Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

My New Futaba 18 MZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: My New Futaba 18 MZ

ORIGINAL: apereira

Jim,

What you describe is exactly what I have set up, that's the way I have it. What I mean is JR gives you three logic switches, and Futaba gives you two logic switches, directions don't count as a sw as it is the same sw (sticks). So in JR you need elev,ail and rudd input at the same time(and) to get snap roll condition, and in Futaba only two (logic).

Regards

Alejandro P.
Are we talking about a Futaba 14MZ? I can set mine so all four sticks have to be in the correct position to activate a condition. Four logic inputs. Or three or two or one. And, I haven't done it, but I believe I could get a different condition for inside or outsides or right or left or any combination if I wanted it. Probably only limited by how many conditions there are.

While we're on the subject of the 18MZ, what convinced you to buy it? I haven't seen any specs on resolution or frame rate or latency. The telemetry sensors seem very overpriced and don't seem to do any more than an Eagle Tree system and the one thing I was looking for, signal strength at the receiver, hasn't been mentioned. My 14MZs are looking pretty good in comparison when you add the price of the 18 to your budget. If someone could show a measurable improvement in how the airplane flies I'd consider one.

Jim
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah John, Spin is a different condition with a higher priority, so when Spin condition is activated (by a normal switch) even when the snap condition logic is true (stick positions) it's stay in the spin condition. However, as I only have one snap in my schedule I'm really tempted to give Futaba's snap programming a go and take full advantage of it's "illegal" timing functions. Trouble is that if the judges hear a switch, they'll probably dock you for not breaking first, (which can be done with the Futaba).

Wouldn't it be so much easier if they just designed a plane that would fly straight, smooth, snap and spin all with the one set of rates

Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: OhD

While we're on the subject of the 18MZ, what convinced you to buy it?

I ordered one because it is just so d@mn KOOL!!! Ooh, shiny, new, gotta have it!!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 PM
OhD

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

While we're on the subject of the 18MZ, what convinced you to buy it?

I ordered one because it is just so d@mn KOOL!!! Ooh, shiny, new, gotta have it!!
The real problem is you really need two as I found out this past season when I had an intermittent problem and crashed a plane. Eventually sorted it out but it took a long time so I missed a few comps. Now I have two matched systems.

Jim
Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
aussiesteve

Hey Jim - I just sent you a PM

Don't ya know - that if you have the latest shiniest most expensive radio, the peers judging you will KNOW you are better than them and wil be in such awe of the nice radio that they will mark you highly.

Come to think of it - same goes for the airframes doesn't it ?

Mmmmm - nothing wrong with shiny - It got me suckered in (and I don't even compete any more)
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim,

i have been using the 12Z, as the 14MZ has been around for so long I guess Futaba will come with something new so I decided to wait for it. As far as I know the 12 and the 14 have the same functions, but if as you say you can have up to four switches with logic, then they are different for sure why I am complaining about that.

On the reason why I go it, simple, for my the radio is part of the hobby, I just enjoy playing with it and the way it looks. i really do not need it to fly better, I totally agree with silent-av8r on that.

I read the manual, and I did not much compares to the 12z, I will comment when I take a look at it tomorrow.

Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Silent-AV8R

i really do not need it to fly better,
I do, I need all the help I can get!! [&:]
Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 AM
OhD

Jim,

i have been using the 12Z, as the 14MZ has been around for so long I guess Futaba will come with something new so I decided to wait for it. As far as I know the 12 and the 14 have the same functions, but if as you say you can have up to four switches with logic, then they are different for sure why I am complaining about that.

On the reason why I go it, simple, for my the radio is part of the hobby, I just enjoy playing with it and the way it looks. i really do not need it to fly better, I totally agree with silent-av8r on that.

I read the manual, and I did not much compares to the 12z, I will comment when I take a look at it tomorrow.

Regards

Alejandro P.
Look at page 60 of the 18MZ manual. It shows that if you select Logic instead of Single you will get a screen with two Singles that can also be changed to Logic as explained in paragraph 2. below the screen shot. The 14 has this same functionality. I looked at the 12Z manual and didn't see anything about Logic. Anyway you should be happy with the 18MZ.

Now it is time to talk about the snaps. Seems like we want lots of elevator first. Then lots of aileron and less elevator. Then get out of rudder early. Then stop on a dime. How does one set it up to do that. Comments everyone? Is that the right sequence?

Jim
Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Dean Pappas

... I haven't seen any specs on resolution or frame rate or latency. ... If someone could show a measurable improvement in how the airplane flies I'd consider one.

Jim
Once again, Jim goes right to the heart of the matter.
Why are the manufacturers not stating the latency times for all the higher end systems, at least?
After all, when spread spectrum was first discussed, latency was the first issue discussed.

Regards to ALL,
Dean Pappas
Old 01-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Skaluf

The average latency of the 18MZ is 11.2 ms in the FASSTest 12 channel mode. You'll find it to be the fastest system currently on the market.

Steve
Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
icicles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use logic switching on my 14MZ
To the extent i have no more of them to use.

I am able to set my snaps up for lo mid and hi points on throttle usage

So, i can customise a full power snap, for the amount of throw i require. I can set, up left, up right, down left and down right all independently. Even pulling elevator out if you so want

And i can then do this for mid throttle and idle throttle position. So if this makes sense, i have the ability to set up 12 snaps. This is all done automatically no switch flicking bar the spin and rollers.

I also inhibit the logic's for separate spin and rolling circle conditions

I am not going to bash the JR, it is a good radio. And i have owned a few over the years.But having played with a 12x i cannot see how it can even come close to what the Futaba does. I know this will upset JR users, not intended to.

I'd love an 18MZ, hopefully it has even more features

Cheers

Chris
Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 PM
jgg215

Steve,
And the latency of the 12z and 14mz are worse?? or the same? And what process are you using to measure latency and between what two points in the system- stick to servo output?
Why is this information not generally available for Futaba radios? Not that Futaba is any worse in disseminating this data then other manufacturers.
John
Old 01-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Skaluf

The 18MZ is the fastest system currently on the market.

If you'd like to see latency figures done by an independent, log on to RunRyder and search for the information jkos has published.

As to why it's not published more often...we had latency wars a couple of years ago. That was the buzz with spread spectrum systems. Right now, all Futaba systems are very fast, with only a few millisecond separating them. We are not asked about the latency figures that much any longer. Also since Jkos has been publishing, he has more or less become the go to guy for this info since he has no ties to any manufacturer.

Steve

ORIGINAL: jgg215

Steve,
And the latency of the 12z and 14mz are worse?? or the same? And what process are you using to measure latency and between what two points in the system- stick to servo output?
Why is this information not generally available for Futaba radios? Not that Futaba is any worse in disseminating this data then other manufacturers.
John
Old 01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
jgg215

Thanks Steve.
Do you provide the radios for jkos to test? He doesn't appear to have tested the 18MZ yet.
John
Old 01-13-2012, 03:59 PM
radray

Steve,

Actually ACT has 8 ms latency in 5-channel mode, so not quite the fastest available but still pretty good.

Ray
Old 01-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Skaluf

No end users send them to him. Keeps everyone playing by the same rules.

ORIGINAL: jgg215

Thanks Steve.
Do you provide the radios for jkos to test? He doesn't appear to have tested the 18MZ yet.
John
Old 01-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Skaluf

I think you will find that is not average latency.

ORIGINAL: radray

Steve,

Actually ACT has 8 ms latency in 5-channel mode, so not quite the fastest available but still pretty good.

Ray
Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 PM
radray

Steve,

That is what ACT advertises, I guess that someone needs to break out an o-scope.
3 data transmission modes:
High speed data transmission, 20ms at 16 channels, (normal transmitters 12 channels with 24ms)
High speed data transmission, 10 channels with 14ms
Super high speed data transmission with 5 channels at 8ms. Double as fast as HRS

Ray
Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see that it is advertised as coming with the 7008SB receiver. The receiver pics show that it has the HV label on it. Does that mean that the receiver has actual regulation of 7.4v input? If so, what voltage does it supply to the servos? If not, then you need to put a regulator in after the RX?

Also, do the new HV servos have internal regulators or do they slow down as the battery voltage drops?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:37 PM
apereira

Finally got my hands on it, the case is the same type as the 14 with the quality of the Team Double case.

The radio is light for the size also think that what obviously stands out more is the screen, fast and very very bright. The graphics are very good. The stocks are very soft, even with the tension max out are still soft for some people I know, and they very smooth. The radio is very well balanced with the regular neck strap.

The receiver is very small, is just a little bit biger than the park flyer Rx, about half of the R6008HS.

Menus are long and it will take some time to go thru all.

Jim, I'll let you know once I look into it.

Best regards

Alejandro P.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: shannah

I see that it is advertised as coming with the 7008SB receiver. The receiver pics show that it has the HV label on it. Does that mean that the receiver has actual regulation of 7.4v input? If so, what voltage does it supply to the servos? If not, then you need to put a regulator in after the RX?
Steve - like all Futaba receivers the 7008 passes whatever voltage it is fed directly to the servos. It does not have any sort of regulator (except the internal one all receivers have to drop the voltage down to the working voltage to the receiver itself uses).

Also, do the new HV servos have internal regulators or do they slow down as the battery voltage drops?
Speed and torque are proportional to voltage. 7.4 is faster and stronger than 6.0 volts. But I have been told that all of the HV servos will work all the way down to 4.8 volts if you want to go that route. The HV rating really is Futaba's way of saying, "Look, we approve of using this equipment at higher voltages".
Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Skaluf

The average latency of the 18MZ is 11.2 ms in the FASSTest 12 channel mode. You'll find it to be the fastest system currently on the market.

Steve

Thank God! The 14ms latency of the 14MZ was really keeping me down!! [&:]

Sorry, I am one of those people who think latency is one of those things that the average mortal human really cannot notice (average human reaction time is ~250ms). At least my old slow thumbs cannot. I am the slowest thing in the circuit, so if the overall latency is 264ms or 261.2ms I'm just not thinking that makes a difference. I know that lots of guys insist they can tell the difference, and I say Good On You Sir!! I lack your skills!!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:11 PM
apereira

Well, after playing with the radio but not flying because I am away from home, I Can say the manual is missing a lot of information, ie, I read from a Japanese web page the radio can indicate the signal strengh received by the Rx, there is an icon in the home screen 2, but did not find any reference in the manual yet (page 38) top picture, left of battery voltage.

I am probably mistaken but think this software is very close to that in the 14MZ, excluding the gadgets an S.Bus, so I think a software upgrade might come soon, this radio seems to be well over its software, hardware wise, there are minor improvements, but if we talk about real flight functionality, the things we really use, to say it that way, are the same.

This radio is definitly S.Bus oriented in every way, as it is really the future, the S.Bus system is extensibly used in the aerospace industry, I have been working with it for over 10 years now so it is proven and very common. Futaba just announced the aileron servo in BLS HV S.Bus, so probably the 153BLS will follow soon in the same configuration, on the pattern comunity it will not decrease the weight of the equipment as most of us use one servo extension with an extra single wire for signal to feed the tail servos (this config saves 22gr average on the 22gage wire), but it will be a lighter or a more simple configuration.

Sorry if I don't have better information, but most people here know a lot of this subject so no point explaining the obvious.

Does it worth the money? For me it does, as I am sure this software will be upgraded sooner or later, it feels great in your hands and the sticks are even better than previous models.

The manual is online as everybody know, I read it before getting the radio, so it is the best source of information.

Regards to all

Alejandro P.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:17 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

What exactly is the S.bus and what is it capable of?

Thanks,
Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S-Bus is a serial bus system whereby servo's are connected to a network and not individual ports in the receiver.
Each servo is assigned a unique address either through using the Rx itself or specialized setting tools.
All commands are then communicated down the network cable but the servo's only respond to the commands addressed to them. 

This has numerous advantages similar to what programmable servo's have but  only this is taking it a few steps further.
It makes for easier set up, due to less wiring clutter. Once a servo is set up and e.g. a rudder servo you can plug it in anywhere in the network and it works as a rudder servo.
Once setup as slaved to a function in the radio you can also move the functions around without having to unplug the servo. For example on the Rx you have ports 1 through 8
usually you have 
1 = Aileron right
2 = elevator
3 = throttle
4 = rudder
5 = gear
6 = flaps/ aileron left
7 = unassigned
8 = unassigned

so if you wanted to move aileron left to port 2 you have to unplug the servo's since they are already in the plane and move it to another port.
Not so with S-bus you simply rearrange the functions and servo's follow without you having to do anything to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.