Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Which Futaba TX for pattern flying?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Which Futaba TX for pattern flying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 AM
sabreflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Futaba TX for pattern flying?

I have been using the Futaba 9c super with a module. I feel It is a good TX generally but am now getting into pattern flying and at the same time wondering if I should upgrade to a dedicated 2.4g TX. I do not want to spend mega bucks unnecessarily and would put a limit at the 12 fg. Any pattern flyers out there using the 9c? Should I upgrade? 10c? 8fg?

Your opinions are much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts
Default RE: Which Futaba TX for pattern flying?

The 10C is an excellent radio and certainly affordable.  The only thing that is limited in the 10 is the ability to have "Conditions" but it really is not much of a hindrance unless you feel those are absolutely necessary.  I run the 10C and even have a split rudder on my ship.  It is truly a great, affordable radio.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sabreflyer,

The 8FG and the 12FG are probably the two best for the cost. Both are actually 14 channel radios now and have more flexibility than the 10C. The 10C is an excellent radio, but it uses the older way of programming whereas the 8FG and the 12 both allow you to assign functions and such. The 10C is also not software upgradeable like the 8 and 12 series radios. The 12FG uses flight conditions which is really nice, but you can trick the 8FG into essentially doing the same thing. Personally for the money I would get the 12FG as it has almost identical flexibility to the 14MZ for pattern, but significantly cheaper. The 8FG will also work, but it doesn't quite have all of the features of the 12. I would definitely stay with the 8 or the 12 though as there will most likely be updates coming in the next year or two that you will want.

Arch
Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 AM
desertrider49
My Feedback: (5)

I also was using the 9C with module. No matter what TX you go to be sure to get the one with 2048 resolution, I noticed a difference. Since you may be using Spektrum receivers, look at the Spektrum Dx8 TX, I am enjoying mine.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
woodie

All the above suggestions are valid tho I will say the TX choice will not make a difference in your flying skills if you are just now getting into pattern. The 9C is perfectly capable of being programmed for a pattern plane and give you a solid platform to learn. I do think the 2.4G upgrade is a good idea just because it is a more reliable rf link but it too will not make you a better flier. There is just no substitute for stick time and a good coach when it comes to learning and getting better in pattern.

If you are intent on getting a new Futaba, the 8FG or 12FG would be my recommendation over a 10C. For the Futaba line, the 8FG is a great radio for the money and except for 'conditions' it has nearly the same functions as the 12FG and higher radios.

Woodie
Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
wagen017

I used to have the 9C and going to the 10C is then really easy. It is in principle the same software with a few extra functions. Although I recommend to other to buy the 8FG since it gives you more functionality I love the 10 for its simplicity (coming from a 9C). When I try to help somebody with a 8/12FG I always get confused!

For my pattern flying (I am flying pattern now for 4 years, this year in FAI) the 10C is more then enough.

Volkert
Old 10-05-2011, 04:50 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sabreflyer,

It depends on your objectives, if you are planning on flying Patttern just for fun, then any radio will do, but if you intend to compete and have goals for the time to come, then go with the 12FG if that is your limit, once you get started if you get with the right people they will help you understand more of the aircraft set ups using the radio and take advantage of it, you will be able to fly better with a better radio, Futaba's software is amazing and flexible for that no other brand comes close(I also own a JR12X).

For people who only limit the radio to the basic setups a better radio is a waste of money, but if you get to multi point mixes and condition activation via stick position etc, then it is best to spend the money on a good radio you can grow your skill and knoledge with, it will be cheaper than going on the other direction just find in the future you need to buy a better radio then.

Hope my opinion helps you

Best regards

Alejandro P.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:24 PM
jayjayneri

Here's my 2 cents worth. If you are on a budget, go for the 8FG. But if budget permits and you are serious about reaching the top levels of pattern, I would go straight to the 12MZ instead of the 12FG. For a little more money than the 12FG, you will get a radio with the exact same programability as the 14MZ (for pattern use), a much more user friendly radio than the 12 FG and the ability to copy and tranfer airplane settings directly from a 14MZ to the 12 MZ. For example, I have bought 2 or 3 pattern planes wherein I was able to get a copy of the transmitter settings used by the designer of the airplane. Of course these settings were for a 14MZ radio. I was able to copy them exactly and directly to my 12MZ radio and have a great baseline setting from which to begin my trimming process. Made everything much simpler and easier and took away a lot of guesswork and experimentation. To me worth every penny. In fact, if it were my money, I would even buy the 12MZ over the 14MZ. I do have both radios and also have experience with the 9c and 10FG. The 12MZ is all the radio I will ever need for pattern. The 12FG is a perfectly capable radio but the 12MZ is the perfect radio for pattern at this point in time.

Jayjay
Old 10-05-2011, 10:49 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Sabreflyer,

The 8FG and the 12FG are probably the two best for the cost. Both are actually 14 channel radios now and have more flexibility than the 10C. The 10C is an excellent radio, but it uses the older way of programming whereas the 8FG and the 12 both allow you to assign functions and such. The 10C is also not software upgradeable like the 8 and 12 series radios. The 12FG uses flight conditions which is really nice, but you can trick the 8FG into essentially doing the same thing. Personally for the money I would get the 12FG as it has almost identical flexibility to the 14MZ for pattern, but significantly cheaper. The 8FG will also work, but it doesn't quite have all of the features of the 12. I would definitely stay with the 8 or the 12 though as there will most likely be updates coming in the next year or two that you will want.

Arch

+1

However Sabreflyer you say you are getting into pattern flying. Do you know how to set up your siracraft for pattern flying i.e. staright and level flight, winglevels, vertical uplines and downlines. Can yor plane hold a 45degree up or downline without deviating much? If not then don;t look to your Tx to sort out the plane. first understand the plane and then get a Tx to set it up for the more complicated schedules. First you need a plane that flies well.

Based on that I'd agree with rcpattern. The 8FG will be more than capable of getting you through to advanced, Masters and even F3A. It has 5 flight conditions that are set up throught the Dual Rates menu and then adjusting neutral points for each servo. This mimicks "conditions". Or you can set the plane up as a powered glider and have condition available.

I agree the 12Fg amd 12MZ are more capable but the the latter is being phased out and the 12FG will likely be upgraded to include its functions.
Both the 8FG and 12Fg will be around longer extending your investment.

If you can afford the 12MZ or 14MZ then by all means, get them, they are fantastic tools for pattern, unsurpassed I'd say. Just ask about 90 of the worlds F3A pattern pilots...
Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

I used to fly with a 10c and now I appreciate more from my 12Z, for its capability to group channels for the same functionality. For example, channel 1 and 2 for elevators, channel 3 and 4 for rudders. The grouped servos logically act the same for other inputs such as trims, response curves etc. It would be a lot more work to achieve the same with 10c. The synchronized movement of grouped servos provides precisions needed for pattern fly.

The other point is that you will use the radio a lot to practice the pattern. The radio has to be built tough and works all the time.

So my view on the radio for pattern is that it is an investment. Pick a good one and stick with it for a while.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:34 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Have to think about what features you really want or can't live without.

Best thing I learned for myself is to figure out what you want, then read all the manuals to see if the radio can do it. I learned this the hard way, had 2 radios in 1.5 years that didn't do what I wanted them to do. Third time around I read manuals and narrowed it down between 2 radios, and am now very happy.

I have a 10ch radio; no need for all the switches, but the programming is incredible (and fully assignable 3 position switches is really great). So something like the Futaba 8 would be plenty for me, since it has the programming of a 12+ channel radio.

The higher end radios have mp3 players - wish I had that! Can program in your sequence, toggle a switch and hear the next maneuver. Would be the best practice tool for me. Don't think I could fork out an extra $300-500 just for that though[&o]
Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 PM
DLQ5088

Sabreflyer, The 8fg is a great radio for the money, and will serve you well. If your are starting out you can get by fine with the 8 through most likely advanced without a problem. The one thing you dont need to hear is that you cant be competitive without top of the line equipment. It will take three to five years to outgrow the 8 and maybe not then. No need to look down the road you cannot even see at this point. Stay in your budget and have a great time, which you will, and let the future take care of itself. Looking at the extreme end of the costs of competition can simply discourage you. Look at what you need to do now, for your financial situation may be completely different when you get there.

DQ
Old 10-06-2011, 06:32 PM
insalacosm
My Feedback: (1)

sabreflyer - I moved to the 8fg this Spring and absolutely love the radio. I was initially disappointed with the design when it first came out because it appeared too simple, but now I find it modern and the traditional style looks bulky and out of date. I was looking to spend more money on a new radio because I thought I needed to, but I was always coming back to the 8fg as the best value and fit for my needs. I have small hands so the size is perfect for me, and it has all the features I need for pattern and 3D flying - plenty of channels, plenty of customizable mixes, safety features such as alarm and throttle cut, etc. I've been using Futaba for over 25 years so the new programming took some getting used to but it became intuitive quickly and now I don't look back.
Steve
Old 10-09-2011, 02:43 AM
sabreflyer

Many thanks for your responses. It has been very useful to read your opinions and experiences. I have decided to stick with the 9c super for now but with a 2.4 module. I will use this for next season and then use your responses to help me decide which way to go from there.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:24 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

The higher end radios have mp3 players - wish I had that! Can program in your sequence, toggle a switch and hear the next maneuver. Would be the best practice tool for me. Don't think I could fork out an extra $300-500 just for that though[&o]
Do you have an iPod?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: klhoard

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Do you have an iPod?

Yes, not really sure how to integrate it while flying, certainly not the same as having your sequence in your radio and accessible by a toggle switch.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:32 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

It probably is not a big deal to integrate an audio play-back feature into a radio. It just did not happen to most of the radios. For a decent camera, you have integrated gps and audio etc.

On the other hand, I have the sequence on a sheet, barely looked at though.

You may be able to trigger iPods/iPhones to play a clip via voice commands.