Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

What's going on with the NSRCA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:13 PM
mjfrederick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's going on with the NSRCA?

I was going to pose these questions on the NSRCA list, but my messages are currently not going through to their server due to a technical issue.

My main question is: has the NSRCA collapsed? The NSRCA doesn't do a whole lot, so when things get screwed up, it's really easy to notice. I re-joined the NSRCA this year because I finally had the time to devote to pattern. Since I rejoined in mid-March I have yet to receive an issue of the K-Factor. The April issue still isn't out, and is not available online. It's almost mid-May. The June issue should be hitting mailboxes in the next week or two. I asked my district VP what the deal was with the K-Factor, he said he would look into it, and has yet to receive a response. Add to this the total lack of forethought and organization on the rules proposal process: instead of doing nothing the board decided to back some really bad rules proposals that were hastily-written and did not reflect the desires of the membership. All these things, and the NSRCA's silence on the K-Factor problem (I did post a query regarding that to the NSRCA list a couple weeks ago which went totally unanswered) has me wondering if someone, or many someones, has fallen asleep at the wheel. Is the organization broke and just can't afford to print the K-Factor? Can we not even afford to post it online? Is it even a money issue, or something entirely different?

Like I said at the beginning, the NSRCA doesn't have a whole lot of responsibility, so when they screw something up, it shows. I'm not trying to call anyone out for doing a bad job, I just want an explanation of what the heck is going on within the organization that I paid good money to join.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: What's going on with the NSRCA?

Perhaps we should dock their pay . .
I think that a 50% pay cut for a couple months would get their attention!!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 PM
mjfrederick

50% cut in membership next year would REALLY get their attention.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:15 AM
Jason Arnold

This might be your answer...

http://queenslandf3a.ning.com/photo/...ource=activity

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:50 AM
mjfrederick

OK, well, they've been "talking"about going all electronic for a couple of years. If that's what they've decided to do, then where is the electronic copy?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:28 AM
rix

Have you Contacted the NSRCA president directly on this? I think it would be prudent for all NSRCA members to have a certain level of empathy and respect to the NSRCA volunteers who care enough to take on the tasks of running the organization. If a member has concerns or questions on a specific topic then it would behoove them to contact the appropriate volunteers directly to voice the concern or ask the question. The general membership is not going to have the answers you seek and it only serves to discourage volunteers who accept responsibility when negative tones directed at them are voiced in an open forum.

A little diplomacy and respect goes a long way in the overall health of any organization run by volunteers. Mis-information and conjecture concerning overall desires of the membership is not a desired path either.

Referring to our volunteers as “they†assumes an elite group have taken over and created an oligarchy. The “they†are members just like the rest of us who love aerobatics and most are out flying contests like the rest of us do. Good folk are tough to find, so let’s be mindful of that.

Contact the appropriate representative directly with your concerns\questions first. If you are not satisfied with those results take it up with the NSRCA president. If those results are not satisfied, then cast your vote in the next election cycle and or campaign to volunteer yourself.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rix

Have you Contacted the NSRCA president directly on this? I think it would be prudent for all NSRCA members to have a certain level of empathy and respect to the NSRCA volunteers who care enough to take on the tasks of running the organization. If a member has concerns or questions on a specific topic then it would behoove them to contact the appropriate volunteers directly to voice the concern or ask the question. The general membership is not going to have the answers you seek and it only serves to discourage volunteers who accept responsibility when negative tones directed at them are voiced in an open forum.

A little diplomacy and respect goes a long way in the overall health of any organization run by volunteers. Mis-information and conjecture concerning overall desires of the membership is not a desired path either.

Referring to our volunteers as “they” assumes an elite group have taken over and created an oligarchy. The “they” are members just like the rest of us who love aerobatics and most are out flying contests like the rest of us do. Good folk are tough to find, so let’s be mindful of that.

Contact the appropriate representative directly with your concerns\questions first. If you are not satisfied with those results take it up with the NSRCA president. If those results are not satisfied, then cast your vote in the next election cycle and or campaign to volunteer yourself.
Very well stated. Mike
Old 05-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Jason Arnold

I think going electronic is the way to go. It makes it cheaper and easier for the organisation too.

Like others said, these guys volunteer their time for the membership and their time goes largely unthanked. Without their hard work our competitions wouldn't be what they are.

Regards,
Jason.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:53 PM
klhoard

ORIGINAL: rix. . .<snip>. . Referring to our volunteers as “they” assumes an elite group have taken over and created an oligarchy.. . .<snip>. . .
When you say "elite", I hope you're not referrring to the likes of McHarg are you?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca83039.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1762370  
Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM
woodie

Hey guys, Don Atwood here. I am one of the 'volunteers' and have been on the Board for the last few months.

Maybe we can turn this situation of delayed Kfactor delivery (that is certainly an irritant ) into a positive discussion. I believe the topic of electronic distribution of the Kfactor has come up before and met with resistance, so much so it was not pursued any further. And, yes, it is difficult to deliver the Kfactor in a timely manner and maintain the quality/content. Have we been late in recent deliveries? Yes, but I can assure it is not from lack of effort of the 'volunteers'.

The idea of electronic delivery of the Kfactor or something like it 'appears' to be very simple and easy to accomplish. Yes, electronic delivery via email or access to a website it not that difficult, however, there are other things to consider. Not all our membership has access to nor wants electronic delivery via the internet. Some really do wish to have a paper version, nothing wrong with that, it is just their preference. It is the way we have always delivered the information in the Kfactor. Change to any established process that has been around as long as the Kfactor is difficult.

So, let's hear your ideas on what you think would work. Pure electronic delivery, a mixture? Or maybe a completely different approach to deliver of the typical information we have in the Kfactor. What do you want to see? What would benefit you as a pilot/member?

I know am probably opening up a can of worms here, but what the heck, it's a slow Sunday.... Just kidding (kinda). Let's hear your ideas.

Woodie (aka Don Atwood)
Team Blenderm
Team Acme LG

Old 05-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

What do you save with the electronic K-Factor? Printing and shipping? The formatting and production is what takes the time.

The production will still be there, unless you change the format to a long Word document that the editor compiles from each of the VP's columns. I don't see the printing and distribution process being the bottleneck here.

Who is doing the production of the K-Factor? I presume at the printing facility, as I never saw or heard of proofing rounds when I was VP for a short while in 2008-2009.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Ryan Smith

And to answer your question, Don, I would like at the most to see the member being able to choose whether they receive their K-Factor electronically or by mail. Personally, I like having the hard copy (that's not printed from my printer!); but I also still buy CDs just to load onto my iPod so that I have the physical disc.

I could be in the minority, but I don't see any compelling reason why the electronic K-factor would save us a substantial sum of money. Perhaps a larger percentage of money due to the size of the organization relative to the distribution costs. If we went to all electronic marketing deliverables at my work (Horizon Hobby, which I would say comprises over half of what we do), we wouldn't save much because of all of the graphic artists that have to actually develop these items. That being said, the cost percentage would be a drop in a bucket because of how large our company is.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I like paper copies of things I'm genuinely interested in. I'm getting tired of staring at computer screens all day, and it's nice to have something short and fun to read in other rooms of the house (yes, *that room), or to bring on a short airplane ride or in my 'briefcase' or whatever.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What you save by going to all electronic delivery is time spent addressing, mailing, stamping, etc. The actual cost of production will change slightly due to a lack of physical materials, but you don't save any time or cost on the actual creation of content, formatting, etc because that all has to be done anyway.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 AM
klhoard

I recommend a format where everything is posted on the website and save the $20K-ish per year the NSRCA spends on the K-Factor. Just keep a well updated and current website. It's nice to have a paper copy, but I think a well formatted website would be a much better place to accumulate all of the "shootout in Intermediate" articles along with the (dwindling number of) construction articles in one easy to locate place.
As it is now, if I want to locate a construction article, I have to remember which month it was published and sort thru the PDF's online. Honestly, I don't keep any of the paper K-Factors once I've skimmed over all of the contest reports (which is 90% of content), and none of it means anything to the sport flyers at my club - they throw them in the trash as well.
Would this be a bad time to remind everyone that I also believe we need to get rid of the turnaround maneuvers in Sportsman?
I'll be outside banging my head against a tree . .
Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 AM
rix

There are free online magazine publication services that might be an option as well and would save allot of web work trying to format an online k-factor every month. Issuu is a web magazine publishing service that will take a PDF document and format it into a nice magazine style interactive interface for the reader. The service also gives the reader an option to download the pdf and print it for those that prefer to have a hard copy. Once the PDF is created you can either link out to the magazine directly to the issuu server or you can imbed a script they give you directly into your site for a more personal touch and continue to offer it to NSRCA members only. You can trigger an option to make the publication public or private.

http://issuu.com/explore
Old 05-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Ryan Smith

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

What you save by going to all electronic delivery is time spent addressing, mailing, stamping, etc. The actual cost of production will change slightly due to a lack of physical materials, but you don't save any time or cost on the actual creation of content, formatting, etc because that all has to be done anyway.
How much will all that run you? Next to nothing I'm sure. Have you seen our Horizon big book at any events this year? It's got some involved/expensive printing processes, but they are cheap enough than we can afford to give them away.

I guess it's all in what the endgame is. Does the NSRCA want to eliminate delays with the K-factor? Do they want to save money? Or do they want to give options to their members? Once you identify that as a reason to modify the delivery format of the magazine, then you can move forward.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I like paper copies of things I'm genuinely interested in. I'm getting tired of staring at computer screens all day, and it's nice to have something short and fun to read in other rooms of the house (yes, *that room), or to bring on a short airplane ride or in my 'briefcase' or whatever.
What...no "laptop for johnie"??
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM
jnhiller

Hi Don I enjoyed flying with you guys last fall.

Before replying I tried to find a recently printed assessment / proposal regarding electronic K-Factor. It was probably in one of the K-Factor articles but couldn't find it. Maybe someone will remember it and point the way.

We long term members support the NSRCA for what it has and continues to contribute to the RC-Aerobatics not for what we personally receive in return. This issue can go beyond a members only newsletter making pattern more visible, supporting and promoting participation.

In past years I too would have preferred a hard copy but in mid 2010 our club changed to a monthly E-newsletter, which I retain in a folder on my PC, now 50M. File size and storage has become irrelevant for those of us with a high-speed internet connection but retention of a mailed hard copy for those member that prefer it should be considered.
Our club sends the E-version to a print shop for printing, which doesn't require set-up, deadlines or print job scheduling. These folks are all over and most are happy to bid low volume (by publishing standards) repeat business. Some will likely handle addressing and mailing duties as well.

I now prefer the E-version especially when trying to find something I remember reading.
I truly wish I could have found the above mentioned article to help advance this discussion.

Jim
Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 AM
pattratt
My Feedback: (1)

Don
Put me down in the mailed hard copy camp.
Dick
Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 AM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

I find I don't miss not getting the K-Factor. There is more timely and better information on the on-line forums, and NSRCA site and E-mail list.
Perhaps it's time to do away with it and spend more money and time making the NSRCA on-line stuff better and more current.
Dave
Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

If people still want hard copy, maybe it would be better to have a bi-monthly or Quarterly newsletter instead of a monthly.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW.. you can take a pdf version to Kinko's and they'll print and staple it for next to nothing.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

I have just spoken to our publishing company.  It seems that there has been some issues between company A and company B in getting the postage issues handled as the NSRCA pays for bulk mail.  We are working on setting up a plan to where all of this is handled at least one month in advance so that these delays are eliminated.  I assure you, the NSRCA is solvent.  When we have to work with multiple companies and/or organizations, sometimes it's just not cut and dry and we are working to try to prevent this in the future.

Finally, I have just received the files and am waiting on a few pictures to convert the "published" version of the Kfactor to the online pdf version for April.  I have to wait until the publishing company uploads the files to a server so that I can get them and convert everything to pdf.  Because we want to offer our advertisers more, I have to convert all of the url's to hyperlinks in InDesign and then create the pdf.  The process does not take a long time but must be done properly or we wind up with pixelated photos and that's just not okay .  I should have the April version online today or tomorrow assuming I get the missing pictures.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Ryan Smith

Scott,

Do you (or has it historically been the editor's job) format the entire magazine, or is it done at the publisher's, or is the duty split? I would like know just out of curiosity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.