Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Curious about e-powered Integral

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about e-powered Integral

I did some research but found mostly older posts about e-powered Integrals.

Is it fairly 'easy' to make weight with this plane (new)?

I still like the looks of it for some reason, and even like that it's available in just plain white. Found it for around $1000 somewhere with all composite parts.

Not really looking to buy a 2M plane immediately, but there are not many that really appeal to my eye (and the ones that do are not cheap - Wist models At this point the next plane is either this, the 2M Osiris, or something used.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 AM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Curious about e-powered Integral

Joe, you can make weight with the newer Integrals being careful with motor and battery selection. If you choose heavier motors and batteries it might be a little tough to make the current limits. I have one of the original Integrals and it finished out about 2-3 oz over using TP5300 batteries and a Dualsky motor. That is with all original equipment. However, since the first Integrals came out, CARF has made some improvements to the weight now which has helped on subsequent Integrals I have built.

The white Integrals are about the same weight as the painted ones so keep in mind you will be adding weight when you add the trim colors. I know a couple people that have built the newer Integrals using lacquer rattle cans from auto part stores or from the hobby shop with great results. Since it is not glo powered, the lacquer works great and is about as light a finish as you can get with paint. It dries rather than cures so when the solvents evaporate it gets lighter. The catalized paints retain most of there weight as they cure.

Woodie
Team Acme LG
Team Blenderm

Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Joe, for $2K I'll sell you one ready to fly with Pletty 30-10 EVO and JR Servos all around<g>
Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 AM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

The all white Integral kit at $1,040.00 is the best buy out there in 2M planes IMO. Get Dave Snow to build a wing for you if you want it lighter. It's going to take some planning to make weight with the stock kit. But if the rules change for next year you probably won't have to worry about it. They are great flying planes.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 AM
JoeSpitfire
My Feedback: (18)

Hi Joe.

I built an e-Integral a couple years ago and swapped out many of the standard components to make weight. You may have seen this already, but here's a link to some ideas on how to save weight: http://electric-f3a.com/smf/index.php?topic=58.0 . At the time, baterry choices were limited; however, the Zippy 15C 5000mAh or F3A Unlimited batteries will help make weight. The Integral is one of the most affordable composites out there right now, and a terrific flying plane.

The nice thing about "e" is this plane looks as good today as it did the day it rolled out of my shop.

Joe
Old 04-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Jetdesign

Thanks all, this is good to hear.

I have a Neu 1512 (503g bare) that is A MONSTER with a 19x12 propeller, it is a lot more power than I can control on my Wind. Should give similar performance to a YS setup on the Integral I imagine. Maybe it can swing a 20x10, it gets very slightly warm behind the rearmost mount plate with 19x12 at 7400 rpm, but nothing to speak of really. I've been running 5000mah packs but just got some 4000mah as I've never put over 3300 back in. Maybe the 4400's on the integral are a good choice.

I am going to sell my motorcycle. I think I'll set some of the money aside for a new plane. I saw a comment about the Integral feeling 'locked in' and 'on rails' - I had a similar feeling with my Venus, but NEVER with the Wind 110. Could be me, but I have a feeling it's the 0-0-0 setup and all the elevator trim. At this point I'm more excited about my Quique Yak knock-off than the Wind.

Any references (who to talk to, where to look) for weights and setups of the new composite versions?

I think I would keep a very minimal trim scheme and use Ultracote. I like the white, just need some strategically placed contrast for visibility, and, I am not good at painting.

If I go this route, I plan on, well, a lot of planning I don't want to spend a fortune trying to save weight, but don't mind spending a few bucks up front to do it right the first time. That is the biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, especially pattern. The cheap route usually cost more money and more time, at least for me.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an Integral that I specifically requested to be made very light when I ordered. My sales rep at the time (Jason S.) probably helped out in that regard, but the plane (stock scheme with some color mods) was 4760g RTF with 5000's, pletty etc. Very light plane, flew really nice. So it is possible, just work with your sales rep when ordering, you may have to wait longer since the plane will be custom, but it didn't cost me any extra. It would allow you to be less picky with equipment selection.

The Int's had a bit of a history of being right at the limit, so when John Fuqua weighed it at the '08 Nats he had to look sto see what batterie I had in it lol.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
cchariandy

Interesting...I considered another Int last year and contacted my "new" sales rep as it was no longer Jason. All I asked for was matching wing panels as my current Int panels differ by more than 50gms forcing more weight on the lighter panel. The new guy told me that he was not prepared to open boxes and hand select parts, making weight was entirely my risk. My response...keep your $1040. These arent toys, we'd like to use them to compete...unless the reps are helpful (read not *****holes) they arent worth the trouble.

Colin.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 AM
wattsup

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Colin, this is the very thing I've complained about for years. Unless or until you have "name recognition" you are ALWAYS going to get what's left, as in a "bouncing baby boy"! The bright side is that if one is willing to learn how to build a pattern plane properly, AUW will no longer be an issue. Just my thoughts, Everette
Old 04-11-2012, 07:16 AM
can773

ORIGINAL: cchariandy

Interesting...I considered another Int last year and contacted my ''new'' sales rep as it was no longer Jason. All I asked for was matching wing panels as my current Int panels differ by more than 50gms forcing more weight on the lighter panel. The new guy told me that he was not prepared to open boxes and hand select parts, making weight was entirely my risk. My response...keep your $1040. These arent toys, we'd like to use them to compete...unless the reps are helpful (read not *****holes) they arent worth the trouble.

Colin.

Hi Colin,

50gms is for sure not acceptable, all three of mine were pretty close, 5-10 gms different which is fairly normal difference to me. Too bad you had such a bad experience. Try a Caelestia next, much better ;-)
Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 PM
cchariandy

Only if I get to return the plane if the weights suck.

Colin.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
can773

ORIGINAL: cchariandy

Only if I get to return the plane if the weights suck.

Colin.
Colin
Wouldn't be a need for that.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Jetdesign

It feels like a lot longer than 2 months since I started this thread.

I got an email from the Comp Arf rep - the Integral is discontinued, he only had one painted plane in the warehouse.

I knew Chief Aircraft had them listed in-stock online, so I bought one this morning. I'll update this thread (slowly) as I progress.

I am planning on being careful with this assembly, trying to find the right components to make weight and to make a reliable and fun-flying airplane.