Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

OS 33GT Gasoline Engine for Pattern

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

OS 33GT Gasoline Engine for Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 AM
clivemc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 33GT Gasoline Engine for Pattern

MTK

thanks for the p[ostings, looking forward to your results. Mintor will cyustom make any header for you. contact your local dealer and they can get one im sure. But the adapter you have made looks good anyway
Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: airborne2.4

That sure is a nice looking engine.
I agree, it is the prettiest engine around, inside and out. It runs very well too. I wish they had designed it with more stroke but not to be yet....But talking with Claudio Magni, I think that's in the works.

I will run the same set-up as before except on tuned exhaust to compare performance.

I am building a soft mount for this engine which will be ready tomorrow. I'll post some photos soon
Old 11-23-2011, 09:55 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: clivemc

MTK

thanks for the p[ostings, looking forward to your results. Mintor will cyustom make any header for you. contact your local dealer and they can get one im sure. But the adapter you have made looks good anyway
I just got word from Claudio Magni one of the owners of 3M Mintor. The headers will not be available until the next shipment to the US, sometime next spring
Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: clivemc

MTK

I just got word from Claudio Magni one of the owners of 3M Mintor. The headers will not be available until the next shipment to the US, sometime next spring
Ran a piped set-up today. The 18x10 was turned around 600 rpm faster (8300 +/-). Engine was very happy turning that prop at that rpm.

Then jumped the load to a 20 1/2 x 12 MDK hybrid. RPM decreased about 1000, down to low 7's. But the engine lugged....... juuust a bit too much load. Maybe better when the engine is fully broken in.

I don't have a 20x10 ready yet but I think that size will work fine. I also think a 19x11 apc will work well. I'll have to get one from Ed and see some real numbers. The YS170 turns a 19x11 around 7400 on 20% nitro so that's a decent measure of power that I'm looking for
Old 11-24-2011, 12:54 AM
choihjin
My Feedback: (1)

Here is my interesting story on OS GT33.
I got Hyde mount for GT33, which ordered one week ago. I got it today in Korea. Mr. Hyde mailed it to me via express air mail with his expenses to satisfy my anxiety.
Thank you, Merle. OS GT 33 was mounted on the Hyde mount to test the difference. Everything is set as previousely I have done for breakin on the test bed except Hyde mount.
Oh, no, I could not start the engine, which runned very nicely. We bought actually two OS GT 33 one for my friend's Rock&Roll, one for my Smaragd.
I have already posted a GT33's starange thing happened on Rock&Roll. But Mine was fine. Suddenly many thoughts in my head from MATT K's engine failure.
Several back fires, but still I could not start engine. But strangly the prop position was a little bit way off from original starting point. Ah, then the prop was moving, not tightly joined?
I took out the prop and I see someting strange. The woodruff key was scattered off and just about one third was found in the hole.
Thing is clear now, why it could not be started. In the late afternoon in the field, I found a piece of washer, and managed to make to fit in the key hole.
The engine starts nicely, but with little less high speed around 7000 RPM, previousely 7500 RPM on break-in. Probably timing is a little off.
I need new woodruf key. Where can I find it?
Is it due to my fault mounting prop or backfire or too weak for big prop or high torque?
Take care
Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: choihjin

Here is my interesting story on OS GT33.
I got Hyde mount for GT33, which ordered one week ago. I got it today in Korea. Mr. Hyde mailed it to me via express air mail with his expenses to satisfy my anxiety.
Thank you, Merle. OS GT 33 was mounted on the Hyde mount to test the difference. Everything is set as previousely I have done for breakin on the test bed except Hyde mount.
Oh, no, I could not start the engine, which runned very nicely. We bought actually two OS GT 33 one for my friend's Rock&Roll, one for my Smaragd.
I have already posted a GT33's starange thing happened on Rock&Roll. But Mine was fine. Suddenly many thoughts in my head from MATT K's engine failure.
Several back fires, but still I could not start engine. But strangly the prop position was a little bit way off from original starting point. Ah, then the prop was moving, not tightly joined?
I took out the prop and I see someting strange. The woodruff key was scattered off and just about one third was found in the hole.
Thing is clear now, why it could not be started. In the late afternoon in the field, I found a piece of washer, and managed to make to fit in the key hole.
The engine starts nicely, but with little less high speed around 7000 RPM, previousely 7500 RPM on break-in. Probably timing is a little off.
I need new woodruf key. Where can I find it?
Is it due to my fault mounting prop or backfire or too weak for big prop or high torque?
Take care
A broken woodruff key is certainly no small matter but not a real big one either. That wasn't the problem with my engine...woodruff key is fine.

The more I think about it the more sense it makes to me. I think the ignition is too retarded. I hope to get the engine back from Tower in a week or two and hopefully that's what they found.

On the other hand, the Mintor is super simple to start and maintain. It's up and running in a couple flips. Not super powerful yet, still new afterall. But it should have enough power to work in an 11 pound airframe.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

All BME engines came with a CH degree wheel and timing instructions and you were supposed to check the timing before running. You'd think a new engine would be ready to go from the factory and keep running properly. Too much prop load would act like advanced timing.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

All BME engines came with a CH degree wheel and timing instructions and you were supposed to check the timing before running. You'd think a new engine would be ready to go from the factory and keep running properly. Too much prop load would act like advanced timing.
None of mine came with them but they were also purchased in recent years and were supplied with the RCExcel ignitions. They were all set spot on for timing as received. (I check every engine I get, no matter what the brand or history). You are right though. New engines should not need checking but for some reason many of the suppliers in this hobby seem to disagree with that concept.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:24 PM
PlaneKrazee

Many of the engines I've received in the past were way off. Ralph and Larry made it sound like checking timing was mandatory on all engines.

MTK's engine ran well at first but didn't run well or at all after a while with two different modules. Since the key didn't shear, the pickup would have to move to change the timing. If there was no spark or intermittent spark the magnet could have gone bad. It'll be interesting to see what Hobby Services has to say.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:15 PM
aussiesteve

Yep
I check every engine regardless of make and Ralph and Larry are very right indeed. Some brands are good, others not so but it is always a good idea to check it. (My previous post was meant to refer to my BME's not being supplied with the timing wheel)

I am sure many of us are watcing the outcome on this (Including me). As I really do believe these engines will be a real contender for the size range. Hopefully Matts is just "one of those bad luck things".
Old 11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
PlaneKrazee

Copied from FG "After you choke it and it pops, un choke, open the throttle up a bit more and it will stop trying to run backwards. Just give it a little bit more throttle. "

A video from the same guy. Seems he knows how to get it to run and he is a GREAT flyer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8YA0bwLaBw&feature=player_embedded#!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Yep
I check every engine regardless of make and Ralph and Larry are very right indeed. Some brands are good, others not so but it is always a good idea to check it. (My previous post was meant to refer to my BME's not being supplied with the timing wheel)

I am sure many of us are watcing the outcome on this (Including me). As I really do believe these engines will be a real contender for the size range. Hopefully Matts is just ''one of those bad luck things''.
The power is there especially on pipe. The two flights I had with mine were not average by any account. I flew them at half throttle mostly and had pretty much OOS vertical. Flying the whole schedule at half throttle or less is pretty neat. The plane is less than 11 pounds tho..... Timing was not checked unfortunately. It never really occurred to me that mighty OS would screw that up

In meantime, while I wait, the Mintor 38 installation in the Extra is just about done. I had to reposition the throttle and choke arms to fit my application and also took the opportunity when disassembled to remove the extra hold levers that particular model Walbro has on it. Also needed to separate the arms from each other. Decided to drive the choke with a servo rather than manually. Now let's hope for nice weather next weekend.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 PM
choihjin

Feeling some responsbility to clarify the woodruff key happening for many forum watchers, specially to Mr. Matt K.
Replacing a key borrowed from my friend revived my engine running 7300 RPM (18X10 Hawk wooden prop, gas/motul 800 (33:1) with Stock muffler) with slight rich condition on the same test bed. This OS GT33 engine is mounted on a Hyde mount (the first original Hyde mount for OS GT33, I think, and generous express shipping from Merle) with Hatori Muffler and Header in F3A Smaragd. Just final touch needed for maiden flight. In late evening just after setting the power plant and organizing lines, a test running suprized us, the my friend builder and me with easy starting and tremendous power. The same engine setting with Hatori canister muffler and header turned the same prop around 7700 RPM. At idle 1850 RPM, the engine has a little vibration on the Hyde mount, but normal RPM 2500-7700 just like a glow engine, no vibration. My power plant, OS GT33, Hyde mount and Hatori Canister and header looks a good commbination. Soft sound, no vibration like a glow engine, linear throttle response and tremendous power. In late evening did not try to set the optimum engine setting. Waiting a good weather for maiden flight in this weekend. Sorry for my happening on wodruff key of OS GT33 by mismounting a prop. Before final touch for beauty, posting severl photos.
Regards
Old 11-29-2011, 06:02 PM
choihjin

Photos for OS GT 33 on Smaragd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13415.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1693118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78032.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1693119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20514.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1693120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10242.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1693121  
Old 11-30-2011, 07:31 AM
MTK

Photos for OS GT 33 on Smaragd
Which Hatori pipe is that?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 AM
choihjin

Dear Matt K

Glad to help you.
I have posted once.
I thought you know it. (http://www.gravesrc.com/HATORI_MUFFL..._p/hat2300.htm)

Here is one in Florida in USA:
http://www.gravesrc.com/HATORI_HEADE..._p/hat2301.htm
The header for DLE 30 is same one for OS GT33 (HAT 2300 and 2301).
Seached in Google as 'Muffler GSA30 26~30CC / HEADER ZENOAH 26 DLE30'.
Good Luck
Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM
choihjin

Dear Matt K
Good Luck
It is my first quote, I did not know how to quote.
The muffler in here: http://www.gravesrc.com/HATORI_MUFFL..._p/hat2300.htm
My notebook computer has a problem now, I can not link the item (edited after fixing computer problem, it works now).
Please, see the just above my thread.
Regards
Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM
MTK

Dear Matt K
Good Luck
It is my first quote, I did not know how to quote.
The muffler in here: http://www.gravesrc.com/HATORI_MUFFL..._p/hat2300.htm
My notebook computer has a problem now, I can not link the item (edited after fixing computer problem, it works now).
Please, see the just above my thread.
Regards
Curious....what does it weigh? The Hatori cannister? Is it a tuned pipe or just a muffler?

The ES pipe is what I use, either the 30G or 40G... these work well, are very quiet and light at 3 1/2 ounces
Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 PM
MTK

Curious....what does it weigh? The Hatori cannister? Is it a tuned pipe or just a muffler?

The ES pipe is what I use, either the 30G or 40G... these work well, are very quiet and light at 3 1/2 ounces
Another thing that folks might consider....the Mintor 37cc pipe/header is also very light and is made of aluminum. Cost is much more reasonable than either ES or Hatori and you get the whole assembly. Can't vouch for the performance or noise level suppression tho...
Old 11-30-2011, 01:54 PM
choihjin

Dear MATT
I did not expect power boosted, it is a caniser for noisy reduction without affecting power.
In my case, it just happened probably due to rich fuel setting etc. Just after mounting the engine power plant in late evening, we could not adjust the engine needles because of no holes in the cowl, did not have enough time to make hole to access to the needles.
My friend who has another OS GT33 ordered a ES 40G tuned pipe from your thread. I got these Hatori from one of my friend who is building this Smaragd for me, a heli propessionalist for argricutural use. The performance between ES 40G and Hatori will be compared but I am not sure when. It will take one or two months.
All answer is here:
http://www.hatori-models.co.jp/HP3/k...301.2551e.html
http://www.hatori-models.co.jp/HP3/k...air/2300e.html
Regards
Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM
MTK

Dear MATT
I did not expect power boosted, it is a caniser for noisy reduction without affecting power.
In my case, it just happened probably due to rich fuel setting etc. Just after mounting the engine power plant in late evening, we could not adjust the engine needles because of no holes in the cowl, did not have enough time to make hole to access to the needles.
My friend who has another OS GT33 ordered a ES 40G tuned pipe from your thread. I got these Hatori from one of my friend who is building this Smaragd for me, a heli propessionalist for argricutural use. The performance between ES 40G and Hatori will be compared but I am not sure when. It will take one or two months.
All answer is here:
http://www.hatori-models.co.jp/HP3/k...301.2551e.html
http://www.hatori-models.co.jp/HP3/k...air/2300e.html
Regards
Thanks....good information to compare. Hatori has always built top notch products
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 AM
MTK

Quick update on my OS33GT repairs at Hobby Services.

Short answer: the guy that answered the phone didn't have much of a clue as to what a fellow needs to know about his repair job.... It was like pulling teeth to get out of them that my engine was just now being looked at (sent in Nov 18), or at least that was their claim. Forget about determining any findings. I'll give them that we had a long holiday in there so, OK

Did not give me any warm fuzzies
Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM
MTK

Here's the Mintor 38 installation. Note the DLE CDI unit. It runs the Mintor just fine. Also note the two servos, top is throttle and bottom is choke

The other thing of note is that part of the carb is actually inside the soft mount. The firewall has a hole in it to accommodate better breathing. That also allows me to install a foam insert behind the firewall to help reduce intake noise a little and filter the air

Name:	Sq47129.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1693968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23766.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1693969  
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM
MTK

Here's the Mintor 38 installation. Note the DLE CDI unit. It runs the Mintor just fine. Also note the two servos, top is throttle and bottom is choke
And some of the mods I made to the carb to separate the throttle and choke actuations

The exhaust adapter is made from 5/16" ally. It works great with a regular hatori header

Name:	Om33076.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1693971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88497.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1693972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35960.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1693973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60771.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1693974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18402.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1693975  
Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
PlaneKrazee

Nice adapter! What type of mill do you have?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.