Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Will YS ever go gas/petrol?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Will YS ever go gas/petrol?

yes had it a while but it was purchased for my Racer Edge.

I've been nibbling at the gasser pattern plane since last year when took a risk and installed a DLE20 on my Spot On. Its impresses me and many others.
The trick now is too find something that can power a 2x2.

MVVS 30cc is a option on a pipe (probablky first prize right now) as are the Mintor 33, OS GT33 and RCGF 32 all on pipes. 

The Mintor 33 seems to be a good engine, I've not run it much since I am still awaiting a suit of S-Bus servo's and associated hardware. Once that project is complete I'll turn my attention to the Neptuno and its motive force. 
I have to say the electric guys do a very good selling job

Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: TimBle

yes had it a while but it was purchased for my Racer Edge.

I've been nibbling at the gasser pattern plane since last year when took a risk and installed a DLE20 on my Spot On. Its impresses me and many others.
The trick now is too find something that can power a 2x2.

MVVS 30cc is a option on a pipe (probablky first prize right now) as are the Mintor 33, OS GT33 and RCGF 32 all on pipes.

The Mintor 33 seems to be a good engine, I've not run it much since I am still awaiting a suit of S-Bus servo's and associated hardware. Once that project is complete I'll turn my attention to the Neptuno and its motive force.
I have to say the electric guys do a very good selling job

E-Power is fine...... no sale job necessary really. You could go that way and be very happy. Through efforts of people like Dave Lockhart, Earl Haury, Dean Pappas (in Pattern anyway) and respective manufacturers that listen to them, electric has come of age and has become plug and play

I simply like the sound of IC, 2 stroke or 4, doesn't matter, as long as the sound is well attenuated. Basically the techniques we exercize in pattern. I also prefer to tinker and am not the plug and play type

I don't care for the noise that sport and IMAC gas types generate when only muffler is used. Also don't much care for their prop choices or engine mounting techniques

I suspect that the M33 develops more power than their 38cc but I'm done with Mintors...
Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Who in this thread is flying FAI?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM
TimBle

MTK<
I hear you on the M38. I don't have one yet but I've also not looked into it much. At first glance it looks like an engine that wants to rev but I could be wrong. Only way to find out is too get one I guess.
At the moment I've got the M33 and a MVVS30 IFS SP to play with and install in their respective homes. If I so choose I may drop the MVVS into the Neptuno in a few months but it was purchased for a warbird.

I could go plug and play with an electric set up but I view my progress through the pattern ranks as a learning and growth curve. I started with a gasser and I hope that as I grow an engine will be available at the right time that can allow that growth to continue.
I see gassers as an economical way to get in as many flights at the airfield as I need to improve whereas the plug and play electrics really requires quite a lot of additional investment to charge 10 5Cell packs at the required 1C to get the best life out of them. Then at the sort of current draw pattern takes from the battery packs there very little chance the packs will last more than 250 charges or 250 flights. 

IC also has soul and that just makes it more appealing.

I'm purchasing a tuned pipe for the DLE20 next. Probably going for a 1.20-to 1.10 size pipe as the DLE20 is a little more than 20cc. Going to see how that improves matters further.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

To start electric, I would recommend invest in a small plane first, such as a foamy, and fly it with you gas powered planes. Learn the thing and compare.

I made the full switch after playing with glow and gas for 10 years. I started competition 2 years ago and am 2nd year in Intermediate. What mentioned about electric earlier in this thread is true: low cost, guaranteed success with power system, and repeatable flight characteristics.

One Fai pilot in my club made the switch 2 years ago. Another sportsman pilot will compete with an electric 2m this year.

It could be a big jump first into electric but one has to recognize the benefit, both short and long term.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 AM
TimBle

I have compared through using a few of my foamies. I don't like the moving throttle mid point as the batteries deplete
Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

I can easily get 10min of flight with one fill charged 2s 740mah. The weight of the foamy has to minimized.

A different set of tricks to grasp.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Jason Arnold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: apereira

Who in this thread is flying FAI?
I fly FAI...

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason!

I know you do....., it is just that I realized I have been arguing with other pilots who might not yet understand the need for power on FAI, say the half loop with two quarter rolls with the knife edge loop portion, how big this maneuver is, just to get to the right place for the Z with 4/8 and still exit at the base line height with a 20mph cross wind.

This thread is not about YS anymore anyway, see you in the next thread mate!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 PM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

I agree 100%. Just add summer conditions at 90-100 oF in very humid day and try to count 1001, 1002, 1003 before doing each 1/4 roll. This is the only way to know if the motor has enough power. That is the real test.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:48 AM
steph18

Hi everybody,

well yesterday evening I took some time to make a photo of my plane with the RCGF32

stephane
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 AM
TimBle

let us know how it flies.

which category are you flying currently
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
steph18

I'm flying on the FAI schedules ten years ago, so this year I'm flying on the P13 and if I have time I try to train me on the F13.

stephane

Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 AM
TimBle

sweet!