Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

No Fly area - St. Charles, Illinois Fri- Sat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

No Fly area - St. Charles, Illinois Fri- Sat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 AM
louie525
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Fly area - St. Charles, Illinois Fri- Sat?

What is status of pattern contest at St. Charles, Illinois this weekend? Our buddy is coming back to town and will disrupt another weekend flying here in Chicago! [:'(]Two weeks ago was Nato! I wish he would stay in Washington and stop spending tax dollars we obviously can't afford. Rohm has to be sick of him anyway!!!!! What is the plan Gary????? Move contest to Shorewood, Illinois?

*** Moderator edit to remove political commentay ***
Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 AM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: No Fly area - St. Charles, Illinois Fri- Sat?

I cant wait til November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me neither, especially if Romney wins. I'm certain that no good Republican will complain when Mitt travels and shuts down the airspace. Point being, Presidents travel. While there are many reasons to not like Obama, the shut down of airspace is perhaps the silliest.

It is the Secret Service, Homeland Security and the FAA that close down the airspace, they are the true culprits. The AMA has tried without success to get the FAA to allow model flying. Even the AOPA has been met with a stonewall from the FAA on this issue.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:16 AM
louie525

It costs $180,000.00 and hour to fly Air force one.......That's my axe to grind here. The city of Chicago closed 3 of the 5 mental facitlities due to lack of funding. The mighty Quinn is going to add a buck to each pack of cigarette's we sell too. I don't smoke but come on allready!!!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 AM
Silent-AV8R

My quibble is that the FAA is way over reacting to the legitimate security concerns that surround any President. It is flat silly to prohibit model airplane flying during the visit of any President. As far as concern about travel costs, well, again, that is something that ALL Presidents incur, not just the ones one of us happens not to like.

BTW - here are some fun facts:

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/07/the...ing-president/
Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrong info look below!!!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 AM
Silent-AV8R

Good to see that you guys will be able to fly. Sorry for the mini-hijack, it's just that I think this is both a stupid action by the FAA/DHS/SS and a silly means to criticize whoever happens to be President.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:15 AM
mups53

We never had any NOTAM's in Chicagowhen Bush was President because it's enemy territory for Republican's. So based one that and my ability to fly more Mitt would help us out.
Mike
Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Silent-AV8R

Under Bush the folks around Crawford, TX were afected. Oh wait, there isn't anyone around there [&:]

Under Mitt the folks in San Diego will be hosed when he goes to his La Jolla mansion. And they can fly all year, so being closed down for Christmas would not be any fun.

Point is, again, all Presidents travel and for now the FAA is going to continue with their draconian policy of closing down as much flying of any type that they can. This has nothing to do with WHO is President. All that changes with the who is the where.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 AM
corch

It will get worse.  Trust me.  At least the weather looks cherry sweet!  Wish I could be there, good luck and have fun!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 AM
mups53

This is the real deal and the post from the AMA is missleading. We are in area 5 at St Charles this restricts us from flying at 3:45 till 5PM on Fridays practice and from 10AM till 12:30PM on Saturday.
Gary's plan is to fly at 9AM till 10AMof Saturady AM then resume at 12:30. We will have lunch during the break. It's not a big deal and shouldn't stopanyonefrom coming.
Read it carefully we are in area 5.
A new FDC NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the greater Chicago, IL metropolitan area beginning Friday, 6/1 at 3:45p and continuing until 12:30p CDT on Saturday, 6/2. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area.Outdoor Radio Controlled model aircraft operations are prohibited within the 30nm circles for the specific times listed below. Control Line and Free Flight modelers should use discretion and follow the directions of local law enforcement and government officials when operating within the 10nm inner circles.Please note that TFRs are subject to change with very short notice. Check back often for the most current NOTAM/TFR information.
Timely alerts are also available on the web at: www#modelaircraft#org/membership/clubs/notams#aspx or on your cell phone at: Twitter#com/amagov#
See the link to the TFR below for more detailed information regarding the restrictions:
    [*]Area 1 (6/1, 3:45p – 5:00p CDT)
    (30nm radius from Latitude: 41º58’46”N, Longitude: 87º54'21"W)[*]Area 2 (6/1, 3:45p – 5:00p CDT)
    (10nm radius from Latitude: 41º58’46”N, Longitude: 87º54'21"W)[*]Area 3 (6/1, 4:15p – 6/2, 10:45a CDT)
    (30nm radius from Latitude: 41º52’42”N, Longitude: 87º37'02"W)[*]Area 4 (6/1, 4:15p – 6/2, 10:45a CDT)
    (10nm radius from Latitude: 41º52’42”N, Longitude: 87º37'02"W)[*]Area 5 (6/2, 10:00a – 12:30p CDT)
    (30nm radius from Latitude: 41º58’46”N, Longitude: 87º54'21"W)[*]Area 6 (6/2, 10:00a – 12:30p CDT)
    (10nm radius from Latitude: 41º58’46”N, Longitude: 87º54'21"W)[/list]
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM
mwoytassek

Thanks for the data Mike We were checking the impact. I checked the other contest i could go too in MPLS they have a TFR also. Will see you guys in ST. Charles.
Mark B is coming. So after a couple of contest last year he is planning a few this year so i would say we have a new pattern flyer. Need to get some pictures of your motor mount the second Xigris-PW will have a Advance.

Mark
Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 AM
mups53

Thanks Mark we look forward to having you and thanks for keeping pattern alive and doubling in size in Iowa. Your a great guy. Mike
Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG GET OBAMA THE DUMBASS OUT OF THE WHITE HOUSE HE IS A COMMUNIST PIG!!!!!!!!!!! MITT ROMNEY ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And llindsey 1965......your comment has exactly what to do with the nature of the thread my friend???

If you wish to comment on politics please find another board somewhere to do so......leave sites like RCU and others for the sole purpose of discussing RC related matters
Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh it is ok for silent and the others to say bad things about Romney but dont touch obama ***
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it me or have TFR zones gotten larger over the years? I mean 30 or 32 miles!?! Really!!! What did prior presidents have I wonder.

About a week ago we had a TFR in Des Moines that included towns like Ames and Newton (see link). What kind of threat can a rc airplane pose to the Prez from such a distance?

http://02b954f.netsolhost.com/amatfr13.html

Old 05-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: llindsey1965

oh it is ok for silent and the others to say bad things about Romney but dont touch obama ***

I said nothing bad about anyone. I simply pointed out that the "who" of the President has nothing to do with TFRs. They started right after 9/11. The SS and DHS prevailed upon the FAA to expand the use of them for VIP travel. You probably will not notice them unless you are someplace the President is going. If Romney becomes President then I suspect he will spend time in the new house he is building in La Jolla. There will no doubt be a TFR there when he does. So like I said, the "who" has nothing to do with it. It is the "where" that the President is traveling.

That the FAA includes model airplanes in these things is beyond absurd. The AMA has tried to get them to relax that restriction, but so far the FAA has not shown any willingness to do so.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

I said nothing bad about anyone. I simply pointed out that the ''who'' of the President has nothing to do with TFRs. They started right after 9/11. The SS and DHS prevailed upon the FAA to expand the use of them for VIP travel. You probably will not notice them unless you are someplace the President is going. If Romney becomes President then I suspect he will spend time in the new house he is building in La Jolla. There will no doubt be a TFR there when he does. So like I said, the ''who'' has nothing to do with it. It is the ''where'' that the President is traveling.

That the FAA includes model airplanes in these things is beyond absurd. The AMA has tried to get them to relax that restriction, but so far the FAA has not shown any willingness to do so.
Agreed. I feel this is similar to gun control; only the law-abiding citizens will respect the TFR. If someone is wanting to commit an act of terrorism, breaking a TFR with a model airplane is the least of their concerns (and the least severe of their charges).

Romney gets me about as excited as the keyboard I'm typing this post on does. Obama is the same way. Though I am adding to the conversation, I don't believe this is the proper venue to discuss politics.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't care whether you're for or against anyone in particular.......just think that if you wish to share your political views you should do so on an appropriate board because this post/board sure isn't the right place.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 AM
corch

I agree Bill. D4 and D5 have a large amount of "battleground" states. These NOTAMS will get more frequent the closer we get to the election, and given our short flying season, more contests could be affected.

It seems the St. Charles contest is taking this in stride and I have no doubts it will be a good event. Wish I could be there!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:54 AM
mups53

ORIGINAL: Hinckley Bill

Don't care whether you're for or against anyone in particular.......just think that if you wish to share your political views you should do so on an appropriate board because this post/board sure isn't the right place.
Well stated Bill. It's a TFR it's what we deal with. Big deal. I suggest the 2.5 hours we are shut down tomorrow we use to discuss judging. Help the newbies and eat some good food. I'm OK with it. I too think it's ridiculous but you can't beat city hall. Mike Mueller
Old 06-01-2012, 04:56 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Mike,

Taking that time to do a judging certification might not be a bad idea either if you guys could figure out how to do it in such a short time. All of the info is online, so they aren't as necessary, but at least discussing some of the new maneuvers in FAI and such could be helpful.

Arch
Old 06-01-2012, 05:14 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Ryan Smith
Though I am adding to the conversation, I don't believe this is the proper venue to discuss politics.

Which is the point I have been trying to make. Politics has nothing to do with these absurd TFRs. Republican or Democratic, Conservative or Liberal, it doesn't matter, TFRs will still be there.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:09 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

I said nothing bad about anyone. I simply pointed out that the ''who'' of the President has nothing to do with TFRs. They started right after 9/11. The SS and DHS prevailed upon the FAA to expand the use of them for VIP travel. You probably will not notice them unless you are someplace the President is going. If Romney becomes President then I suspect he will spend time in the new house he is building in La Jolla. There will no doubt be a TFR there when he does. So like I said, the ''who'' has nothing to do with it. It is the ''where'' that the President is traveling.

Actually this nonsense started after 9/11 by a decision of the Bush administration. At the time, it made sense given the hysteria (remember the directions to buy plastic and duct tape?). The strange thing is that being a AOPA member, I get the e-mail way ahead (days) indicting where and when the president will visit... Now, since it was imposed by a Republican administration, it will not be brought down by a Republican administration either. So, do not expect to see this change in 2016 (next chance to have a Republican administration.)

My guess is that we will have to learn to live with it, and thank GeorgeW.

Gerry

Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 AM
cannonball200
My Feedback: (36)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually this nonsense started after 9/11 by a decision of the Bush administration. At the time, it made sense given the hysteria (remember the directions to buy plastic and duct tape?). The strange thing is that being a AOPA member, I get the e-mail way ahead (days) indicting where and when the president will visit... Now, since it was imposed by a Republican administration, it will not be brought down by a Republican administration either. So, do not expect to see this change in 2016 (next chance to have a Republican administration.)

My guess is that we will have to learn to live with it, and thank GeorgeW.

Gerry
You do mean 2012 instead of 2016 I prey!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.