Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

YS175 comaparable to EP slow flight?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

YS175 comaparable to EP slow flight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 PM
pmr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS175 comaparable to EP slow flight?

I heard that guys use YS175 are using props 20.5x10 or 21x11. I was told that these combo can make pattern planes fly like or comparable to EP planes with the same prop. For those who were there and have seen it please share your experiences. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YS175 comaparable to EP slow flight?

Having watched some of the guys in the finals at the worlds, I would agree. They had a very constant speed with more than enough pull.

Arch
Old 08-11-2011, 04:41 AM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

What about the contra-rotating props. I think they are even better in regard constant speed.

Vicente "Vince" Bortone
Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Mvelez

after being there for the whole Worlds and FInals, i would believe it is not a matter of having a slow GP motor prop combo or an electric motor prop configuration to fly slow and with constant speed.

IMO it is all about the power management in your throttle stick... saw some very ballistic electrics, also very slow GPs.

the throttle managment, for instance of CPLR and Tetsuo is absolutely breath taking, you seem to forget watching the flight's precision or geometry just by paying attention at their power imputs...

mvelez

Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

I'm still looking for the slow and constant speed flight requirement.

Tim
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Tim,

There is no requirement, but currently that seems to be the style that is preferred and unfortunately those things matter in pattern, regardless of whether they should or not.

Arch
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Mastertech

Oh I agree Arch, they do matter. They shouldn't, but they do.

To be honest I like the slower fluid style that seems to be in vogue this decade. I was really watching Mayr fly, I still don't see how he has the energy to do the snaps as violently as he does with his flight speed. Simply amazing to watch.

Watching CPLR fly, he was no where near as slow as Mayr, in fact he was on the bigger and faster side of the average.

I believe that is normal for him?

There is still something to be said for the smoke trail out of the YS as well.

Tim

Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: Mvelez

after being there for the whole Worlds and FInals, i would believe it is not a matter of having a slow GP motor prop combo or an electric motor prop configuration to fly slow and with constant speed.

IMO it is all about the power management in your throttle stick... saw some very ballistic electrics, also very slow GPs.

the throttle managment, for instance of CPLR and Tetsuo is absolutely breath taking, you seem to forget watching the flight's precision or geometry just by paying attention at their power imputs...

mvelez
Absolutely. It's all about knowing the exact moment to increase and decrease power, and by how much. The model I compete with doesn't naturally lend itself to slow constant speeds, and I struggled to slow the pace of my routine. Rusty Dose took it on a flight to help diagnose a trim problem, and I stood in amazement as the model gracefully floated through portions of the FAI sequence.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

At the judges training it was announced that in the future, smoothness and gracefulness will constitute 25% of the overall score. One objective measure of smoothness and gracefullness is constant speed.

Someone once asked me at a U.S. NATS judges training session, how do I fly a particular maneuver? I responded, "I fly the maneuver however the judges want it flown".

Having flown the YS 175 (thanks Jarvis and Richard) during both the judges training and warmup flights for the worlds, as well as the NATS- the engine performs extremely well. The engine is smooth and accelerates similar to the old YS 120AC's (like the old U-control motors) which increases in power on uplines and runs richer and slower in level. which greatly assists in constant speed and smooth radius segments. Now, realize I was flying a much smaller prop (81.1x12) due to the lack of ground clearance on my stock Black Magic setup. In any event, is clearly the best YS engine to date.

Regards,
Don
Old 08-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

18.1X12 APC, that is, which was definitely too small of a prop for this motor!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Mastertech

Don,

Any idea how the point deductions are to be made by the judges? What are we to look for?

Tim
Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

On the constant speed, just wonder how it can be achieved perfectly.

Seems to me the difficult part is when during/after the vertical lines. For example, during a up-line, it is the idea that the throttle should be advance gradually as the plane climbs, until it is over the top. On the down-line, decrease the throttle until the last moment to increase the throttle so the plane has speed to maintain level after the heading change?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:23 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

On the constant speed, just wonder how it can be achieved perfectly.

Seems to me the difficult part is when during/after the vertical lines. For example, during a up-line, it is the idea that the throttle should be advance gradually as the plane climbs, until it is over the top. On the down-line, decrease the throttle until the last moment to increase the throttle so the plane has speed to maintain level after the heading change?
By "perfectly" I will assume that you mean easier to control to a slower level than today. I had the opportunity to witness some of the ETOC at Toledo. Folks can take a lesson from the ETOC competitive planes.

In Pattern, one way is to reduce wing loading even further and use half throttle or less. That will require further reduction in weight and an increase in area. Couple that with even more but easier to control power and there's a formula. All this is achievable but won't be inexpensive and may require re-inventing new-old techniques for building airframes such as stick and tissue.

Of course Pattern has gone the other way right now with smaller wings and planes still weigh the same as before. So the amount of loading reduction doesn't need to be extreme to be effective. A full sized 2 meter with 1000 sq inches or more that weighs 8 1/2 lbs is doable but requires exquisite craftsmanship

Old 08-12-2011, 12:40 AM
TimBle

Or just put more wings on it like CPLR's Axiome...
Or fly a bi-plane
Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 AM
anders12

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How much wind and turbulence did the pilots at ETOC encounter? F3A is flown outdoors. That means that the airplanes and flyingstyle must be usable at al sorts of windconditions. Comparing indoor and outdoor flying is pointless!

Anders Johansson
Old 08-15-2011, 06:23 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: anders12

How much wind and turbulence did the pilots at ETOC encounter? F3A is flown outdoors. That means that the airplanes and flyingstyle must be usable at al sorts of windconditions. Comparing indoor and outdoor flying is pointless!

Anders Johansson
Wrong on that one. There's an awful lot you can learn from a foamy
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Just wonder how the top F3A pilots manages the throttle. It seems that to use a low pitch prop (like x10) with a minimal movement of the throttle stick is a start point.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:16 PM
cdodom

ORIGINAL: Don Szczur

18.1X12 APC, that is, which was definitely too small of a prop for this motor!

Don,

You might want to look at the valiant gear for the black magic. I used a gear similar (impact gear ) and had plenty of clearance for the 20 x 10.5pn on my 170dz.

Chris