Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

28th WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SOUTH AFRICA 2013

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

28th WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SOUTH AFRICA 2013

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 AM
koelling
My Feedback: (69)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Until TBL refactors the scores though after everyone has flown in front of all 4 judge panels, none of the scores are anything more than raw data. Things WILL change.
Doug, I totally agree. What would be interesting after flying is complete today is to compare the normalized scores after 4 flights to the TBL with normalization scores. This might tell us something about TBL and the scores being thrown out. What I don't know is if a spreadsheet with the raw scores will be posted today (as has been done the last 3 days) or if the officials will only post the TBL corrected and normalized scores after round 4.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:33 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FinnSpeed
Thanks guys for the raw score calculation! I realize this is just speculation but fun nevertheless. Pay attention to Lassi Nurila from Finland who is most probably going to make it to the semis.

By the way, while the Trigantic flight posted above looks good and graceful in many aspects, there are some serious errors as well. The snap roll, spin and stall turn are not good. However, he has been getting pretty high scores...
The snap and the spin are terrible, some judges caught that but none has the bal... to zero it, he has been getting 5 and 6 on some of them. He is truly an innovator and a fabulous designer, he even proved he can make a triplane under 5Kg and still has weight to spare teaching some people "if you want you can". but does not mean all he does is going to be perfect or set a trend, I think there's so much area that the aircraft does not stall in those two maneuvers.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:32 AM
kingconsulting

Thanks Claude! Something new in the pipeline I see.

Robert

Originally Posted by papaone
Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! The snap and spin of the Trigantic are really awful.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Malydilnar
My Feedback: (1)

I thought the spin was great, none of that barrel roll bull crap going on in the states recently
Old 08-21-2013, 08:02 AM
papaone

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello

Flight of CPLR to compare snap and spin !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-96e2KUbzI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUOHZO2A7HdKYMl4677mOZbA
Old 08-21-2013, 08:02 AM
FinnSpeed

The spin was OK otherwise but it did not begin with a proper stall (referring to the Trigantic flight). It looks like he pushed to make the plane dive and then started the spin with rudder and ailerons. Correction: I just watched the video several times (the spin part) and the plane did stall just a bit but did not start spinning from the stall. Mayr then used the controls to start the spin...

In another note: Finland's Lassi Nurila is 10th after the preliminary rounds!

Last edited by FinnSpeed; 08-21-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Quantas

Day 4
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	day4_prelim.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1911169  

Last edited by Quantas; 08-21-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:01 AM
koelling
My Feedback: (69)

Team Point Standings after Prelims:

1 AUT = 30 (7 11 12)
2 JPN = 32 (2 9 21)
3 USA = 36 (8 13 15)
4 GER = 46 (4 19 23)
5 FRA = 48 (1 20 27)

All five of these teams have 3 pilots in the semis, so the team standings may change alot over the next few days. Hopefully USA will fly some killer F sequences during the semi-finals and get three pilots in the finals!!!

Last edited by koelling; 08-21-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Error on GER calculation
Old 08-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Doug Cronkhite

Originally Posted by FinnSpeed
The spin was OK otherwise but it did not begin with a proper stall (referring to the Trigantic flight). It looks like he pushed to make the plane dive and then started the spin with rudder and ailerons. Correction: I just watched the video several times (the spin part) and the plane did stall just a bit but did not start spinning from the stall. Mayr then used the controls to start the spin...

In another note: Finland's Lassi Nurila is 10th after the preliminary rounds!
Mayr's spin never stalls. Sorry, but that airplane was in a spiral dive as evidence by the rate of rotation increasing with every turn. His snap roll was a barrel roll as well. This is something I mentioned I thought might happen when the airplane was first shown in another thread. The airplane looks like it does everything else VERY NICELY though.

CPLR's spin however was VERY good. The airplane stalls, and the rate of rotation is stable. His snap roll was also very good. CPLR's Galatik is a HUGE airplane too. I didn't realize how big until I saw Benoit carry it out to the flight line.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 AM
FinnSpeed

Yeah, you may be right and the more I watch the video I tend to agree that it is a spiral dive and not a spin. However, there is a tiny stall in the beginning (or something that is made to look like a stall) but it does not make the move good since it drops both of the wings equally and the spinning must be forced after that (= spiral dive). Obviously many of the judges did not see all the problems.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Malydilnar

The triplane then needs to have a smaller elevator stab to spin and snap properly
Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 AM
macleote

Originally Posted by koelling
Team Point Standings after Prelims:

1 AUT = 30 (7 11 12)
2 JPN = 32 (2 9 21)
3 USA = 36 (8 13 15)
4 FRA = 48 (1 20 27)
5 GER = 51 (4 23 24)

All five of these teams have 3 pilots in the semis, so the team standings may change alot over the next few days. Hopefully USA will fly some killer F sequences during the semi-finals and get three pilots in the finals!!!
Little mistake: Germany is 4th (4+19+23)=46
Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Doug Cronkhite

Originally Posted by Malydilnar
The triplane then needs to have a smaller elevator stab to spin and snap properly
I disagree. The problem I see is in the overall wing-loading of the airplane. I believe it has too much area to allow the inboard wings to stall properly.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Originally Posted by papaone
Seems like pretty fair handling of the mild breeze....I'm sure everyone noted the wind sock and flags both standing straight out trying to rip themselves apart. Looks like everyone had some pretty horrible conditions today.

Huge differences between the two pilots in the videos, and apparently duly noted in scorecards. I wouldn't want to be either judge nor pilot in those winds.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:59 AM
wattsup

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
Seems like pretty fair handling of the mild breeze....I'm sure everyone noted the wind sock and flags both standing straight out trying to rip themselves apart. Looks like everyone had some pretty horrible conditions today.

Huge differences between the two pilots in the videos, and apparently duly noted in scorecards. I wouldn't want to be either judge nor pilot in those winds.
Hey Bob, that's why CPLR is referred to as "THE MAN"! BTW, would you like to join me in singing that old Monday Night Football song that Don Meredith use to sing years ago?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the day will come when the little black box will cost $50.00 and USB plug into a 'puter for an excel file to
crank out....

"Smoothness" can be quantified.... it is the lack of abruptness right? So smoothness can be measured by the
amount or magnitude of accelerations above and below the accelerations required for the maneuver....

The triplane reminds me of the razers (for shaving) in the US... soon there will be a 4 winger.. then a 5 winger!!

Would the rules restrict a device that initiated a stall, (Like spoilers for example?) for Spins and snaps?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

I watched CPLR's snap at about 3:50 in the video.... in pattern... is a Pitch Departure BEFORE the rotation required?
It looks like the rotation and departure are simultaneous.... Don't get me wrong.. I loved his snaps... but in other aerobatic
genre.. the pitch departure is at times accentuated... or seems so....

(And why hasn't the contra caught on??? seems like eliminating a source of asymetric forces would be a welcome thing no?)
Old 08-21-2013, 12:29 PM
lasers200

Contra has not caught on because it is too expensive and asymetric forces is not a major problem in RC models.

Originally Posted by mithrandir
I watched CPLR's snap at about 3:50 in the video.... in pattern... is a Pitch Departure BEFORE the rotation required?
It looks like the rotation and departure are simultaneous.... Don't get me wrong.. I loved his snaps... but in other aerobatic

(And why hasn't the contra caught on??? seems like eliminating a source of asymetric forces would be a welcome thing no?)
Old 08-21-2013, 12:30 PM
wattsup

Originally Posted by mithrandir

Perhaps you should contact Tony F who flies FAI and lives in your area. Tony helped "write the book" as it relates to setting up and flying several pattern planes equipped a Contra Drive unit. I'm sure he would be more than willing to share his expertise.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM
wattsup

Originally Posted by lasers200
Contra has not caught on because it is too expensive and asymetric forces is not a major problem in RC models.
Oh really? No one told me.................
Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Originally Posted by lasers200
Contra-drives aren't easy nor quiet on IC models. As CPLR flies YS, he won't run it. There are still a lot of people who mimic what CPLR does to minimize the variables, even though the biggest variable is his skill and dedication, which can't be purchased.

Silvestri is flying a Contra and has for many years. There are several pilots who are flying them actually.

Price is a big factor for most people, but availability is another.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Originally Posted by wattsup
Hey Bob, that's why CPLR is referred to as "THE MAN"! BTW, would you like to join me in singing that old Monday Night Football song that Don Meredith use to sing years ago?
It's FAR from over. No need to turn out the lights just yet.

Finals is a brand new contest.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:03 PM
wattsup

It's FAR from over. No need to turn out the lights just yet.

Finals is a brand new contest.
Doug, As usual, you are right but, let's discuss the fine points just prior to "turning the lights out"! OK?
Old 08-21-2013, 02:37 PM
serious power

Contra-drives aren't easy nor quiet on IC models. As CPLR flies YS, he won't run it. There are still a lot of people who mimic what CPLR does to minimize the variables, even though the biggest variable is his skill and dedication, which can't be purchased.

Silvestri is flying a Contra and has for many years. There are several pilots who are flying them actually.

Price is a big factor for most people, but availability is another.
Hi,
In the absence of official data I have put this together ;

27 Semi-finalists.;
YS ; 4
Electric ; 21
Don;t know ; 2

Of the 21 or so Electric I believe 6 are Contra drives.
There are a few more that did not qualify.
If compared to YS at this level I'd say it has if fact caught on.
Furthermore most of the YS's at the WC's are sponsored !!.

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.