Mellow " compared to the IMAC guys. I did however think we were discussing the actual events and not the participants. From an entry level perspective Superbike and Moto GP look the same but obviously are not. May I suggest you download the advanced sequences for both IMAC and Pattern, compare the two and then let me know if you still think they are " Basically the same". As far as airplane size goes, one can be competitive in IMAC without a 40% airplane. If I had not lost it to a reg failure I would be flying a 50cc airplane in IMAC Unlimited. I will be doing so next year as two replacements are being built now even though I have a Compy 3M Extra airframe just needing a coat of paint in the garage.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53784.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1618800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35015.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1618801  
Old 06-04-2011, 09:33 AM
mithrandir

Mike, I will agree that the pattern guys are a bit '' Mellow '' compared to the IMAC guys. I did however think we were discussing the actual events and not the participants. From an entry level perspective Superbike and Moto GP look the same but obviously are not. May I suggest you download the advanced sequences for both IMAC and Pattern, compare the two and then let me know if you still think they are '' Basically the same''. As far as airplane size goes, one can be competitive in IMAC without a 40% airplane. If I had not lost it to a reg failure I would be flying a 50cc airplane in IMAC Unlimited. I will be doing so next year as two replacements are being built now even though I have a Compy 3M Extra airframe just needing a coat of paint in the garage.

I downloaded the two sequences some time ago... ( unlimited IMAC & FAI)..... honestly... the pattern seems more overall challenging... the IMAC is a bunch of maneuvers that are medium hard made difficult by adding a bunch of snaps lol
Old 06-04-2011, 12:18 PM
jim woodward

Mike, I will agree that the pattern guys are a bit '' Mellow '' compared to the IMAC guys. I did however think we were discussing the actual events and not the participants. From an entry level perspective Superbike and Moto GP look the same but obviously are not. May I suggest you download the advanced sequences for both IMAC and Pattern, compare the two and then let me know if you still think they are '' Basically the same''. As far as airplane size goes, one can be competitive in IMAC without a 40% airplane. If I had not lost it to a reg failure I would be flying a 50cc airplane in IMAC Unlimited. I will be doing so next year as two replacements are being built now even though I have a Compy 3M Extra airframe just needing a coat of paint in the garage.

What 50cc plane are you considering for Unlimited?

FAI P11 and F11 combination is more difficult than IMAC Unlimited + unknown.

I thought electric was supposed to save pattern - cheaper, easier, quieter, more powerful, no vibration, anyone can use it, etc...

Jim
Old 06-04-2011, 03:11 PM
speedracerntrixie

Jim, after reviewing the FAI sequences I will have to agree that they appear to be at least equal to the IMAC unlimited sequence. I still think the Unknown is going to be a little more difficult simply because in best case senario, you and your caller have about 14 hours to work it out with a stick plane and the only time you fly it during the weekend is in front of the judges. Remember that pattern planes have better flight charictaristics then their scale IMAC counterparts which leads to more pilot load and I feel that has to be taken into consideration as well. I did however ask Mike to look at the Advanced sequences as I feel they represent mainstream capabilities. Not everyone who flies pattern will advance into Masters or FAI.

The 50cc airplane that I flew in unlimited once last year and will have a pair ready for next year is my version of a Godfry/Lanier Laser. It is 33% but I was able to get it down to 15# and powered it with a DA50. Although an older design it flies close to some of the 40% airplanes I have owned and even better then some. There are a few tweaks that are being incorperated into the new ones like less dihidral to eliminate the slight rudder/roll couple, a larger rudder alond with airfoiled tail section and a tuned pipe setup as it did lack power but not by much. I'm looking at a projected weight of 16#.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:47 PM
mithrandir

an unknown can be intimidating....