Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

e-Power Throttle Curve Tweaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-Power Throttle Curve Tweaking

Forgive such a basic query....but I'm really new to e-pattern setups, and I've already found that there is a HUGE difference in the feel of the throttle/power management in electric pattern setups.

Would appreciate any tips or pointers (already am aware of the "tweak curve to suit"suggestions)....is there a general sort of curve that translates from YS 4 stroke power to e motors, or is the fact that one just has to learn and adapt?

Any suggestions or help??
Old 08-15-2011, 04:33 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: e-Power Throttle Curve Tweaking

I have the YS170 and the Hacker C50-14Xl, I have tried to match the Hacker to the YS but have not been able to be very close, so I had to adapt, and it is not easy.

Sorry I'm not helping much.

Alejandro P.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

I'm by no means an expert, but when I transitioned to electric I found that the motor didn't come up soon enough. I tweaked my throttle curve to get quicker response at the bottom end and it felt more like what I was used to with my OS 160 setup.
Scott
Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Bob Pastorello

Thanks. That's what I'm finding, but now seem to have bad non-linearity from 3/4 stick to the top. If I recall, we used to tweak IC curves to move the power band more toward mid-stick, but honestly can't remember.
I know a straight linear setup means the stick is way further up nearly always, which isn't computing to the "finger memory" of roughly-mid-stick for almost everything...

Maybe the solution is just to program multiple flight modes with different curves and switch those for a better trial and error approach.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The electric behaves like a 2 stroke for shure, almost the same, it is very difficult to match the curve of a YS, wich in the 170 is almost linear and you can fell every click of power, that is not possible in the electric set ups, unless a Q80 22 poles. Multiple conditions will complicate things more, I will suggest just to get used to it and refine the curve the best possible way to fit your liking.

Regards

Alejandro
Old 08-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

My biggest problem changing to Electric was not getting a "report" back from the engine when I moved the throttle. I had no idea how big a deal that little tid bit was.

Tim
Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 AM
MachLoop
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Forgive such a basic query....but I'm really new to e-pattern setups, and I've already found that there is a HUGE difference in the feel of the throttle/power management in electric pattern setups.

Would appreciate any tips or pointers (already am aware of the "tweak curve to suit"suggestions)....is there a general sort of curve that translates from YS 4 stroke power to e motors, or is the fact that one just has to learn and adapt?

Any suggestions or help??
Suggest you get throttle curve examples from those flying the same motor and see how you like it. Easier to build off others results than to start from scratch.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

My biggest problem changing to Electric was not getting a "report" back from the engine when I moved the throttle. I had no idea how big a deal that little tid bit was.

Tim
Never even occurred to me until I read your post, Tim. That lack of audio-feedback probably does add to the vagueness of the power setting. Maybe I should install one of those motorboat sound generators... :-)
Old 08-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

I think there's a market for a YS sound and smoke generator system.

Tim
Old 08-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Rendegade

I understand there is one you can buy that doesn't require any extra electricity, it runs on fuel believe it or not!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:57 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

I understand there is one you can buy that doesn't require any extra electricity, it runs on fuel believe it or not!
My YS sound/smoke system needs about 2 watts of electricity to run + fuel, and a quick 1kw kick in the guts to turn it on :-)
Old 08-18-2011, 03:47 AM
cmoulder

Okay, I am just starting to work on this with a new set-up.

We don't want to reinvent the wheel, and surely there is a methodical and logical approach we have been unable to ferret out with google.

After ESC programming, my first step was to set the end points. Next, I flew the model with an unmodified throttle curve (actually it was a straight line at that point) and noted ther throttle stick position when the model was flying at a comfortable straight-and-level "cruise speed" in relatively calm winds. Back on the ground, I tached the prop to see what rpm's it was turning when the throttle stick was in the "cruise" position and tweaked the curve to achieve that rpm with the throttle stick centered (curve point 5 on my 9-point curve).

After that, I tweaked points 4 and 6 so that there was a little "ramp" in the curve so that it won't be so difficult to find that nice cruise speed - the stick need only be close to center.

So there's a start to the discussion and the process, at least the way I'm going about it. It might be totally moronic or misguided, but perhaps some experts will chime in here with some of their advice.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:38 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the voltage of the lipo packs drop over the duration of the flight, the feel on the throttle will change. You need to bump up a little bit to gain that "constant speed" at the end of the flight.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:29 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Bob, you need to fly the plane a little more and figure if you want power more toward the bottom of the stick or somewhere above half, then adjust your throttle curve to match. I am running a 20.5x14.5 prop at times, and I like the power to be more at the bottom of the stick so I adjusted my throttle curve to make this happen. I have the 14mz and can do this with EXP2 and get a very nice curve. The more you fly the plane, the more you will know where you prefer the power to be.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I had my glow plane out this past weekend, almost thinking twice about selling engine. Elrctrucdoes.have some disadvantages, but not enough (imo) to go back.

Was flying a 120 two stroke, propped down to 16*6 for better throttle response, flew just like the YS 110 on the same prop.

Maybe higher C rates give better throttle response?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: rgreen24

Hey Bob, you need to fly the plane a little more and figure if you want power more toward the bottom of the stick or somewhere above half, then adjust your throttle curve to match. I am running a 20.5x14.5 prop at times, and I like the power to be more at the bottom of the stick so I adjusted my throttle curve to make this happen. I have the 14mz and can do this with EXP2 and get a very nice curve. The more you fly the plane, the more you will know where you prefer the power to be.
I agree, Bob, and also with the other Bob (moulder) which makes three Bob's on this thread, so it could get crazy....I have my throttle curve on a three position switch, and setup each differently on the "first third", that's what seems to be my ugly place.

I didn't realize that I was doing it, but basically I did what cmoulder wrote to try, and if it cools enough for me to go try it soon, I will.

rbyrd - got your p.m. - please email me and let's reconnect.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:05 PM
kobago

Hi all
I think, the solution of that problem is easy.
I am using a governor system for F3A. The position of throttole stick is allocated to RPM.
I think, operation is easier than YS DZ170.
However, there is only Japanese in the instruction manual though it is that it is disappointed.

kobago
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35688.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	1653863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47116.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1653864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22662.jpg
Views:	13