Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

St Clairsville Contest

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:10 AM
djohnstone
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: St Clairsville Contest

Verne,

Call me at 859 391-1412 if you get a chance. I'm staying at the Red Roof also. I'll have my wife with me but she will be on her best behavior. I think Ray Morton will be around also, since he will probably fly until dark. I'm going to get him an instrument rating after last night. I flew until dark and he flew after dark!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 AM
billberry189

ORIGINAL: RC11

Billberry,
I believe your instructors name would be Alan Grimes.The LHS would be Fultons Hobby Shop. All still exist, people and all.

Rick, as I remember the owner of Fulton's Hobby Shop's first name was Jim? And there was another young guy that flew pylon racers. I think his name was Bobby. He never flew higher than ten feet of the ground and at 120 mph. Jim was good for dragging his fin and rudder across the runway while making inverted passes at 0 feet. He also limboed a little 049 plane he had by doing continuous loops through the limbo line. Upon Jim's suggestion I started out with a Fledgling powered by an HP 40, graduated to a Gazariator(60 size Fledgling), and then onto the pattern planes. Thanks again for the reply. It's nice to reminisce every once and awhile.

PS- When it came to flying I had no problem taking off andboring holes in the sky. Like everyone it was landing that gave me problems. It was a piece of advice that my instructor shared with me that made it quick and simple to learn how to land. He told me simply, "push the stick toward the low wing." After that I was soloing.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:23 AM
prebres
My Feedback: (7)

Can I come Sunday only?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Strat2003

Prebres, yes, you may come for Sunday only, but be aware that we're planning on doing four rounds on Saturday and just two on Sunday so the guys who travelled can get on the road by mid afternoon.
If you're new to pattern flying please let us know and we'll see to it that you get some guidance.

Scott
Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM
prebres

Strat2003,

Yes i am new to pattern flying. So I'll be entering Sportsman class.
I'll email my info.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Strat2003

We'll look forward to seeing you. We'll probably have the pilot's meeting about 10:00...can't fly til around 11:00 on a clear day because the sun is still in the box. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't be afraid to ask for help. We want you to have a great time so you'll come back!
There will be at least one other Sportsman flying in his first contest so you won't be alone.

Scott
Old 08-26-2011, 05:18 PM
prebres

Sounds great. We just had your club up for the Old Timers contest. I fly with the ARCS.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:40 AM
radray

ORIGINAL: petec

Dave, P-13 both days for FAI. I just got done modifying the P-11 in PACSS to be P-13....descriptions and K-factors.

See you Saturday morning.
Pete, where did you find the k-factors for the P/F-13 maneuvers, I am trying to update my spreadsheet.

Thanks,

Ray
Old 08-27-2011, 07:23 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: billberry189

ORIGINAL: RC11

Billberry,
I believe your instructors name would be Alan Grimes.The LHS would be Fultons Hobby Shop. All still exist, people and all.

Rick, as I remember the owner of Fulton's Hobby Shop's first name was Jim? And there was another young guy that flew pylon racers. I think his name was Bobby. He never flew higher than ten feet of the ground and at 120 mph. Jim was good for dragging his fin and rudder across the runway while making inverted passes at 0 feet. He also limboed a little 049 plane he had by doing continuous loops through the limbo line. Upon Jim's suggestion I started out with a Fledgling powered by an HP 40, graduated to a Gazariator(60 size Fledgling), and then on to the pattern planes. Thanks again for the reply. It's nice to reminisce every once and awhile.

PS- When it came to flying I had no problem taking off and boring holes in the sky. Like everyone it was landing that gave me problems. It was a piece of advice that my instructor shared with me that made it quick and simple to learn how to land. He told me simply, ''push the stick toward the low wing.'' After that I was soloing.
Bill,

Jim still owns the shop and it is still located there. Great guy.

Arch
Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Hope everyone is having a good time, as i write this i am having hot dogs. Can someone mail me some of the chicken. another 15 minutes then off to work.
Good news making some money. bad news everything else
Old 08-27-2011, 05:25 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the scoresheet. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 PM
billberry189

Arch,

Does Jim have a web sight that I can contact him on? I would just like to say hello after all these years. Thanks again.

Bill
Old 08-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Strat2003

Bill, try [email protected]

Scott
Old 08-28-2011, 04:26 PM
viva_peru

Hello guys,

I am sorry that I could not make the contest. I know that it would have been fun like it was last year. So did every one do and how many pilots participated? Any chances that maybe Scott took some photos?

Teo
Old 08-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Strat2003

Teo, we'll post some pics sometime today. We had a great weekend with 27 pilots...just about the right number for a contest, I think.
Sportsman and Intermediate were the biggest classes. We had one new flyer in Sportsman and one Intermediate pilot flying his first contest in that class.
More soon.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:12 AM
viva_peru

Scott,

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that the contest was so well attended; I think last year the number of pilots was in the high teens or low twenty's.

Teo
Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Glad everything went well guys. We made it through the storm with just losing power for about 18 hours and some down branches and leaves. Several people near us had trees down and such, but fortunately we made it through OK.

Maybe next year,

Arch
Old 08-29-2011, 06:20 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Maybe next year,

Arch
That's my line...come up with your own
Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Was pretty cool to see that masters was not the largest class, as was usually the case in D1 (my experience).

Learned something new: no matter how bad your back hurts, do not take a muscle relaxer before flying pattern! Think my caller told me 3 times to do immelmann with rolls before I realized what he was talking about. Was improving slowly but surely until that (last) flight.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Strat2003

It was good to see you at the contest, Joe. D4 has been having good turnouts in Intermediate this year (ten at Toledo!) and it's been fun. One or two will probably be moving up next season, but at least one guy is coming up from Sportsman so we're expecting continuted good numbers.

I can usually manage to fly the wrong maneuver without the benefit of muscle relaxers, lol.

Did you enjoy judging P-13?

Scott
Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Strat2003

It was good to see you at the contest, Joe. D4 has been having good turnouts in Intermediate this year (ten at Toledo!) and it's been fun. One or two will probably be moving up next season, but at least one guy is coming up from Sportsman so we're expecting continuted good numbers.

I can usually manage to fly the wrong maneuver without the benefit of muscle relaxers, lol.

Scott
Old 08-29-2011, 05:44 PM
corch

Just saw the scores up on the NSRCA website.  Congrats to the winners and I wish I coulda been there!  Looking forward to some photos...
Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Strat2003ers.

Scott
It was great to see you and everyone else - only my second event in D4 and I feel at home here. Really a great group we have, I feel very fortunate to be a part of it.

Judging FAI was cool. I was a bit nervous at first - different without using 1/2 points - but great to sit and watch 3 complete flights from very talented pilots. I thought the best part was the difference in presentation - each pilot definitely had his own style. Not saying I'll ever get to that level, but watching them gave me something to strive for.

Actually, want to learn that long reversed rolling maneuver - seriously need work on my rolls.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:08 AM
mlovitt

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Was pretty cool to see that masters was not the largest class, as was usually the case in D1 (my experience).

Learned something new: no matter how bad your back hurts, do not take a muscle relaxer before flying pattern! Think my caller told me 3 times to do immelmann with rolls before I realized what he was talking about. Was improving slowly but surely until that (last) flight.
I was making sure you heard me Joe!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 AM
wildwillie3

Thanks Rick and Cathie for having the contest and all of the great food. Thanks to all of the helpers that helped make it happen as well.

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.