Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

OS 33GT Gasoline Engine for Pattern

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

OS 33GT Gasoline Engine for Pattern

Old 07-04-2015, 03:25 AM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would you change with my baffling? Was only in the upper 70's.

This is weird. The more I think about it the more confused I become. This plane has prob close to 350 flights on it. If its a heating problem, I would think it would of showed up long ago.

What about the pipe and header. Could that change things? I'm running a little longer header than Matt which has retarded the power output by a couple hundred rpm.

Last edited by rm; 07-04-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:47 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rm
Hey rm,

I wasn't suggesting that your baffling is inadequate. That temp. should be OK as well.

I would say that the metal came from around the plug thread.

Thinking about it some more, it looks to me like a result of detonation or too high compression ratio. Could be a result of incorrect pipe length??

Most likely your set up as you have had 2 that ended the same way.

Cheers
Old 07-04-2015, 03:55 AM
rm

Sorry drac,
I edited my post about the same time as your reply.

1st motor was because of a c clip that came off the piston rod. Was running the hatori then.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:11 AM
drac1

do
Originally Posted by rm
Sorry drac,
I edited my post about the same time as your reply.

1st motor was because of a c clip that came off the piston rod. Was running the hatori then.
The common denominator here is the unusual erosion around the plug thread. I'm guessing if the C clip hadn't let go in the first engine, then the same thing would have happened. Just a matter of timing.

Still looks to me like detonation, which would be strange on the first engine when using the Hatori muffler. Detonation will destroy an engine.

The only other thing that I can think of, is too high compression, which could affect a tuned pipe and muffler set up.

Maybe fit a head shim and pull the head say, every 70 flights and inspect.

I maybe barking up the wrong tree, but that's what I would do if it were mine. Matt has more experience, so may be able to provide some advice.

Last edited by drac1; 07-04-2015 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:28 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drac1
I've seen photos of those on a YS. Do you notice any performance loss?
The KM unit was intended for the YS but works fine on all IC engines. I notice no performance loss but then again I haven't actually measured if a difference in rpm exists. Just from feel in the air, no difference except ever so slightly mellower exhaust note. My little gizmo produces similar results.

BTW can anyone open the attachments in my posts? I can't for whatever reason. These originally posted properly and then RCU put in attachment links which don't open for me. Weird
Old 07-04-2015, 05:39 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by rm

This is weird. The more I think about it the more confused I become. This plane has prob close to 350 flights on it. If its a heating problem, I would think it would of showed up long ago.

What about the pipe and header. Could that change things? I'm running a little longer header than Matt which has retarded the power output by a couple hundred rpm.
RM the baffling looks fine. It's similar to mine. The best you can do is to bring it as close to the fins without hitting them as you can. In weedwackers, the baffle is touching the fins in some models. Nothing wrong there.

I've played with header length some and doubt there's anything wrong there.

The needles are plenty fat especially the LS. I've run 2 of these engines so far and both sets of needles were set-up just about the same.

For what its worth, the heads on mine look the same. It doesn't look to me that anything came off the head. Threads look as they do due to the angle of the cut.

It probably would not hurt to send it in to Hobby Services and see what they can do for you. As meticulous as we are with our Pattern engines I believe there was something wrong with the engine. I agree its very strange to have 100+ runs and now it decides to take a dump.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:53 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by MTK
RM the baffling looks fine. It's similar to mine. The best you can do is to bring it as close to the fins without hitting them as you can. In weedwackers, the baffle is touching the fins in some models. Nothing wrong there.

I've played with header length some and doubt there's anything wrong there.

The needles are plenty fat especially the LS. I've run 2 of these engines so far and both sets of needles were set-up just about the same.

For what its worth, the heads on mine look the same. It doesn't look to me that anything came off the head. Threads look as they do due to the angle of the cut.

It probably would not hurt to send it in to Hobby Services and see what they can do for you. As meticulous as we are with our Pattern engines I believe there was something wrong with the engine. I agree its very strange to have 100+ runs and now it decides to take a dump.
To me, the irregular shape around the plug thread doesn't look normal as the combustion chamber has a smooth contoured shape.

I wouldn't expect to see that kind of pitting in the head and piston if all was OK.

Hopefully it won't be too long before I get mine set up.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:32 AM
MTK

Scott you may want to take the heads off yours to see. The appearance of the plug threads is normal.

I reloaded the photos and this time it seems okay

Last edited by MTK; 07-04-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:36 AM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like classic detonation. On automobiles, too much timing or too low fuel octane will cause molten fragments to depart the piston and score the cylinder wall. If the ring was seized that was because of extreme heat. Look closely at the spark plug for silver deposits. That would confirm detonation. Maybe 100LL avgas or 93 octane auto fuel would have helped prevent this. If no avgas is available, mix auto fuel with 25% 110LL octane gas from a speed shop or 1/4 mile race track. That should raise the octane enough to prevent detonation. Perhaps the factory set ignition timing is off?...
Old 07-04-2015, 10:36 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't look like detonation to but a bearing letting go. Seen this many times on OS engines.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:48 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by MTK
Scott you may want to take the heads off yours to see. The appearance of the plug threads is normal.

I reloaded the photos and this time it seems okay
Hey Matt,

I might do that. It does look strange to me.

What do you make of the marks on the piston top. Also the ring, which looks deformed?
Old 07-04-2015, 04:50 PM
rm

Spent some time going over the different parts. The cylinder heads look strange, but I think Matts right. The threads are all in tact and it doesn't look like metal has actually broken away from it.

Bearings are smooth, they're not the problem, plus there's no debree at all in the crankcase area. All the carnage is on the side and top of the piston.

Using a magnifying glass I can see where small pieces of metal are missing off the top corners of the piston. That's where it had to come from.

Back when I was running the new OS glow plug on this motor I did remove the sensor from the motor. Reinstalled it when I went back to the iginition and played with it's postion when I was running the motor on my test stand setting up the tuned pipe. That was 28 flights ago. So, I must have screwed it up by throwing the timing off, but in my defense it ran so good on the test stand and showed no signs of detonating. It was actually running really well the last couple days and also right before it failed.

I've been running 90 octane ethanol free gas in it since new.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:50 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by big_G
Looks like classic detonation. On automobiles, too much timing or too low fuel octane will cause molten fragments to depart the piston and score the cylinder wall. If the ring was seized that was because of extreme heat. Look closely at the spark plug for silver deposits. That would confirm detonation. Maybe 100LL avgas or 93 octane auto fuel would have helped prevent this. If no avgas is available, mix auto fuel with 25% 110LL octane gas from a speed shop or 1/4 mile race track. That should raise the octane enough to prevent detonation. Perhaps the factory set ignition timing is off?...
That is my thoughts too.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:53 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by airraptor
Doesn't look like detonation to but a bearing letting go. Seen this many times on OS engines.
A failed bearing would leave shrapnel through the crank case and it would seize immediately.The metal wouldn't get to the combustion chamber either.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:56 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by rm
Spent some time going over the different parts. The cylinder heads look strange, but I think Matts right. The threads are all in tact and it doesn't look like metal has actually broken away from it.

Bearings are smooth, they're not the problem, plus there's no debree at all in the crankcase area. All the carnage is on the side and top of the piston.

Using a magnifying glass I can see where small pieces of metal are missing off the top corners of the piston. That's where it had to come from.

Back when I was running the new OS glow plug on this motor I did remove the sensor from the motor. Reinstalled it when I went back to the iginition and played with it's postion when I was running the motor on my test stand setting up the tuned pipe. That was 28 flights ago. So, I must have screwed it up by throwing the timing off, but in my defense it ran so good on the test stand and showed no signs of detonating. It was actually running really well the last couple days and also right before it failed.

I've been running 90 octane ethanol free gas in it since new.
Yeah rm, I would say you are right. That makes sense with what I can see from the photos.

That would cause detonation. Sometimes detonation can be hard to pick.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:29 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I AGREE that the damage looks very similar to a failed bearing. I had a few bearing cages fail and most or all of the damage is found in the piston, sleeve and head. Seems like a fair amount of metal bits were distributed in the top of the engine. Finding the source will definitely help determine the cause. Can anybody provide some photos of the same areas of a new, unrun engine for comparison. What does the plug look like? It seems inconsistent that the timing could be off enough to cause that kind of damage and still have the engine run as well as you indicate. Please keep us informed of further discoveries.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:41 PM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

The bad thing about detonation is that it is aggravated by high temperature and high loads. On a cool day, you may be fine. Second, you may never hear it. Even 2 to 3 degrees too much timing advance can cause detonation (pre-ignition) damage. I'll put money on the timing was too advanced when the OP re-installed the pick-up.

Last edited by big_G; 07-04-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:20 PM
airraptor

Drac hate to tell you but a bad bearing can get to the top of the piston/chamber.
Does a magnet stick to any of the bits on top of the piston?
Old 07-04-2015, 06:30 PM
airraptor

Also look at the head and piston you will see imbedded metal and i am pretty sure that steel and not aluminum. look at how many pieces are imbedded and count them. Now count how many chunks are missing from the piston. I bet they dont match up.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:33 PM
airraptor

do you want to put in a new piston. head and ring only to find it damaged again? just because a bearing is smooth doesnt mean it is good.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:54 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by big_G
The bad thing about detonation is that it is aggravated by high temperature and high loads. On a cool day, you may be fine. Second, you may never hear it. Even 2 to 3 degrees too much timing advance can cause detonation (pre-ignition) damage. I'll put money on the timing was too advanced when the OP re-installed the pick-up.
+1.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by airraptor
Drac hate to tell you but a bad bearing can get to the top of the piston/chamber.
Does a magnet stick to any of the bits on top of the piston?
When a bearing fails, the engine will lock up immediately, not reduce in power gradually and stop. The damage seen would have been happening over a period of time. If the cage failed it wouldn't keep running at all.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:54 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by drac1
Hey Matt,

I might do that. It does look strange to me.

What do you make of the marks on the piston top. Also the ring, which looks deformed?
The marks indicate something metallic got in and damaged the moving parts. RM, did the plug lose it's ground by any chance? Or its element?

If the bearings feel smooth and shaft runs free, I find it hard to believe that the bearings lost a cage. But stranger things happen. HP Ultra is excellent oil so I doubt it was a lack of oil that caused dry running and destruction. The oil is designed for 50:1 mix and fatter so the mix was probably fine.

I also don't think there is enough room available on the sensor mount to drive ignition so far advanced that it caused detonation. I haven't played with ignition timing much personally so I can't speak from experience. I've read stuff from a couple long timers that timing can vary between 25 and 30 degrees and still work fine. After all we are running these engines at 7-8K not 14-15K ( don't think it could get there regardless).

Perplexing problem. Could something have let go on the intake side?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:23 PM
drac1

New head.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150705_134531-1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2107514  
Old 07-04-2015, 09:17 PM
rm

The plug looks good. Actually it's prob the best looking plug I've had in a while. I tend to run somewhat rich and end up carboning the plug. This one has nice color, no carbon, very clean.

Carb looks good and intact. Nothing missing that pops out at me. Haven't found any missing bolts or anything yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.