Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

D-7 Champs in Bakersfield

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D-7 Champs in Bakersfield

I know its early but the wheels are in motion already. I just got off the phone with Mr. Carter and it looks like the contest is going to be very similiar in nature to the Spring event. Fri. is a full day of seminars and clinics, again open to everyone for free. Team Caglia has decided to make the Friday night dinner at the field something that is going to be the norm and not just a one time thing so plan on Mexican food at the field Fri. evening. Since this is the season final and we need to get as much in as humanly possible we are not going to run the Old School Event but there is going to still be plenty of neat things happening.

We have figured out that the Gee Bee race does not need to be a guessing game as to who does what. Jon had the idea to just attach little colored streamers a couple feet long and that is how to ID the planes. Problem solved first heat wil be Fri. around 5 or 530, and then we will pick up sat. evening again at approx the same time. Kyle volenteered to fly his heli again for us both days at lunch if you guys are up for it. (BTW He is now the 3D Masters World Champion as of last month)

We will run the lines the same as last time but now we will have pre printed flight orders for every round with arrows by your name pointing to either the left or right so there will be no confusion. Sportsman pilots will fly the full routine this time, and I think that just about covers the changes. Oh yeah Masters and FAI (Top 3) in each class will be flying an Unknown pattern that is going to be a contest in and of itself. This is one round for experience and a good time. Sat. evening the top 5 in each class will take home the unknowns already written out just like the guys started doing at the early TOC's. The patterns will not be stump the chump type, but more like slight variations on the existing pattern. (Except FAI) I hope the 4th and 5th place guys wont mind judging it shouldn't take more then 20 min per class.

I am sure we will have a cool prize for each class and I believe this is going to become a perpetual deal so that will be cool as well to keep the trophy a year at a time. The field has really gone through some changes in just this past week and it really looks great. As far as the club is concerned make yourselves at home and please respect the rules. No alcohol until your done flying for the day and dogs need to be on leashes.

Thats about it for me as Jon is the CD and I believe he will post shortley to follow up on few things.

C

Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Surefire
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: D-7 Champs in Bakersfield

To all D7 pilots - As Chip said I think we can have a lot of fun and make this a very memorable District Championship! I think getting together on Friday for some trimming and practice is great and having Team Caglia do an awesome dinner at the field will be fun. I do think the concept of flying a round of Unknowns in FAI and Masters will be entertaining for the pilots and those of us who will get to watch! This will be a separate event and not count towards the season championship points but will have it's own prizes. (Something fun!) While the main focus is on our district championship for the AMA classes I believe we will have some time for a little GB fun. I know I will have mine with me! I thought that Kyle's heli demo was fantastic and I for one would love to see another! We are continuing to work out the details so please stay tuned.

Thanks,
Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 AM
desertrider49
My Feedback: (5)

I arrived at the Spring Bash first thing Friday morning and TonyF was gracious enough to trim my plane which took three flights, even made a thrust change. But, by the time all that was done the lines were so long I wasn't able to get in another flight. My suggestion is to have a "priority line" for those of us in the lower classes who want and/or need extra help.

Regards,
Randy
Old 08-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Surefire

Randy - Good idea. I think we can add a little "organization" to Friday to make that happen.

Thanks,
Old 08-03-2012, 03:14 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

While I think the GB racing is fun and a good addition to a regular contest, I don't think it's a good idea at the Districts. People are going to want to be practice flying all the way until dark on Friday and Saturday evening. I think it should be skipped during the District Champs.

Also, I think during the Districts every attempt at getting in the full 6 rounds should be done. If there is any chance that a demo or a stop in flying will then make getting in the 6 rounds tough, it should be skipped. Again, during a regular contest, fine, but not the District Championships.

Unknowns sound like fun. But they will add 1 to 1.5 hours to the conclusion of the contest. 3 F3A pilots and 3 Masters means at least an hour. Then the calibration of the scores.

Since the club has decided to start enforcing rules that it previously did not, and since the lease requires no smoking or fires on the property, can I assume that there will be no smoking at the field during the event? I hope so. Barkley just can't stand those nasty smokers! vbg
Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Passport1

oops LOL This time I caught myself before hand. (Learning has occured)

While I think the GB racing is fun and a good addition to a regular contest, I don't think it's a good idea at the Districts. People are going to want to be practice flying all the way until dark on Friday and Saturday evening. I think it should be skipped during the District Champs.

The field will close on Fri and Sat. when the sun makes it dangerous to fly (its only about an hour where the glare gets really bad normally around 5) as we don't want an otherwise fun time to be spoiled for anyone due to a mishap. We already had a top pilot earlier in the year get totally disorientated in the stall turn and pulled out heading toward the road, that was scary. So the GEE BEE's will have no problem not to mention they are a blast to watch for everyone.

If there is any chance that a demo or a stop in flying will then make getting in the 6 rounds tough, it should be skipped. Again, during a regular contest, fine, but not the District Championships

Kyles demo will also only please all of us especially the club members and it will happen between the rounds that are closest to noon for a total of 6-7 minutes. Most evey one will be enjoying a quick lunch Catered by our good buddy Jamie like last time. (this time it will be the chicken no mix ups I promise) Think of it as dinner and a show

Unknowns sound like fun. But they will add 1 to 1.5 hours to the conclusion of the contest. 3 F3A pilots and 3 Masters means at least an hour. Then the calibration of the scores.

As for the Unknowns maybe that was annouced a little early. I will get on the phone this weekend and start making some calls. Jerry and Chris if you guys could shoot me a pm with your numbers that would be great. I have everyone elses I do believe. It was awesome talking to Jon about giving the Unknown thing a shot because I don't think its ever been done in Masters to date. I mean noone is being pressured or forced to do anything and if the guys that are good enough to make it that day want to try it, then hey why not. Matt, Mike, and Myself will gladley work with whoever would like to learn some of our techniques and by the end after a successful flight, I bet you will feel a real since of accomplishment. I still do even when I make a mistake or two, because I know inside at least I gave it my best. Not to mention clearing that hurdle of doing something that you were always maybe just a little unsure of. Trust me it turns into fly by caller, the pilots job is far easier.

Since the club has decided to start enforcing rules that it previously did not, and since the lease requires no smoking or fires on the property, can I assume that there will be no smoking at the field during the event? I hope so. Barkley just can't stand those nasty smokers! vbg

What a coincidense, I was already thinking I should just quit cold turkey that same weekend! twlvg8ge

Now on to a very valid point that we overlooked back in April. Absolutely we will have something in place for the guys that are getting some pointers and need to get more flights in Fri. Thanks for bringing that up Randy

Of course things will be eliminated in the interest of getting all the important stuff in. Jon, the club, and everyone involved know how important it is. This is not the first dance for any of these guys. The little bonuses have been thought out and scheduled in order to make use of the time we would all be just sitting around waiting. Not to mention without old school added to the mix we open up a minimum of 3.5 to 4 more hours.

ORIGINAL: TonyF

Also, I think during the Districts every attempt at getting in the full 6 rounds should be done. If there is any chance that a demo or a stop in flying will then make getting in the 6 rounds tough, it should be skipped. Again, during a regular contest, fine, but not the District Championships.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I know at the April meet there were several pilots on Friday and on Saturday that were still practice flying when I closed the field for the GB racing. They didn't seem all that happy about it. Despite where the sun is there will be many trying to get in either trimming or practice when you decide to close the field for GB's. I just don't think that is right for the District Championships. Probably won't be me because as you mentioned, with my old eyes I'd probably lose it in the stall turn again. That was scary for me too! And totally embarrassing. Just part of getting old and having cataracts developing in your eyes. Be careful, it might happen to you too. But thanks for calling me a top pilot! I really haven't been one of those for a long time.

I loved Kyle's demo at the April meet. He's a mind blowing pilot. And if that's all the demo flying it will probably work. At the April meet there were additional demos that took more time. They were great then but I think at the District Champs the concentration should be to get in all the rounds. But then again, maybe the majority feel differently.

My point about the Unknowns is that it will delay everyone leaving by about an hour and a half. If everyone is fine with that, not just the ones who would like to fly the Unknowns, then fine, go for it. Another point, if I was going to do Unknowns, I would do two rounds for F3A and no Masters. In F3A Unknowns are part of the event. They are not a part of the AMA classes. At least yet. It would seem appropriate at the District Champs to fly them for F3A, even to include them in the overall scoring. I even suggested that to Jon a while back. Now that would make it a lot more interesting!

I'm glad to hear that there is no smoking at the BMF field now. Puts it in line with the county lease. We surely wouldn't want to be doing anything that might cause the loss of the field. Barkley can now rest easy on his leash!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 AM
bandagbilly

I wan't able to make it to the event in Arvin in April (was on vacation in Wash DC meeting with the Pres. -just kidding), but it sounded like a great event - Thanks Chip. However, I am going to have to go along with Tony on this one - the Dist Champs has always been a special event for me and one I have not missed in a long time. But I think the point of it is as stated - a Dist Championship. Now I'm not against any othe activity to bring in fun and variety to the event, but if it means losing a round (and we all know that the weather is never predictable enough to count on), then I say we forgo the extracurricular activities in leu of completing a full 6 round contest. ( besides it it is going to take me at least 6 rounds to ever have a chance of beating Carter). And as far as the unknowns go - again I have to agree with Tony - fine for FAI - that is part of their program anyway, but to introduce it at the Championships for Masters is not the right venue. Maybe at one of the other contests would be better - there is already enough additional pressure at the Championships. So bring on the helicopter - GBees - whatever, just give me my full contest. Of course, what do I know!!

Bill...
Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Surefire

Guys - I totally understand and agree, this is the District 7 Season Championships! Weather permitting, we WILL fly six rounds of all AMA/FAI pattern classes! That being said, I do think it is possible to fit some fun in around the edges. The contest format for the season championships is, just like last year, all AMA classes will be the best 4 out of 6 rounds flown. FAI will be the best 3 out of 4 P Sequence and the best 1 out of 2 F Sequence. The unknowns, if we do them, will be for a totally separate small prize.

I do think we can fit a few fun things in around the event. [8D]I will be asking some questions on the NSRCA D7 list starting tomorrow so please give me your feedback there.

Thanks,
Old 08-05-2012, 03:45 PM
SanJoseDale

Time permitting, I would love to do the unknown, for Masters.

Dale
Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: dolstinske

Time permitting, I would love to do the unknown, for Masters.

Dale
Time permitting Dale I think most of the guys would as well, but the voice of one can ruin things for so many. At this point I have realized what the problem is with these ideas so I am going to back away from this event to focus all of my time and effort into the Bakersfield Spring Invitational Bash. BTW I never spoke on the clubs behalf as far as smoking at the field I just said I wouldn't. People that do things like that are liable to put themselves on the outs with the club as well as all involved.

Sorry I ever brought any of this up.

C
Old 08-05-2012, 08:29 PM
aerobear
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Passport1

......focus all of my time and effort into the Bakersfield Spring Invitational Bash.....
Invitational?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:28 PM
desertrider49

ORIGINAL: Surefire

[8D]I will be asking some questions on the NSRCA D7 list starting tomorrow so please give me your feedback there.

Thanks,

Cannot find the questions, please be more specific where they can be found.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Surefire

Randy - I posted them to the NSRCA District 7 discussion list. If you are not on that list let me know and I will get them to you directly.

Thanks,
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
desertrider49

I guess I'm not on that list. Found it....subscribed.

Thanks
Randy
Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 AM
n233w

Jon,

Please let me know how I can see these questions - not on such list to my knowledge. Would like to know how to join.

Bill Polits

ORIGINAL: Surefire

Randy - I posted them to the NSRCA District 7 discussion list. If you are not on that list let me know and I will get them to you directly.

Thanks,
Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM
desertrider49

Bill
I joined this morning, here's how I did it.

First go to the NSRCA website
On the home page there are pull downs across the top, the last one is the site map pull down
click on that one and it will go to the next page, in the main menu, third from the bottom is the e-mail discussions list
open it and follow the instructions....give e-mail address and a password...it only takes a few minutes to be able to access the list

Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 AM
n233w

Thanks, desert! I subscribed.

ORIGINAL: desertrider49

Bill
I joined this morning, here's how I did it.

First go to the NSRCA website
On the home page there are pull downs across the top, the last one is the site map pull down
click on that one and it will go to the next page, in the main menu, third from the bottom is the e-mail discussions list
open it and follow the instructions....give e-mail address and a password...it only takes a few minutes to be able to access the list

Old 08-08-2012, 09:54 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never knew there was an email list, thanks.
Chris...
Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 AM
desertrider49

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

I never knew there was an email list, thanks.
Chris...

I think there's a conspiracy afoot by the veterans to keep us beginners held down, Mr. Carter might be in trouble for letting the secret out, if he shows up at Mira Mar we'll have to check him out for evidence of torture by his fellow establishment goons.......LOL

Chris, haven't seen you in a while, are you going to Mira Mar ?

Randy
Old 08-09-2012, 12:05 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Randy,

I thought about it, but my son is visiting this weekend and it's his 16th birthday so it wasn't going to fit in. Were going to fly models at Fairview Park (Costa Mesa Cliffs) because our usual event, The Big Jolt, is cancelled. I bought him a new flying wing so he'll have fun.

Will try the last three contests, miss flying with you guys.

Chris...
Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I personally think there is time for fun at other contests. I don't think some understand needing the time to perhaps trim, or practice till dark 30 unless you are perhaps in second or third place. Heck, even if you are in last, but you want to finish second to last. That counts just as much in my book. Seeing as the nats is so far from our district, not many go. This is our nats. Would you do other stuff at the nats? No. Not even if the sun was in your face. You would still fly. I know I would. Some may not get there till late on Friday and need those last flights before dark.

That being said, I am all for having Unknowns at next years Arvin contest, or other stuff also. Arvin was a lot of fun this season!

Now I am one that will probably need that last flight of the day as I will be hopefully have a new plane and be trimming. lol. So maybe my vote shouldn't count. lol

Chris
Old 08-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

I personally think there is time for fun at other contests. I don't think some understand needing the time to perhaps trim, or practice till dark 30 unless you are perhaps in second or third place. Heck, even if you are in last, but you want to finish second to last. That counts just as much in my book. Seeing as the nats is so far from our district, not many go. This is our nats. Would you do other stuff at the nats? No. Not even if the sun was in your face. You would still fly. I know I would. Some may not get there till late on Friday and need those last flights before dark.

That being said, I am all for having Unknowns at next years Arvin contest, or other stuff also. Arvin was a lot of fun this season!

Now I am one that will probably need that last flight of the day as I will be hopefully have a new plane and be trimming. lol. So maybe my vote shouldn't count. lol

Chris
Chris dont worry we will include the unknowns at another time. As far as the Gee Bee Racing we have a solution for that as well. We will make a gee bee runway over by the CL circle and not far from the new hanger, therefore the runway will be open all the time.

C
Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I look forward to flying an unknown at hopefully a few contests in the future honestly. I think it would be a lot of fun and probably make us better pilots. I could see the spring Bakersfield contest becoming a large 3-4 day contest in the future with many pilots from all over coming in to have fun.

Now I gotta figure out how to get a Gee Bee to fly Mode 4! haha Or perhaps get something similar that I can put a receiver in.

C