Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Mid-Size e-Pattern???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid-Size e-Pattern???

Hi, guys. Looking for mid-60"+ e-power for 6S, maybe something like the Sebart Wind 50e or Hyperion Helios 90e. Would appreciate any comments, pro or con, about these or others. NOT for competition, I just want to have a nice, precise e-power bird to handle these Okie winds.
Also don't want to jump to the 10S, 2M jobs for ease of setup, transport, blah blah.

I would appreciate any comments on the build quality and overall performance of these two. Of course, if I'm overlooking anything feasible, please let me know that, too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Warrior523

Default RE: Mid-Size e-Pattern???

Hi Bob,

Hope all is going great for you and yours. I noticed your post and thought I would throw in the Osiris. It is about 62 inches and most are using 5s packs with a hacker. One guy here in Springfield has one and if flys very nicely. I am sure there is a thread on it here on RCU and under sport flying on RC Groups there is a 100 plus page thread and links to Jesky fling one. I know Chris Moon at F3A Unlimited sells them and I believe it is 3DHobbies also.

Might be worth a look if you haven't all ready.

Dan Curtis
Old 06-04-2011, 10:46 AM
RCBruski65
My Feedback: (44)

Bob I have a wind S 50e and the quality of the build is great. The hardware is okay but I swapped some of it out. It's a built up 2 piece fully sheeted wing and built up fully sheeted stab. 2 servos in the stabs. Only build problem was loose stab tube and I just glued it in. With the hacker a50-16s and 6s 4000 battery I am pulling 71 amps at 1600 watts. Great power.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: Warrior523

Hi Bob,

Hope all is going great for you and yours. I noticed your post and thought I would throw in the Osiris. It is about 62 inches and most are using 5s packs with a hacker. One guy here in Springfield has one and if flys very nicely. I am sure there is a thread on it here on RCU and under sport flying on RC Groups there is a 100 plus page thread and links to Jesky fling one. I know Chris Moon at F3A Unlimited sells them and I believe it is 3DHobbies also.

Might be worth a look if you haven't all ready.

Dan Curtis
Dan - that Osiris looks VERY sweet....looks like more of a "contemporary" wide-body....assuming I could hang my 6S setup in there and enjoy longer battery time with my 50-65-20Kv....thanks. Gives me something else to ponder!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Bob,

Don't over look the Miss Wind Bipe.

It's a whole lot of fun in a small package. Outside a 2x2 it's the most fun I've had with an airplane.

Tim
Old 06-04-2011, 03:10 PM
ArchNemesis

I would also HIGHLY recommend the 62" Osiris.  The kit is excellent, it goes together quickly and flies extremely well. We're flying it on 5S packs, but there is a motor set up for 6S, and it's probably easier on the batteries.  TON'S of power on the 5S setup but the draw is high and you're limited to about 6min on a 5000 pack. The 6s also has a ton of power with lower draw and longer flight times.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:28 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I agree on the Osiris. Mine is a 6S setup and with a 5000 mAh pack I get an easy 7:30 of Masters flying. It is really a great pattern model regardless of the size. Using it I won the last two rounds of Masters at the last contest flying against Nats finalists. So it is very capable.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 PM
mprediger
My Feedback: (11)

OffTopic
Bob, good to see you made it through the rough weather.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: mprediger

OffTopic
Thanks! 1.1 miles to center of track. Closest we've been to an EF5.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: TonyF

I agree on the Osiris. Mine is a 6S setup and with a 5000 mAh pack I get an easy 7:30 of Masters flying. It is really a great pattern model regardless of the size. Using it I won the last two rounds of Masters at the last contest flying against Nats finalists. So it is very capable.
Tony, that's pretty high praise....BUT....we all know you could probably do that with some god-awful twisted-up, underpowered "stik"....but I appreciate your input and endorsement of the design.

I can only get "one", so I want to ponder it a bit...Thanks!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: mprediger

OffTopic
Thanks! 1.1 miles to center of track. Closest we've been to an EF5.
Geez, 1.1 miles is much too close for comfort. Glad you made it through Bob

One of the guys in my club has an Osiris and sez it flies well. I saw Arch Stafford at a contest two weeks ago flying the small Wind and he said it flew fine. Don't know what they are using for power but suspect your 6S will fill the bill nicely.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:51 PM
desertrider49
My Feedback: (5)

I have a wind 50e, and I do not recommend it. Get the osiris. Put your 6s set up in it and fly the crap out of it.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:17 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wind 50 and the Osiris are both great flying planes. On the Wind, I would definitely recommend a 6S setup, but they are both excellent flying airplanes,

Arch
Old 06-05-2011, 04:03 AM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

The Wind 50 and the Osiris are both great flying planes. On the Wind, I would definitely recommend a 6S setup, but they are both excellent flying airplanes,

Arch
Thanks, Arch and Matt, (and everyone else).I appreciate your responses....particularly when it is "The Weekend"

I'm leaning toward the Osiris, if not for any reason other than it's overall shape and moments; it looks to me more suited to my slower-paced style, yet still maintain lots of control authority.

My only concern, from reading the manual, is that elevator joiner, single-servo-setup deal. I'm sure the slots in the elevators would match, but my experience has been hinge-line vertical centering is frequently an issue with arfs like this. Would anyone who has assembled one chime in and tell me a little bit about that elevator joiner/hinge line concern?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:17 AM
n233w

Would anyone who has assembled one chime in and tell me a little bit about that elevator joiner/hinge line concern?
I had to alter the fit of the joiner so that both halves were in line with one another. The elevator hinge line is slightly offset so it's a bit proud on the top of the stab, but it's equal all the way across the surface, so I don't suppose it affects the flight too much. But since I'm relatively new to the sport and this is my first serious balsa plane, take what I say with a grain of salt.

I had been looking at what 5s pattern plane to buy for over a year, had narrowed it down to the 50e vs. Osiris. I went with the Osiris after seeing the video and seeing the high level of engagement and support of the community and the owner of 3d hobby shop on rcgroups. By all accounts, I made the right choice.

Bill

Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Bob Pastorello

Just thought I'd reply back to those who offered encouragement and suggestions.
I went with the Osiris, finished it this long weekend, flew first onJuly 3rd. Had some power issues due to my lack of understanding of Kv and propping, got that straightened out, and flew the past two days with it "proper".
It is a very, very solid airframe, very straight, with no bad habits that I can see so far. Running a 16x10e with a 50-65-400kv and 6S4000, 65A peak, and about 1340 watts, giveor take,and it gets about 5:30 or so flight times, depending on my need for vertical.
It is an amazing snapping pattern airplane, and rolls exceptionally well.

I had *completely* forgotten about how truly enjoyable flying a precise airframe can be....there just ain't NUTHIN' like a Pattern airframe for a precision junkie.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys. It definitely seems I made the right choice.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:08 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Hi Bob. Glad you like it. I knew you would. Mine is going as my back-up for the Nats. I hope I don't have to use it, but if I do it will still be fun!