Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2012 NATS Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:09 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 NATS Update

The 2012 NATS are quickly approaching and I wanted to send out a final update. Derek Koopowitz has created a site that will be the center for NATS updates. On this site you can get all of your information as well as see the overview of what is going on. You will notice a few things that are slightly different this year. We are going to try a few things and see what happens.

First, for anyone flying Masters, you will notice the flight orders are different than the past. In previous years, the groupings were established and you were stuck flying in front of, or behind the same guy all 6 rounds. This year, we have used the grouping as always, but since each day is a new contest, we combined the two groups on a site that day. This allows guys in their same group to call for each other, without having that person be directly behind them. It also will allow people to follow and be in front of different pilots each day. Your flight order inside your group is essentially unchanged, but there will be someone from the other group between pilots in a group for the most part, except when one group is smaller than the other.

Second, we are going to try something new for the judging of the finals. This is not on that sheet, as we haven't created the finals judges list, but after talking with Earl Haury, our plan is to identify ideally 25+ judges for a pool. This will allow us to have judges for both Masters and FAI, but never having a judge have to judge the same sequence twice. We will use 5 Masters judges, 10 FAI judges, and 2 zero judges for the unknowns. The plan would be that a judge would just 1 round of Masters and 1 round of FAI, either an unknown or a known. Obviously, with only 25 judges and above parameters, a few judges would end up judging a round of Masters, a round of known, and a round of unknown. This will keep people from having to be on the Masters site more than 1 round, and also, help with the problem in the past of guys judging rounds of Masters back to back.

Third, there will be no judges certifcation this year on site. With the ability to do this online, it eliminates the need to have one on site.

Next, you will notice that we are still short judges on Wednesday. If you are willing to step up and judge a second time, please let me know so that we can begin to fill in some of these holes. In previous years, we have had to scramble on site to locate more judges, but we are hopeful that by putting this information out early that a few people will volunteer to fill these slots prior to being on site.

Also, please buy your banquet tickets EARLY. This year, it will be on the AMA site at the McCullough room, which is located adjacent to the museum. It is being catered by Johnny Corrino's and we will have a choice of three different types of pasta as well as salad and a dessert. We will have an open CASH bar on site as well. Banquet tickets will be only $15.00. We will have an open CASH bar on site as well. At the banquet this year, since it is on Wednesday, we will hand out Intermediate, and Advanced awards in front of everyone. FAI, and Masters finalists, will be announced, flight orders drawn, and the unknowns will be handed out to the FAI pilots.

Finally,

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has helped put all this together. I can not thank Scott Smith enough for the job he has done developing a new scoring software which made this all possible. Not only does it continuously keep score for Masters and FAI, even with the Matrix, but it also is capable of creating flight orders, and the judging matrix. This will be an incredibly valuable tool, even on a local level. Scott did all of this purely as a volunteer and I have no idea how many hundreds of hours of his own time he devoted to this. By using his software, as soon as a round is complete, even in Masters and FAI, we can export the file as a .pdf and Pete Cosky will then load it on to the NATS website on the NSRCA page. Our goal is within 30 minutes to 1 hour of the conclusion of flying that the scores will be posted on this site.

OK, now for the disclaimer. This site is still technically not finished. We could have pilots drop out and such, and may need to fill holes. Please use this site as a reference only, and please verify once you are on site that nothing for you has changed. Also, you will notice, as this site is on a public page, that my cell phone and Pete's cell phone are X'd out. On your pilot packages, our numbers will be printed, so anyone needing to reach us once in Muncie will have that opportunity. The site will be fixed very shortly, but registration is NOT open as it says at the top of the page. We created this site before it closed, but registration is CLOSED and no more entries will be accepted.

Here is the link to the site.

http://nsrca.us/index.php/nats2012

Be safe on your travels, and we will see everyone next weekend in Muncie.

Archie Stafford
2012 Pattern NATS Event Director
Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 AM
rcpattern

Default RE: 2012 NATS Update

One other thing to add. All flying will start at 9am this year. A few years ago when Muncie started using Daylight savings time, we never adjusted the start of each round, which meant the first several pilots had to deal with the sun in the box. Starting an hour later, should help the fog burn off as well as get the sun out of the box. With FAI, and Advanced in the morning, we should still finish on time each day.

Archie
Old 07-12-2012, 05:20 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arch, thanks for all the hard work - seriously. Looks great so far! (Though the districts are different? Thought I was D4?)
Very exciting
Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 AM
wildwillie3

Joe,

The distict that you are listed is AMA not NSRCA (but you are District 4 NSRCA)

Just trying to help

Bill
Old 07-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Am I correct in assuming that the judging certification I received at Muncie the first contest of last year (2011) is still current?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 AM
rcpattern

Scott,

You can verify your certification on the NSRCA website. Your certification last year is good for AMA, but not for FAI.

Arch
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet! nice adjustment Arch

Bryan
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08 AM
rcpattern

Keep in mind the information on that website is fluid and subject to change. I have had to adjust a couple of small things, so please continue to check the site through at least the weekend before anything is finalized completely.

Archie
Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 AM
rcpattern

One minor change for those heading to Muncie this week. Check in this year is no longer at the Farmhouse. You will check in Sunday at the AMA headquarters building as soon you come on the site. When you come in the main lobby, the packets will be handed out there.

See everyone this weekend,

Arch
Old 07-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Strat2003

Will AMA set up tents at Site 4 or do we need to bring our canopies?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM
svrcp

Bring you own. Just like any other contest, there's tents for judges and one for site director.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:56 PM
rcpattern

Just don't leave them up at night. Muncie is notorious for overnight storms that turn EZ ups into pretzels.

Arch
Old 08-09-2012, 02:59 AM
Scott Smith
My Feedback: (4)

The final version of the Nat's [link=http://www.nsrca.us/documents/nationals/2012/Equipment%20List.pdf]Equipment List[/link] has been posted.

Thanks to all those providing their info.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:51 AM
budgetdude
My Feedback: (6)

Arch this is a day late and a dollar short but congrats on the win.