Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ys175

ys175

Greetings, I'm new to the forum and am looking to get a ys motor, and have a question.

I'm looking at the YS 175 and can't decide whether to get the glow or cdi version. Hoping to get some info on pros and cons of each.

Would wildcat 20% heli be ok? It's 18% synthetic oil and available locally.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ys175

Stay with Glow if you are new to YS .. Ignition works well but you need to know what your doing to keep it running at optimum performance its not for the newbie. Gain experience then go with the ignition if you like.. Find someone to learn from locally if you can.

Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As for the fuel I would recommend using 30% Heli from Morgan Fuels. I tried using 30% wildcat a long time ago and after 15 or so flights the engine wouldnt crank. If the motor did end up cranking it would idle for a few seconds then quit. I decided to go back to Morgan Fuels 30% Heli and all this black gunk came out the muffler and started running again. My problem may or may not have been fuel but I know what works now. I do know that Brett Wickizer is having great success with the Low smoke 30% heli too.

Either glow or CDI will give you great performance.

I personally have run a glow plug and CDI back to back and IMHO I really couldnt tell much of a difference in performance. what I really love about the CDI is that you can fly two full sequences at least on a tank of fuel, So it will give you more stick time.

Chris Odom ;Custom Airframes of America ; Team Airtronics; Team Cool Power; Team YS Parts and Services

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Plankman,

Yes, you can run 20% on the 175, but with lower Nitro the CDI will increase the reliability, also and to agree with Cris, all engines running CoolPower will look like new on the inside with 300+ flights, the CDI gives about 20% more flying time compared to Glow.

The CDI eliminates the backfiring problems of the glow version, so you will be saving close to $100 in a delayed glow driver.

I ran Wildcat YS20/20 years ago, before I changed from the 120AC. I ran PowerMaster for years on the 160 and up, awesome fuel, as good as Morgan's. Also used Byrons Gen @ in competition and ran as well as the other two, but cannot tell about long term use.

Regards

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Or you could leave most of the uncertainties and go Electric.

Just a thought for a newbie.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh, no, not another YS vs Electric debate![X(]

Lazer, I'm on your side in this one, but let's let the YS guys have a discussion without trying to win new converts! Statistically we're doing pretty well already!
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry. Just can't help but rub it in. Sorry I did it again.
    I will say that when Brett Wickizer flys his YS powered bi-plane at our field, his plane reminds me of a drag car with a big cam that makes it rock the wings as he taxi's it to take off. He has plenty of power!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw Brett fly the Alferma in one of the Unknowns at the Nats and he is certainly one of the greats, and such a talented young man will go far - beyond what he has accomplished already!

Regardless of power plant.
    Bob

Not interested in electric. I think I'll pick up the cdi. I like the fuel economy you seem to be getting from it.

Anyone tried the ibec from tech aero, seems like it would be useful.

Follow up question: I'm thinking 2 cell lipo rx pak into tech aero rx switch and reg, then ibec to ignition. No problem with running a regulator on top of a regulator?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you're new to YS, I suggest you get a 175 cdi but run it with a glow plug to get used to the motor. I have been running the 170 cdi since 2009 & the 175 cdi before the end of last year, and here are my observations. The cdi does have the advantages of saving more fuel, better mid range transition & slightly better top end. However, you will be dealing with the following:-

1) Weight - about 100g

2) Spark plug - you need to check the gap about every 40 to 50 flights or once it started to misfire. I suggest using either a Rimfire VR-2 or a NGK ME-8, instead of the stock YS plug. If you're using the YS plug, be sure to file the tip of the electrode to a slightly pointed shape

3) Spark plug cap - can get loose, or the rubber insert inside the cap can get brittle causing it to misfire. Also, be sure to zip tie the cap wire so it will not be flopping around during throttle advancement

4) cdi box - can be an issue sometime

5) Runs hotter than the non cdi version - make sure you have good ventilation on your bellypan or nose pan with large enough entry & exit holes, plus gluing some foam on the nose section to force cold air directly at the pump, the valve cover & the crankcase fins

The reason why the cdi gives such good mileage & smooth transition is because the cdi unit keeps monitoring & changing the timing of the engine. Therefore, it almost always fire at the Top Dead Center, leading to more efficient run than the non cdi version. In addition, you can run the engine much leaner. Normally, my non cdi runs at 1-3/4 to 2 turns on the high needle, but with the cdi, you lean it down to about 1 turn. However, with the engine running so lean, it makes the cdi version runs hotter than the normal version. Also, the needle adjustment is much more sensitive, one to two clicks more can cause the engine to run lean. You need to get used to the power delivery, & recognize when the engine is running lean so you can richen the needle.

As mentioned earlier, you can run the cdi with a glow plug first, just open the needle more. After you've completely understands on how the needle & the pump operates, than you can add the cdi unit.

If you have any additional question, feel free to post or PM me.

Good luck,

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello

The advantage of cdi is the possibility of using fuel with little oil, the plane remains very clean. I use 9% oil (25% nitro).
    The 175 uses a little more fuel. With 680 cc, 170 cdi flight last about 20 minutes, 175 cdi 15 minutes.
    When I go to field with friends spend the day, I take my 5 liter and can do many flights.

Engine cooling is very important.
    I made a change on my underbelly as shown on pics (before and after) and gain is about 20 degrees
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85316.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1791825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je10207.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	1791826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz69882.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	1791827  

Wow, thank you for all this information and pictures.

If I run the cdi motor on a glow plug, will the plug be pretty far into the head? Spark plug looks longer and parts list different heads for each motor, so I'm wondering how long a glow plug ignitor I'd need. Also my ignitor doesn't have the delay. I like this idea.

Are the plug caps available seperately or would you have to purchase a new ignition box when they wear out? Didn't see a part number for just the cap.

Last ys I had was the 140fz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

>> I'm wondering how long a glow plug ignitor I'd need

Go to Sonic Tronics & get this power cord along with the 3.5" plug lock & you will be all set - http://sonictronics.com/xcart/produc...cat=332&page=1

>> my ignitor doesn't have the delay

A glow driver with a time delay is a must, it will save you a cam gear, a crank and/ or a bent valve in a long run. Don't ask me how I found out ... . I'm using a Japanese one, but the RCATS from Central will do the job nicely - http://www.centralhobbies.com/glow/g...prodriver.html

>> Are the plug caps available seperately or would you have to purchase a new ignition box when they wear out?

Unfortunately, once the cap is broken or worn out, you have to buy the whole ignition box. Unless, you know how to solder aluminum. However, with the 175, YS has pre-drilled two holes on the head right next to the connecting cap & supply you with two small allen head screw to stabilize the cap. Therefore, as long as you're using a zip tide to further stabilize the wire, you should not have much problem.

>> Last ys I had was the 140fz

The FZ has a pressurized system. Starting with the 140DZ, the engine has a fuel pump. The reason why you need a delay glow driver is once the prop is turning, it pumps fuel into the engine. Therefore, can easily flood the engine during start up. You want to spin the engine first before the plug lights up.

The way to start a DZ is NOT to use a starter to prime the engine, even for the first start of the day. Use your hand to turn the engine over with complete revolution - for about 6 turns, then, rock the spinner cone back & forth for another 6 to 7 times to further activate the pump. Connect your glow driver, push the on button - I usually adjust mine to 5 seconds delay - start the engine with the starter. Basically, you want to get the motor spinning before the glow driver kicks in, thus eliminates the back fire during start up. In addition, I usually let the starter spin for another 2 to 3 seconds even after the engine is started to ensure it is indeed started, nothing is more damaging than having a dry engine to stop abruptly when the starter is off, especially on the first start of the day. Be sure not to prime your engine again before subsequent flights, & always use a fuel clamp to stop the fuel from getting into the engine after landing, to prevent flooding again. After you're ready for installation, I can send you some pix.

Be careful when you're priming a cdi, be sure not to turn the prop with ignition on. Otherwise, you may kiss a few of your digits goodbye.

Adrian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, I also fly at Georgetown, where Brett used to practice. I've never seen the wings shake while taxing since Brett always carries the Euphoria to the runway and later kills the engine instead of taxing back.

I confess that I use a YS170 DZ with CDI. From time to time I have some problems but I like the engine anyway. In response to Plakman, I use a Thunder Power 1900 Ma Li-po, 7.4V with a Digi-switch with regulation to 5.7V. With this set up I normally make 3-10' flights and recharge it. It always shows about 700-800 Ma of capacity used.
    If you get a used engine, it'll be easier to find a 170, but if you buy new go for the 175 since this engine has a few improvements over the 170.
    Good luck with any choice.
    Rene

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: plankman

Not interested in electric.** I think I'll pick up the cdi.* I like the fuel economy you seem to be getting from it.

Anyone tried the ibec from tech aero, seems like it would be useful.*

Follow up question:** I'm thinking 2 cell lipo rx pak into tech aero rx switch and reg, then ibec to ignition.* No problem with running a regulator on top of a regulator?

I ran these on my YS cdi motors and they worked great. Very nice.

Arch
    Team Futaba, Aero-Model / Hacker, Tech Aero Designs, F3A Unlimited, Team BJ Craft, Thunder Power RC, Castle Creations

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Plankman

How to fix the plug cap :

Name:	Ki19882.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	1791867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av68576.jpg 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	1791868  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have used the RCATS with great success, not a single glitch, but I am using the Hobbico head not the DuBro, the DUBro failed after a few starts, the Hobico works great.

I use a separate regulator for Rx and for CDI, on the CDI I use a Shullman regulator with a switch, it is actually lighter to my previous Duralite setup, I am going to try the Emcotec unit now, also the Powerbox Ignition sw, in any case I use a TunderPower 900mAh batt, it last for five flights before recharge and that leaves about 40% battery remaining.

Plankman, the way the 175 comes adjusted from the factory will get you going right out of the box, the engine will start getting richer after some 6 flights, then you will have to lean it, depending on many factors, the pump up to a 1/4 turn and the needle valve about the same.

As Adrian points out, the most difficult part is to recognize when the engine is lean or rich, watch for the smoke trail, the engine should smoke in all conditions, and I will sugest to stay in high oil content, it makes the engine run better and it is easier to set up using the smoke as reference.

The cooling is very important, use foam as papaone does on his cowling, but you can also use foam on the sides of the engines.

I secured my headcap with a ty-rap with the intake transfer tube and never had a single one fail, I install it very tight and it can not move, as per the instructions, there are now two two set screws which help improve the fit, anyway I still use the ty-rap.

Regards

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I watched the ys flyers at the nats and this last weekend at one of our local contests. I'm impressed by these motors. Being as they were parked beside me in the pits got to talking with a couple of them and their setups. 170's on glow. One guy was running an 18x10 on wildcat 4 stroke fuel. Thought it was a little under propped, but the power in the air was amazing. Other guy was running 30% cool power. Looked to be easy starting and the vibrations at idle looked good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Plankman

As told by Apereira :
    "The cooling is very important, use foam as papaone does on his cowling, but you can also use foam on the sides of the engines "
    Claude

Name:	Mk25683.jpg 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	1791931  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Electric????[X(]
    Appliances are electric[:-]
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ZHi where can I get one of this plug holders please

Regards

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Defenitely go with the cdi. I am currently running the 170cdi in my 2 Valiants. I have 175 cdi's ready to go in when i get time. With the cdi my idle is about 1600 rpm. With glow plug it is about 2300rpm.
    Fuel usage would be about 1/2 to 5/8 compared to glow (depending on wind).
    I use 30% nitro, 10% low viscosity Coolpower oil and 1% castor oil. You need to keep the plug gap on the tight side to prevent the engine from misfiring.
    You also need to be carefull when adjusting the needle, as you get very little warning if you get to lean. On 30% nitro my needle is approximately 5/8 of a turn out.
    I have run mine with a glow plug without any trouble. Top end rpm seems to be similar, but the cdi gives much better mid range power. Don't need to use full throttle. I also had to richen the mixture to 1 1/2 turns out.
    For the ignition i am using the Aero Tech IBEC plugged directly into the Rx. Works brilliantly, no interference at all.

Scott
    There is no such thing as too much power.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the engine has to spin at a certain number of rpm before the cdi will fire. (typical of most cdi units these days). Turning over by hand slowly won't be fast enough. But it's good practise not to tun over by hand with the ignition on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Papaone,

I noticed in your photos you run a velocity stack. Is there a performance gain with this or some other reason for the velocity stack?

Scott

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: drac1

I think the engine has to spin at a certain number of rpm before the cdi will fire. (typical of most cdi units these days). Turning over by hand slowly won't be fast enough. But it's good practise not to tun over by hand with the ignition on.

The cdi will fire if you turn it over by hand, so you should never turn it over with the ignition on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast