Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Judging Certification class at the Nats

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Judging Certification class at the Nats

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Judging Certification class at the Nats

All,
We have moved the Judging School Certification at the Nats to 1:00 PM at AMA HQ on Tuesday, August 2. Jim Quinn will be hosting the event and teaching the class. We are not sure which room we will use yet but it will be at headquarters. Remember, you MUST be certified in order to compete so if you haven't attended the class, you must attend this session if you are of US origin. Jim wanted to move it to 1:00 PM on Tuesday as some folks will not be arriving until sometime that day. We expect about 50 people at this class. Make sure you get this done or you will be unable to compete.

Thank you,
Scott
NSRCASecretary
Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 AM
smcharg

Default RE: Judging Certification class at the Nats

All,
   The Judging Seminar will be in the Board Meeting Room upstairs at AMA Headquarters at 1 PM on Tuesday, August 2nd.

I have had some questions about why anyone who has not attended a Judging Seminar this year must attend.  The "official" answer is because of the rules changes.  Again, if you haven't attended one this year and you plan on flying, you need to make sure you are at AMA HQ at 1 PM on Tuesday.

Thank you,
Scott
Old 07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if a guy hasn't been to a judging seminar he can't fly in the Nats?

How does this meet up with the AMA Rule?

3.7: AMA-Sponsored National or International Contest.
This is an exclusive sanction class for those events that are specifically approved by the AMA Executive Council and budgeted for operation from AMA funds—such as the annual AMA National Model Aeromodeling Championships, (in which entry is unrestricted to AMA members),

That paragraph would seem to over rule anyone wouldn't it?

Reading farther down the page I came across this.

17. Disqualification: Exclusion. Contestants may be disqualified or excluded from any or all events if guilty of an infraction of contest rules, unsportsmanlike or discourteous conduct, infraction

Seems the CD might be able to refuse a flier that hasn't been to a judging seminar.

Tim
Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

Tim,

You forget that a CD has the option to modify the rules and make certain requirements such as having to be certified in order to judge at the Nationals... and if a person does forgo this duty of being certified then obviously they can't judge but they will have to perform a 1/2 day of other duty to fulfill their volunteer requirement - failing to this will result in the loss of their highest scoring round. Since there is no longer the ability to volunteer in any other capacity, judging is now the only volunteer option.

This has been the case for a number of years - never a complaint (out loud that is)...
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Derek.Koopowitz

Tim,

You forget that a CD has the option to modify the rules and make certain requirements such as having to be certified in order to judge at the Nationals... and if a person does forgo this duty of being certified then obviously they can't judge but they will have to perform a 1/2 day of other duty to fulfill their volunteer requirement - failing to this will result in the loss of their highest scoring round. Since there is no longer the ability to volunteer in any other capacity, judging is now the only volunteer option.

This has been the case for a number of years - never a complaint (out loud that is)...
I've never heard anyone complain about prelims judging assignments either. But have had a few refuse to judge Masters Finals. In every case, the parties wanted to witness F3A Finals or were on the way home
Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
smcharg

I have found out a way around not being certified as a judge per the rules/agreement/whatever you want to call it. If you choose not to judge, you have the option to pay a $50 fee to have another pilot judge in your place. This fee will be paid by the contestant who chooses not to judge but that contestant will then be allowed to fly. I learned this today from Jim Quinn.

Basically, you can attend the judges class and be certified and can judge or you can choose not to get certified and pay a $50 fee for another pilot to judge in your place. There...all soved right??

Scott
Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 AM
Mastertech

Derek,

I remember back when this came about and I assure you there were plenty of complaints. Some extremely loud as I recall.

If this and the judging seminar requirement is to be an on going deal at the Nats then it needs to be in the rule book. "Non-rule" rules not spelled out only cause controversy. The "Loss of highest round" rule has been around what? 20 Years now?

I'd hate to be the one that had to tell the guy that just drove three days and showed up at 4pm on Tuesday after the judges seminar he can't fly. Maybe moving the judging seminar to after closing of registration would preclude this from happening?

I don't have a problem with these "rules" I think they're fine, I just wish after using them for so long they'd be spelled out in the rule book. They can only be a Provisional rule for so long.

I also don't believe the CD should have the power to make a "non-rule" that is more punitive than the rule book allows.

Tim
Old 07-26-2011, 05:31 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: CLRD2LAND

I have found out a way around not being certified as a judge per the rules/agreement/whatever you want to call it. If you choose not to judge, you have the option to pay a $50 fee to have another pilot judge in your place. This fee will be paid by the contestant who chooses not to judge but that contestant will then be allowed to fly. I learned this today from Jim Quinn.

Basically, you can attend the judges class and be certified and can judge or you can choose not to get certified and pay a $50 fee for another pilot to judge in your place. There...all soved right??

Scott
Just another case of the rich holding down the poor. . .
Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 AM
smcharg

ORIGINAL: klhoard

Scott
UGH!!!! We need to talk when I get there Saturday! Maybe I could slap you around a little bit?? Just a thought!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 AM
Mastertech

Can I sell tickets first?

Tim
Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 AM
klhoard

"Come an see the violence inherent in the system!!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd_z...e_gdata_player

Scott
U G H !!!! We need to talk when I get there Saturday! Maybe I could slap you around a little bit?? Just a thought!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:40 AM
smcharg

"Come an see the violence inherent in the system!!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd_z...e_gdata_player
My dear old lady, this would be simple pleasure and nothing more. You can keep your society as you see fit.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 AM
klhoard

LOL
Actually, I think it's a great program.
Looking forward to meeting you, Scott.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 AM
klhoard

What are you going to do if everyone pays $50?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:13 AM
smcharg

Make a lot of money and have to do a bunch of judging!!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Hokie Flyer

I bet someone will be there holding a "Will Judge for Ribs" sign!

Rob
Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So let me get this straight. Theperson wanting out of judgingpays the guy judging directly? Then he informs the CD that he did it and the CD arranges for a substitude. Or does one inform the CD first and he arranges it? I never knew that rule existed. Has anyone actually done it in the past?
Sounds like a good gig if your broke and need to make a few bucks to suppliment your trip.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 AM
klhoard

Scott,

Have the NSRCA officers consulted with tax attorneys or accountants to consider the IRS consequences of monetary compensation for professional judging? Will the NSRCA or AMA be issuing the IRS Form 1099-R's?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:15 AM
smcharg

It has been taken under advisement! Keith, the amount of money is under $600 therefore the 1099-R does not have to be filed.

OK so this is not the official word but.... First, let's understand that the NSRCA is the S.I.G. to the AMA for pattern. The Nationals are run by the AMA and only supported through the NSRCA. Any official anything would come from the AMA, not the NSRCA. So my understanding is that if a person chooses not to take the class or has not taken the class at some point this year, the pilot can elect to pay a $50 fee TO either the Chief Judge or the CD (I'm not sure which one) and then the AMA sponsored event personel will find another judge for you should one be able to be found (which Idon't think would be that much of an issue). Once a pilot elects to judge in that competitors place and after completing said judging stint, that pilot will receive from the AMA event personel the $50 fee that was paid by the pilot who chose not to judge. Again...this is not official but what Iwas told last night by Jim Quinn after I was telling him the fun I was having with the fact people had to go to the judging school.

By the way, I'll be the guy in the back at the judging school hurling spitwads at y'alls heads and getting my certificate too!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
klhoard

Scott, would you like cash or a check?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:43 AM
smcharg

I'd like another De Ja VU.  Let's see how far that gets me.  RTF, fyi tyvm!!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Mastertech

By the way, I'll be the guy in the back at the judging school hurling spitwads at y'alls heads and getting my certificate too!
I got mine already..................[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 07-28-2011, 05:40 PM
crash1ace

Just wondered why one Has to do the juding seminar at all to compete? whats the reason? and why no sportsman at the Nats?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Mastertech

Because the CD said so.

Rules says the nationals are not to be restricted however.

If this came a "Press to test" moment I doubt the EC would back the requirement.

There never has been Sportsman at the Nats as it's a beginners class.

Tim