Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

MK (Japan) is closing for good

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK (Japan) is closing for good

I received word today from Mr. Kato that they have decided to close MK permanently at the end of November. What a great company that has brought so many top plane designs and products to the pattern community throughout the world. They will be missed for sure by all of us. I am working directly with Mr. Kato to bring as much of the remaining inventory here to the US before the end of November but it is not clear yet as to what is remaining.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Jim_Purcha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MK (Japan) is closing for good

Interesting. The inventory is coming to North America. Is there any tooling or design information which might beacquired by anyone in the US?

Jim
Old 10-28-2011, 07:24 PM
riot3d

ORIGINAL: F3A Unlimited

I received word today from Mr. Kato that they have decided to close MK permanently at the end of November. What a great company that has brought so many top plane designs and products to the pattern community throughout the world. They will be missed for sure by all of us. I am working directly with Mr. Kato to bring as much of the remaining inventory here to the US before the end of November but it is not clear yet as to what is remaining.

Chris,

You should find out from Kato-san to see whether he still has any more of the Aurora kit, I'll definitely take one ...

Adrian
Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have alot of MK's HDWE. I'll dig it up and see what I have.

Charles
Old 10-29-2011, 07:20 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the update, though I suspected this was coming for the past several years. Very sad. A terrific company which provided first class pattern kits and hardware for 4 decades. I am truly sorry to see them go. Was this an economic decision (well, obviously) due to poor sales or the increasing cost and decreasing availability of contest balsa? I doubt there is any kit inventory left; Chris probably got the last few kits they had.
What will happen to all the tooling/plans/rights to all their kits?
Webra, MK, ... who's next

-Will B
Old 10-30-2011, 04:15 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

MK's kit parts fit rivals any laser cut product today.... if the part does not fit exactly, it must be the wrong part. I flew two Arrows built from MK kits.

Mike
Old 10-30-2011, 06:44 PM
remmulp
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Chris,

Any news about getting their molds in the hands of someone that can continue to provide accessories such as the MK tail wheel?

Thanks,

Mike P.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: riot3d

ORIGINAL: F3A Unlimited

Chris,

You should find out from Kato-san to see whether he still has any more of the Aurora kit, I'll definitely take one ...

Adrian
Same here. The Aurora was the prettiest of all of the 60 sized airplanes I think.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Freddy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That is too bad! MK is top of the line. I got into pattern when I saw a local top flier back in the mid 70s fly a 60 size Blue Angel.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Truly bad news. They've always had the finest hardware. I remember the first time I saw MK ball bearing clevis's on my brother's plane. I was blown away. We used to buy up a bunch of their hardware (along with IM and Tettra) at Circus Hobbies when we made our trek to the TOC. MK was "often imitated, never duplicated", to borrow a phrase. Just compare their hardware to the Chinese crap that's out there. No comparison. I'm glad I have a pile of hardware we stockpiled years ago. I'm short on their tailwheel assemblies so I better get my lifetime order placed....
Old 11-02-2011, 04:24 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: glowplugboy

MK's kit parts fit rivals any laser cut product today.... if the part does not fit exactly, it must be the wrong part. I flew two Arrows built from MK kits.

Mike
I agree...MK wood kits were the best around for a couple decades or more. I also flew MK Arrows back in the day. Geez how quickly 25 years went
Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Chris Moon

Well unfortunately all of the MK tooling and molds etc were scrapped and once their stuff is sold out, it's gone. We are still trying to get what we can, but it is still not clear exactly how much is remaining in Japan. More info as we get it.....