Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Judging Guide Query

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 PM
twoturnspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Judging Guide Query

Reading through the 2012 FAI F3A Sporting Code I was interested to see that there is now weighting given to key elements of judging, viz: geometry ~50%, smoothness and gracefulness ~25%, positioning ~12.5%, size ~12.5% (Rule 5B.4.) Therefore geometry is worth about 5 points per manoeuvre, smoothness & gracefulness is worth about 2-3 points per manoeuvre, etc.

So my comments/concerns are as follows:

1. The Code gives very little guidance regarding deductions for smoothness and gracefulness, just Rule 5B.9 which highlights radius extremes and inconsistent speed. To compound this issue the examples in Rule 5B.13 dont mention this criteria at all, seems odd for a criteria worth 25% of points awarded, you would think there would be at least one example.

2. How can the percentages given have any meaning when the examples given in the aformentioned 5B.13 ignore them entirely. For example positioning is rated at ~12.5%, say 1-2 points per manoeuvre. The tenth example given in 5B.13 is a perfect spin performed 45% off centre which is assessed as being worth a 6, therefore 4 point deduction, due only to being off centre. If positioning is only worth 12% how can the score for the manoeuvre be reduced by 40%?

To me it makes no sense having the weighing given in the Code, it just confuses the issue. Surely the judge watches a manoeuvre and deducts points based on faults observed if positioning is off 45% it is worth 3-4 points, if the geometry is off so badly as to loose 8 points then 8 points are deducted. In what circumstances would the weighting make a difference to how a judge scores?

On a related issue, attached is an abbreviated Judges Planner that I developed and have updated. The concept is to use it when briefing judges or during training at the flight line as I thought it might be helpful. Any comments appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pn36568.pdf (156.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 AM
cartercg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Judging Guide Query

Twoturnspin you raise very valid points. I guess it's ultimately very dificult to remove the fairly significant element of subjectivity associated with some of the aspects that may be rewarded/appreciated by good judges. Even criteria that should be clear cut are open to preference. Take for example distance. Between 150m to 175m is actually a fairly big difference, especially when one considers the differences between the speed and size when flying on 150m compared to 175m. Both should score the same, but smoothness and gracefulness may favor one style versus another, but different judges may have different opinions on what looks good to them, usually informed by what the local top pilots are flying. In competive F3A one point per manover seperates a significant portion of the field.

The abbreviated guide is very useful and can certainly see scope for using it locally here. Thanks.

Regards
Clint