Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Let's talk P-13

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:16 AM
Jon Wold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk P-13

I've finally had a chance to fly through P-13, and I have the following observations.

- It's a long schedule, and a power consuming one. It typically took me 7,5 minutes to complete, for reasons I can't figure out. The manouvers by themselves don't seem all that long. I even flew a battery flat (5000 mah) on my first try.
- The first point roll combo is fun, and the half/roll/half-roll combo is very cool to fly, and challenging to get it to look good. Love it.
- The top hat will be very strangely disproportionate. You have to have a straight line in the base for it to be a top hat and not an inverted humpty-bump, and in order to not fly too far out, it must be short-short. But the length of the upline must be really long to have enough height for the following spin. Or is that not a problem?
- The cuban eight, as pointed out to me by Ola Fremming, is extremely difficult, the problem being not the rolling, but to position the last 45 degree downline. Due to the second roll being downwind, it must have much faster rollrate in order to be completed in time for the downline to be centered. During my first attempt I proved him right, my second downline did not cross the first one - at all. How to remedy this? Cheat by rolling faster, or fly only during crosswind or calm...
- The figure 9 will break the high-level of your schedule. It should be started at mid-level, which is not possible since it comes after the square loop. We've already dubbed the '9 "Astronaut training manouver". You must fly a decent sized square loop, with proper radius in each corner, and a short straight on either side of the half-rolls, which means it will be big no matter how small you try to make it. The '9 should have been a split-s type manouver.

What are your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53363.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1661036  
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 AM
amram

Default RE: Let's talk P-13

Hello
First, kindly send my warm regards to Ola from me.
Second, to the best of my understanding maneuver #12 (Half loop) should enter you to mid-box. then starting from top mid-entry you conduct the #13
(Square loop) finishing at top mid-level and that will take you to the figure 9 entry also at mid-level-entry.

As to Packs, although I am still on CDI I already pointed that this schedule is long and wide (Similar to P07)
5000 packs or more are expected to be required....

Amram
Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 AM
wagen017

for reference, what did you normally use on a P11?

Volkert
Old 09-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Jon Wold

Typical P11: 3000-3500 mAh and no more than 06:30, usually 06:00.

If the square loops four corners should have the half the radius of the half loop preceding it plus a straight line before and after the half roll, it will be twice as big as the half loop. Then the plane is below ground level :-)

It's a choice between a gigantic 9 or a very tight square.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Jon Wold

Typical P11: 3000-3500 mAh and no more than 06:30, usually 06:00.

If the square loops four corners should have the half the radius of the half loop preceding it plus a straight line before and after the half roll, it will be twice as big as the half loop. Then the plane is below ground level :-)

It's a choice between a gigantic 9 or a very tight square.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Jon Wold

Ooops, double. Pls delete the last one, mods.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Mvelez

My first thoughts:

I think it is pretty normal to eat up more mAh on the first attempts, but as you get to know the secuence better and start focusing more on power management and speed control instead of remembering the next maneuver, your power consumption will go down. I'm also using more or less the same ion P 13 than what I used on P 11.

Now on the sequence these are my first impressions:

- This one is a question: does the roll on the clover HAS to start just after you finish the 3/4 loop and finish just before pushing to the second 3/4 of loop? or as long as the roll is centered there can be small lines after the 3/4 loop and after the roll before pushing up to the second 3/4 loop? can it be either of the two as long as the roll is centered?

- The inverted top hat in the corner is a bit tricky since you need to keep everything inside the box, control power very good so you do not come out very fast for the spin, realize the roll directions in real time depending on your flight direction and positioning intent with the top hat. seems like an easy one but not really.

- the eight, as I agree with Ola, is way more complicated to what it looks like when you try it with the stick plane. I agree the hardest point is finishing the integrated roll in a 45 downline, so far i still end up in a flat line.

- I also agree that the square loop needs not to be started on the very top line of the box. you just need to make it mid-size so the nine won't become astronaut-like. but there is in my opinion a sand trap here since it is hard to come out of the nine with the same radius you used upstairs, and yet have enough space to make a straight line and then the half roll / roll / half roll combo and still make it centered.

- regarding the Z well, that last pull makes you suffer a little...

now, regarding the F 13, the guys at fai must have had a very bad day when they proposed it. IMO is way harder than the F 11...

let's see how it comes out after more flights... so far most of the setup is changing on expos, throws, flight modes etc... this is what makes pattern so cool...

just my opinion...

regards

Mvelez
Old 09-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Jon Wold

I agree it must be because the schedule is new to me, I fly higher than normal in order to get extra space. Hope it will be so, because I was planning to use 4500 mah batteries next year :-)
I think the half clover should have a line before and after the roll. In fact you must, because 1/4 loop + line + roll + line + 1/4 loop must fill the space of two half loops, and that's a lot of space.

I also find the top hat difficult. One thing is the size, and another is remembering which way to roll so you come out on top.

Yes, the Z is also very hard on the sticks, the last pull needed more elevator throw than I have used for P11.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Magne

In the ribbon drawing in post #1, is not figure 11 drawn wrong?
(Drawn as a reverse cuban eight, pulling up 45° first.)

Magne
Old 09-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Jon Wold

Well spotted. It's not supposed to be reversed.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:30 AM
DagTheElder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, take it easy, the figure in post #1 says it is valid from 2013 , so no hurry!!!!!!!!?????

Regards
Old 09-13-2011, 02:39 AM
Jon Wold

It's not like we're gonna fly P-11 any more, so might as well get a head start.

I bet you've been busy practicing that new nordic-schedule, am I right?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:55 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My comments after only 4 P13's.................

On the Top Hat, at the worlds finals they had the inverted top hat, all pilots just flew a segment on the bottom just to say "I did fly a straight segment" before going uo again, so if did not fly(any of them) the horizontal line as long as the verticals we should not either, they will not do it on the next worlds, and we will not get better scores for doing as per the book, so we are doing it that way, another thing, the manouver gets complicated if flown to far, just keep it close to the end of the box but probably not at the very end.

If the Z gets complicated on the bottom is because it was started too low, we had no problems at all when started at the correct height.

Just my thougts and happy to be flying something new!!

Best regards

Alejandro P.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The inverted top hat is a turn around maneuver so the cross box portion of the maneuver does not need to be to the same length. If it were a center maneuver it would, but not since it is a turn around,

Arch
Old 09-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Jon Wold

Thanks for info on the top hat. Short out, long up - Gotcha :-)
Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 AM
DagTheElder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jon Wold

It's not like we're gonna fly P-11 any more, so might as well get a head start.

I bet you've been busy practicing that new nordic-schedule, am I right?
Well, not exsaktly, but a few hours on the coach is correct[&o] training for a few days in the sun on Cypros[sm=drowning.gif]

Regards
Old 09-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Meets Ron Van Putte criteria easy to judge hard to do. Maneuver 1 and the cuban.