Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

How weight affects YOUR participation at NATS

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
I don't attend - plane too heavy, would attend otherwise
16.50%
On the fence - because plane is close to max weight
9.71%
I Attend - but making weight is a challenge
12.62%
I Attend - no weight issues
56.31%
I Attend - just to fly knowing plane is too heavy
4.85%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

How weight affects YOUR participation at NATS

Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
DaveL322

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How weight affects YOUR participation at NATS

ORIGINAL: MTK

1745 grams for engine, CDI, spark plug, prop mounting bolts and washer, header, pipe, soft mount and stand offs and mounting hardware. That's around 3# 14 ozs. A reasonable sum

What's the range of weight for E-Power? That's bats, motor, motor mount hardware, prop mounting hardware and ESC. Judging from some of the battery numbers I saw, we have got to be very close.

Of course this beastie will be putting out the equivalent of 4500 watts give or take a little
TP G6 PL 5s5000 x2, Neu 1513 F3A, Hyde softmount, Neu prop adapter (with lighter prop washer and double nut), CC 80 HV (no heat sinks and short 13 AWG wiring) - 1815 grams - right on 4 pounds. For the rest of the comparison...the electric will use a 40 gram Falcon prop and ?30 gram CF spinner (I don't recall exact weight), and on the radio side, and 90 grams will provide 2 Tech Aero Vregs and 2 2s480 lipos for an easy 8 flights......so 1975 grams or 4 pounds 5.5 oz. I suspect the prop, spinner, ignition battery, and radio battery will be substantially heavier for the DLE, which will still need a gas tank and gas - maybe another 500-600 grams? So around 5 lbs 1 oz takeoff weight (figuring 6 oz weight for gas)? Nonetheless, dry weight should be well under 8 oz more, and there are plenty of electrics flying at less than 10.5, so the a DLE55 powered plane <11lbs should not be a problem - I'd be more worried about the noise level.

Regards,
Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How weight affects YOUR participation at NATS

ORIGINAL: DaveL322

ORIGINAL: MTK

1745 grams for engine, CDI, spark plug, prop mounting bolts and washer, header, pipe, soft mount and stand offs and mounting hardware. That's around 3# 14 ozs. A reasonable sum

What's the range of weight for E-Power? That's bats, motor, motor mount hardware, prop mounting hardware and ESC. Judging from some of the battery numbers I saw, we have got to be very close.

Of course this beastie will be putting out the equivalent of 4500 watts give or take a little
TP G6 PL 5s5000 x2, Neu 1513 F3A, Hyde softmount, Neu prop adapter (with lighter prop washer and double nut), CC 80 HV (no heat sinks and short 13 AWG wiring) - 1815 grams - right on 4 pounds. For the rest of the comparison...the electric will use a 40 gram Falcon prop and ?30 gram CF spinner (I don't recall exact weight), and on the radio side, and 90 grams will provide 2 Tech Aero Vregs and 2 2s480 lipos for an easy 8 flights......so 1975 grams or 4 pounds 5.5 oz. I suspect the prop, spinner, ignition battery, and radio battery will be substantially heavier for the DLE, which will still need a gas tank and gas - maybe another 500-600 grams? So around 5 lbs 1 oz takeoff weight (figuring 6 oz weight for gas)? Nonetheless, dry weight should be well under 8 oz more, and there are plenty of electrics flying at less than 10.5, so the a DLE55 powered plane <11lbs should not be a problem - I'd be more worried about the noise level.

Regards,
Thanks Dave, that confirms what I've been guessing. The 3 blade carbon prop is around 115 grams and the spinner around 100 grams. I am molding a new 3 blader and hope to shave a few more grams but I doubt it will 30 grams less. There is no additional battery required for ignition in this set-up. The same 75 gram, 1780 ma lipo runs both RC and CDI, as has been proven over the past 2+ years. But only get 5x15 min flights (70-75 minutes) comfortably. Forgot the tank and plumbing in the above estimate which adds another 60 grams give or take. Also the IBEC which adds another 18 grams.