Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: F3A World Scores

Now do the finals start with all ten fliers at zero or are some of there semi final scores included?
    I want my Six Dollars!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finals are 4 fresh rounds, two F and two Unknown. They keep 1 F and 1 Unknown.

Arch
    Team Futaba, Aero-Model / Hacker, Tech Aero Designs, F3A Unlimited, Team BJ Craft, Thunder Power RC, Castle Creations

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Missed Stefan Kaiser from Liechtenstein at #8 (added below)

I know he's not there but if Roland were flying and presumably in the top 10 or so, Liechtenstein (pop approx 36,000) would be right in it for the team trophy....

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Semi-Finals Results:
    These scores are taking their normalized Prelim score added to the best of their Semi-finals score (dropping 1 semi round)

CPLR - 2000
    Hyde - 1971
    Onda - 1964
    Mayr - 1952
    Jesky - 1896
    Beschorner - 1873
    Suzuki - 1873
    KAISER 1870
    BPLR - 1868
    Matt - 1859

Those are the 10 pilots who will fly in the finals.

Warmup Pilots are:
    Mazzucchelli - 1832
    Wickizer - 1826

Team Competition as of now:
    USA - 17
    JPN - 24
    FRA - 30
    Team JR
    jramericas.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wagen017

great overview Matt, thanks!

Anybody knows if all electric fliers are still on 10S or also some on 8S?

Volkert
    You are welcome Volkert. On your question, I don't know. There were several staff guys checking everybody's connections and batteries before the tournoi began so the information exists, of that I am certain

But, I don't think current set-ups (size/weight) can generate enough power on 8S to fly the schedules, and still maintain reasonable current draw. A smaller, lighter plane could use 8S but it would likely be at a disadvantage from the start. To me, 12S at lower amp capacity makes better sense but it might come at a weight disadvantage. Of course, 12S is illegal in F3A right now. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if FAI increased voltage limits for F3A at some point in the future. The precedent exists already, but boy what a can of worms that would open!!
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the big concern is 12s actually can deliver enough current in an open-air situation to stop someone's heart. It's a safety issue, and I'm not sure how F3C got it through CIAM but they did.
    Doug Cronkhite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What type of power is flying CPLR? YS I assume, right?
    Exocet Engineering & Design; Maranello (ITA).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe he does indeed fly YS.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are 3 YS and 1 OS motors powering the finalists.

Chuck
    Mark Hunt Designs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At french nats Christophe had 175CDI
    Http://cabb41.net
    Http://www.f3a.fr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

amazing no petrol engines yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know the finals start with a clean slate, but I'm confused about the scores that are posted for the end of the semis. 1. Onda won two rounds in the prelims and yet he does not have a 1000 point round on the semis sheet. 2. Chip does not have a score in the prelims that matches his prelim score on the semis. I did not check everyone else, but those two differences would move Onda to 2nd place.

Is my calculator broken?
    Larry in Denver

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TimBle,
    Its a weight thing, I think there power delivery would be great though.
    You would also need to make them sound smooth and nice, not saying it can't be done but a standard DL style rat ta tat muffler wouldn't do at all and the nice cannisters add to the weight problem in a 2 metre.
    I am actually about to try a new 36cc rear exhaust Chinese motor in an old airframe for interest sake and see what its like but I suspect the whole thing will be a tad porky.
    Cheers
    Greg Hede
    Australia

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TimBle

amazing no petrol engines yet.
    There are no easily obtainable gas engines that are light enough for the required power or that have the necessary power shape, or that are quiet enough to match the other powerplants right now. We need all of these...........

I've been working on a DLE55 2 stroke on pipe and I have the overall weight very close to that of a good electric set-up, including soft mount and stand offs. The power curve needs to be ascertained; don't have data yet on how a 20x14 runs in the air. Overall power is no problem, pushing 6HP (4500 watts). Some aftermuffler design will need to be developed to get noise down to 86-88 dB where the other plants are functioning.

On the other hand, OS tried it with their 55 cc and to me, it worked okay for sport. But apparently no pattern competitor has used it in Pattern.... There was a large Pattern model that housed the engine (Japan) but have not heard much about that experiment.

Been trying to convince Todd Syssa to build a 55 cc similar to his 30cc, but not successful so far. If I can get a DLE55 to lose about 4 1/2 ounces (down to 43 ozs) with minimal effort, an engine purposely designed from the start should come in at less than 40 ozs. Power curve shape is the key....we need mid range grunt and flawless carb response. Noise still needs to be dealt with.
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tree Top Flyer

I know the finals start with a clean slate, but I'm confused about the scores that are posted for the end of the semis. 1. Onda won two rounds in the prelims and yet he does not have a 1000 point round on the semis sheet. 2. Chip does not have a score in the prelims that matches his prelim score on the semis. I did not check everyone else, but those two differences would move Onda to 2nd place.

Is my calculator broken?
    The prelims score was normalized as well, which you need to use CPLR’s score as denominator to calculate everyone else’s scores. In this case, this will give ONDA’s prelim score at 989.79, and Chip at 983.16.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    Apoligise for getting off topic on the gas engine thing.
    How are all you Yanks coping at the moment, IF that was an Aussie in 2nd place right now knowing he is King of the unknowns I would be chewing my finger nails off.
    Come to think of it I am anyway, I really hope he snatches it from CPLR.
    Cheers
    Greg Hede
    Australia

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reports from the front lines indicate Christophe is flying very well, and may be tough to beat, but if someone can do it this time, I think it would be Chip. Sounds like he's really in the groove right now and is ready to stand on that podium again after being left out of the last Championship. Geaux team USA!
    mjfrederick AMA 275874 NSRCA 4134
    Hebert Competition Designs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: elan120

ORIGINAL: Tree Top Flyer

Is my calculator broken?
    The prelims score was normalized as well, which you need to use CPLR’s score as denominator to calculate everyone else’s scores. In this case, this will give ONDA’s prelim score at 989.79, and Chip at 983.16.
    Interesting, didn't understand the process. Thanks for the explanation.

I hope someone at the site will post updates as the rounds progress today.
    Larry in Denver

Maybe I'm mis-remembering... but do I recall reading that the scores aren't released until day's end?
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some observations from personally witnessing round 4 of the prelims and the entire semi finals:
    1 The level of flying keeps increasing throughout the pack. Very impressive to witness the time, money (lots of it!), and effort the competitors give to the sport.
    2 Nice to see YS making somewhat of a comeback as I think percentage wise there are more YS at this worlds than in 2009 Portugal or maybe even 2007 Argentina for that matter. Just my guesstimate.
    3 I am sure that the professionally paid FAI judges do a good job and hi/low scores dropped/TBL helps a lot but I would like to see more of a rotation of the entire judging team between worlds. I.e. if you judged one sit out the next one then you can judge again. It brings a fresh set of eyes and since we are only human removes any unconscious bias. Even if we try not to be biased we still are as we are only human. Something for our AMA reps to consider/propose at the next FAI CIAM meeting?
    Good luck to all finalists!
    Freddy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My biggest complaint is FAI still uses arbitrary K factors for maneuvers instead of assembling figures from the FAI catalog, and they still only allow for 1 point precision in the scoring.
    Doug Cronkhite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Freddy, the host team selects the judges from a list member teams submit. That being said, it is largely political; and quite the subject of discussion! I know we all want the same thing; to know who is best. It is the pursuit, rather than the achievement which is important, but to do that we need a goal. At this level of competition, IMHO, the only true qualiqualified judges are actually flying. Everybody else does their best. It is no different than at a local contest... Could we do better? Possibly. But we do the best we can in choosing judges. All of these pilots are superb, its a miracle they can choose a champion at all! The judges may be paid but rest assured they are not getting rich, they do it because they love it. Forgive the phone keyed..

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was up there sunday for the morning and got to watch all the US guys fly. Chip flew noticeably faster than a lot of the others. His rolling circle and loop were amazing to watch. All the fliers I saw in the morning were pretty darn good. I don't envy the judges. I did note that some of the europeans didn't seem to really snap their planes, they looked more like extremely fast rolls.
    Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

From watching local pattern contests I conclude that a pattern snap is making it into the manoevre by the hairs breadth. Its a fast roll with the tail hanging it out just a bit. Not very nice to see. Pity its flown that way at the wolds as well. Why have an Aresti catalogue if how a manoevre is flown is open to interpretation?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

<deleted double post>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did anybody made at least ONE video?????
    Please!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Exocet Engineering & Design; Maranello (ITA).

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast