Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Futaba 18 MZ setup problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:29 AM
flyf3a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 18 MZ setup problem

Hi

To those that have already aquired this radio some help please. I am trying to setup the snap roll function on this radio with no success (was a simple process on the 14 MZ).

First problem, when activating the 2 aileron wing option and ailvator function in tail type the following channels are pre assigned using the supplied 7008 SB receiver:

Channel 1 Aileron
Channel 2 Elevator
Channel 3 Throttle
Channel 4 Rudder
Channel 5 Gear
Channel 6 Aileron 2
Channel 7 Elevator 2

However, channel 7 is the battery channel, so moved the elevator 2 channel to channel 5. Elevator 2 no reversed so reverse for correct up and down movement.

In the snap setup function activate switch SF for snap function (right down), but now find that right elevator does not want to move when snapping, all other channel work fine.

What am I missing ???

Can any of the remaining channels be used for the battery input?

Regards

Burt
Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 AM
J-P
My Feedback: (1)

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 18 MZ setup problem

Just plug the battery in a free channel....
Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 AM
grantb

Even the S-Bus channel will work as a battery port. Clinton has been flying like that for some time now.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:41 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The snap function is not working for me either, I can not set all four directions using the sticks as switches, I did it using conditions as in the past.

I know someone told me about the logic pages for the snap roll and that it was in the manual, but I could not find it.

Burt, remember if you need to use any channel and a servo you can connect the servo and battery with a Y extension, I know it is not the way anyway....

Regards
Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Here is an interesting way to do it, just use the sticks
Old 02-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Jason Arnold

ORIGINAL: rgreen24

Yeah, I'd go along with that.... :-)

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Bill Clark

or atleast dont announce to everyone you're using the switch LOL
ORIGINAL: Aussie_Knife_Edge

ORIGINAL: rgreen24

Yeah, I'd go along with that.... :-)

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 AM
apereira

Obviously the point has been mistaken,

In my personal case, I never use the sw, not even to set the snap condition as many people do and I used to do too, I guess there is a lack of knowledge on the use of these radios to many people, the thing is, to get the snap conditions activated (that means surfaces throws in case someone does not understand what I mean) by using the sticks as switches, so in normal flying condition you hit the snap with the sticks as usual, but when aileron and elevator reach certain point the radio will go automatically to the snap condition, but the problem is I am using two conditions and logic for that like Wolfgang Matt thought me, two for each directions, unlike JR where the snap condition activation can be set independently for the four directions, that is what in my case cannot do with the Futaba radio on the snap function, but rather have to go to conditions. I thought that will be fixed on the 18MZ.

I will suggest, before mocking someone else comment, to try to understand first what is the question, as you only showed everyone you do not even know how to set the radio for auto snap condition setting, only those who do not know how to snap use the switch, or those who do not know advance radio programming.

I have made my question in the Futaba forum, as they might have a better idea there in Hobbico of what I am talking about.

Regards
Old 02-15-2012, 07:29 AM
rgreen24

apereira, we are all friends here please don't take the comments as mocking you. Some people use the snap switch, and for me, I don't understand why, when you can use the sticks to achieve the same objective. By the way i use the 14MZ and use conditions to set my snap rates using my sticks to initiate the rate, so somewhat similar to what you mentioned. I will be getting the 18MZ when it comes out as well, as i like the telemetry feature and the faster processor in the radio
Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM
apereira

I understand, but it also shows how important is to read well the comments, that's all.

Why I explain is what you are using, same thing, I just can't understand why Futaba has not improved the Snap Roll function so we do not need to use conditions, JR has it, as I changed for JR12X to Futaba 12Z and now the 18MZ, so Futaba is behind JR on that one, but I will never go back to JR, unless JR can prove to have something way better than the 18MZ, and I really doubt that will happen anytime soon.

The 18MZ is the first Futaba radio I think it has better sticks than any JR, JR used to be better, but not anymore in my opinion. Share your comments when you get it; People say, they do not need the camera, or this or that, whatever.., once you get it and try it, there is simply no way back, that is my opinion, I like it more everyday, and it has too many new posiblilities, of course, I did not buy the 14MZ before as I heard this was comming out, so I cannot have a good comparison to it.

Regards
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: apereira

I understand, but it also shows how important is to read well the comments, that's all.

Why I explain is what you are using, same thing, I just can't understand why Futaba has not improved the Snap Roll function so we do not need to use conditions, JR has it, as I changed for JR12X to Futaba 12Z and now the 18MZ, so Futaba is behind JR on that one, but I will never go back to JR, unless JR can prove to have something way better than the 18MZ, and I really doubt that will happen anytime soon.

The 18MZ is the first Futaba radio I think it has better sticks than any JR, JR used to be better, but not anymore in my opinion. Share your comments when you get it; People say, they do not need the camera, or this or that, whatever.., once you get it and try it, there is simply no way back, that is my opinion, I like it more everyday, and it has too many new posiblilities, of course, I did not buy the 14MZ before as I heard this was comming out, so I cannot have a good comparison to it.

Regards
Didn't we just cover this subject on another thread? The 14MZ does have the capability that you desire and I assume the 18MZ will too.

So for all you folks who don't have the ability to set conditions using the sticks, do you want to buy a 14MZ? The only switches I use are the ones that turn on/off the throttle-elevator mix (off during landing) and the throttle kill. Pretty hard to screw up a flight by not having a switch in the right place.

Jim O
Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 PM
apereira

Jim,

http://futaba-rc.com/systems/18mz_menu/index.html

Please tell me how again if you don't mind, I could not find it. There is the virtual 18MZ.

Regards
Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 PM
OhD

Alejandro, take a look at page 160 of the manual and I'm sure you can see the possibilities. I basically have only one snap condition and only use aileron AND elevator stick positions greater than 95% to trigger the condition. I can set up elev throw different from down and right ail different from left in this "snap" condition. If you wanted different right rudder throw for example on insides and outsides you'd need another condition but you could do it. If it isn't clear I'd be happy to explain in more detail.

Jim O

Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
rgreen24

Also look at page 135 of the 18 MZ manual.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 AM
apereira

I will check the manual again as you guys suggest, I'll let you guys know.

Regards
Old 02-16-2012, 04:38 AM
apereira

Page 135 is the description of the snap roll function, I know that one upside down, but nothing about the way I want to set it, I do not want to use toggle switches.
Page 160 is the logic function when available, and it is not available in the Snap Roll page, I know the logic very well too.

I will keep using Snap Roll as a condition where I have aileron AND rudder as logic and switches, and where I can also set hysteresis, I have been using it for two years now, it just sucks that such a nice radio have overlooked the snap roll function, please look at the JR 11X or 12X so you can understand what I mean, there you can set the three axis rudd,elev and ail as switches, the three of them, or just two if you want, and they can be set independently for each snap roll direction, so it is on the same page but you have to set everything again for each one. Again I will never go back to JR just for that!

Thanks for the tips.

Alejandro P.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 PM
OhD

ORIGINAL: apereira

Page 135 is the description of the snap roll function, I know that one upside down, but nothing about the way I want to set it, I do not want to use toggle switches.
Page 160 is the logic function when available, and it is not available in the Snap Roll page, I know the logic very well too.

I will keep using Snap Roll as a condition where I have aileron AND rudder as logic and switches, and where I can also set hysteresis, I have been using it for two years now, it just sucks that such a nice radio have overlooked the snap roll function, please look at the JR 11X or 12X so you can understand what I mean, there you can set the three axis rudd,elev and ail as switches, the three of them, or just two if you want, and they can be set independently for each snap roll direction, so it is on the same page but you have to set everything again for each one. Again I will never go back to JR just for that!

Thanks for the tips.

Alejandro P.

It is not clear if you are satisfied with the end results of your setup using conditions and logic and you are not satisfied with the fact you can't do it on the Spin menu or what? Is there something you are not able to achieve ? I am curious how and why you set hysteresis? Are you referring to different on/off switch positions using the sticks?

Jim O
Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM
jgg215

Jim,

When you set up the stick positions as logic to control the snap condition, you should have a menu page to set the amount of stick travel for the switch. On that page there should be a "mode" which is either linear or symetrical. There is also a "type which is either "box" or "hyster". I'd be clearer about the screens but I have a 12 and I think you have a 14.
I use hysteresis on both aileron and rudder switches - on is about 90% and off is about 25%. The switches are only active in the "normal" condition. I have a spin/landing condition on a physical switch
as well but the snap condition cannot be reached from that condition.

John
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 PM
OhD

Thanks John, I never thought of using hysterisis but it probably makes sense especially on a snap and a half as the roll rate remains more constant as you come back to neutral. I'll give it a try.

Jim O
Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 AM
atul

Talking about setup issues, I just got a 18MZ which I'm planning on putting into a Naruke Aries. I've been using a JR 12X until now and I use a two-battery receiver power setup. This then allows one to power the YS 170 ignition ignition by connecting one end of a switch into the receiver. However, with the 7008 receiver that ships with the 18MZ, there seems to be just 8 slots for servos (not counting the SBus slot). Has anyone used a two batteries to power the 7008 receiver? Can one use an SBus extension to plug in the batteries? That would solve the problem neatly.

I've also been following the discussion on setting up the Snap roll function. The instruction manuals with both Futaba and JR are very terse on the subject. Is there any place where there's an illustrated guide that shows how the Snap rates, etc. and the 'using the stick as a switch' concept are properly explained with diagrams? That would be nice for novices like me!

I'm looking forward to using the 18MZ.

Thanks,

Atul
Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Atul,

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the snap roll menu as I don't use it. You can however use the sbus ports for battery. I am currently doing that.

Archie