Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

28th WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SOUTH AFRICA 2013

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

28th WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP SOUTH AFRICA 2013

Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 AM
n233w

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, being judged is hurtful ;-)

Forgive my inexperience, but it's not immediately apparent to me that going first would be a negative. Is it simply that fresh judges are less willing to ignore errors? Also, aren't there pre-flights at the WC to "warm" the judges up, which in the case of the WC, would make the first contestant look relatively good?

Bill
Old 08-23-2013, 10:16 AM
radray

Looking at the unknowns, where are the 1/2 rolls integrated into the vertical 8, manuever 15, schedule 1; my guess is the cross over but was not sure since I did not see the tick marks? In F3A are competitors allowed to practice unknowns prior to flying them or is that not allowed like in IMAC? Kurt, you really need to start flying F3A! Ray

Last edited by radray; 08-23-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Malydilnar
My Feedback: (1)

The fact that Brett only had 50 flights on the airplane before making the trip to the wc is truly incredible. When I flew at the Nats I only had three flights on mine, but those were just the Nats. Anyone know what airplane Jason and Brett are flying?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 AM
koelling
My Feedback: (69)

Originally Posted by radray
Looking at the unknowns, where are the 1/2 rolls integrated into the vertical 8, manuever 15, schedule 1; my guess is the cross over but was not sure since I did not see the tick marks? In F3A are competitors allowed to practice unknowns prior to flying them or is that not allowed like in IMAC? Kurt, you really need to start flying F3A! Ray
Ray,
Here are the rules from the FAI Sporting Code:
" 5G.6. Finalists may not attempt practice flights of an unknown schedule between its composition and the finals
flights either with a model aircraft or via electronic flight simulator. Evidence of such practice shall bedeemed cheating and shall lead to disqualification from the championships. Hand-held stick models arepermitted.5G.7. In addition to the warm-up flight for the finals known schedule, at least two warm-up flights must bearranged for the unknown schedule. The unknown warm-up flights may be observed by the finalists and
must be judged. Under no circumstances should the flight scores of any warm-up flights be tabulated."

p.s. Would love to start flying some F3A with a pattern plane (need a plane). I do fly through the P and F sequences with my IMAC competition planes, but my plane is not designed to fly on knife edge for 50% of the flight.....
Kurt
Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unknowns
Old 08-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by koelling

Would love to start flying some F3A with a pattern plane (need a plane). I do fly through the P and F sequences with my IMAC competition planes, but my plane is not designed to fly on knife edge for 50% of the flight.....
Kurt
There are a lot of great options out there right now Kurt, and you can expect a lot of 'last season' airplanes to show up for sale around the country and people get new toys. There are a few very good deals here in the RCU Classifieds right now even.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:19 AM
n233w

How many hours/days do the pilots have to get acquainted/memorize the unknowns?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 AM
mwick

As to flying first being a negative, perhaps it's purely a pilot psychology issue. These are competition hardened, experienced pilots but things will crop up that perhaps that they don't even realize. CPLR flew first in his first round of the semi-finals and guess what; he didn't win the round.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM
radray

Kurt, Thanks, I was pretty certain the rules for unknowns were similar for both IMAC and F3A and that makes perfect sense. You do fly that Carden Pro extremely well, and enjoyed watching some of your knife edge manuevers and rolling loops in your freestyle.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM
apereira

Overnight, no practice but practice planes only, and the pilots in the finals fly the unknowns like they flew it 100 times, so it has to be as difficult as possible to get the best.
They are generated by software and seems to be very close to the ones I saw from the same program a year ago.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Doug Cronkhite

Originally Posted by mwick
As to flying first being a negative, perhaps it's purely a pilot psychology issue. These are competition hardened, experienced pilots but things will crop up that perhaps that they don't even realize. CPLR flew first in his first round of the semi-finals and guess what; he didn't win the round.
Most judges have told me the 1st pilot up is at a disadvantage because they subconsciously 'leave room' in scoring in the event a pilot later in the round puts up a better flight. I have always tried VERY HARD when judging to score someone based upon their flying only, and gives scores for what I see, and let the 'better pilot' be decided upon by the people adding everything up on the score sheets.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:40 AM
apereira

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Most judges have told me the 1st pilot up is at a disadvantage because they subconsciously 'leave room' in scoring in the event a pilot later in the round puts up a better flight. I have always tried VERY HARD when judging to score someone based upon their flying only, and gives scores for what I see, and let the 'better pilot' be decided upon by the people adding everything up on the score sheets.
Absolutely agree, when I was a judge in the Continental F3A Open in the finals, I was working with one of the judges currently in SA, I was the scribe in one round and then we switched, I saw maneuvers which were perfect, but he said we never give a 10, I asked why, the answer is 'just in case someone comes and do it better" but the two pilots on top were Jason and Juan Rombaut, they did deserve 10 on some maneuvers, and no one could out-fly this two.

Every pilot should be scored per his flight no matter what or who... the same way I proposed years ago to have points for adverse wind, meaning every 8mph wind award certain points, etc. It is not fair for a pilot like Brett to fly with a 22mph wind then the other top fly with 10mph with the same judge panel, I think this is something very difficult to change, this is why everybody besides been good also needs LUCK!

Well done Jason, Brett and Andrew, some of the best pilots and best friends to have at the field!!

And good luck tomorrow!!!!

Last edited by apereira; 08-23-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM
mwick

Sending good luck, good juju, good karma and whatever else I can think of to Andrew and Jason. If they do well in the finals, as I expect they will, the Team may repeat winning the Gold. The back to back win would be the first since the domination of the USA team from 1975 to 1983.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Doug Cronkhite

I'm hopeful everyone gets the fly in the same conditions, with no equipment issues. Let the flying be the decider. Good luck to all in the finals tomorrow (today there).
Old 08-24-2013, 01:10 AM
Doug Cronkhite

Can't sleep. Hoping to gear how things are going!!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

me too!!

but I am going to bed now!!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:48 AM
TimBle

don't hold your breathe chaps. The website does not even reflect the unknown schedule to be flown today. If I can get an update from one of my pals who are spectating today I'll post. I Would have expected some YOUtube posts of the flights and at least the unknown schedule and pilot draw to be posted. but nothing
Old 08-24-2013, 03:43 AM
Malcolm B

Hi Guys,

info I have heard so far from GBR and OZ sites. Onda made a serious mistake on one of the unknowns. Mayr had tachnnical issue on Unknown and could not start. Shulman put in a very good unknown. CPLR has won first F and unknown. Second F schedule been flown now.

Wish I was there to see it,

Malcolm
Old 08-24-2013, 03:49 AM
FinnSpeed

Any info on how Lassi Nurila did on the unknown 1 he flew as a warm up? He has not been able to report yet.

He almost made it to the finals and left a good number of big names behind. Shulman was just able to get past him by a narrow margin.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:41 AM
koelling
My Feedback: (69)

Sounds like Jesky and Shulman both flew a very strong 1st unknown.
Have not heard anything about the 2nd unknown yet. If they both made it through the 2nd unknown without any zeroes the U.S. team will be in great position.
Personally, I have never liked the finals in any aerobatic competitions to count all of the unknowns with no dropped scores. It puts a lot of pressure on the competitors and leaves no room for mechanical failures. Sounds like Mayr and Onda are both going to suffer from this new rule.
Anyone have a report after the flying was completed today???
Old 08-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Niall

Team Canada have a running commentary on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TeamCanadaF3a2013
Old 08-24-2013, 07:42 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

funny... I'da thought a contest like this would encompass like 15 or twenty rounds.... what was it... like 4 or 5 flights and two flights in the finals??

is that enough to really determine who is better??? or who is more fortunate???

Well.. at least for those in 2nd place and lower.. lol
Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 AM
mwick

10 flights total with 2 unknowns for the finalists
Old 08-24-2013, 07:58 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mithrandir
funny... I'da thought a contest like this would encompass like 15 or twenty rounds.... what was it... like 4 or 5 flights and two flights in the finals??

is that enough to really determine who is better??? or who is more fortunate???

Well.. at least for those in 2nd place and lower.. lol
You must be a sadist--
The finalists , I am certain would notagree with you .
Ever fly contests?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 AM
mwick

1. CPLR
2. Onda
3. Jesky
4. Jason

USA wins the Gold
JPN Silver
AUT Bronze

Last edited by mwick; 08-24-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: to complete team results

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.