Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

pattern plane recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 10:58 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pattern plane recommendations

I have never flow pattern but I have a 46 with a tuner pipe, and a OS-160; can you all give me some recs. toward two pattern planes for these motors? thanks
Old 04-21-2002, 11:26 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zen 50 for the 46FX Flown these excellent aircraft.
Hirobo Stream 50 another superb aircraft.
Tracer by Great planes for the 46 as well. Tracks very nice building is easy Change gear to Fixed just at the leading edge.

Kaos by Bridi always superb for a pattern trainer. Will always be right up there in the Pattern trainer realm excellent aircraft.

the 1.60 well may be a little overpowered but you'll have great vertical. Znline ALLIANCE GFK Classic
http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/products/kits/znline.php

Zen 1.40 still with the 1.60 a little over powered but you should be ok.

World Models Tai JI F3A but just to darn expensive. $2000.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:41 PM
KNIFE BROTHER

The Focus from Piedmont models would be an excellent plane for the 1.60 FX. The latest RCM has a review of this plane with that motor. You can get more info at www.piedmontmodels.com. This ARF was flown with great succes at the last NATS. I believe Kirk Gray finished 2nd in F3A with it.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:50 PM
rpsmithii

And as Knife Brother will attest - the Kyosho Majestic 1400 will do quite nicely on the 46FX.

See interesting info here:

http://www.rcaerosport.com/

Look under reviews.

Great 46 sized plane for the money.
Old 04-21-2002, 11:58 PM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

The SPECTRUM by HOBBICO is a good PATTERN beginning plane as is the GLOBAL AVENGER
I'm flying a THUNDER TIGER PRO 46 with a tuned pipe in the SPECTRUM and an OS 70 4 stroke in the AVENGER.

Both are fun fly on "RAILS" type fliers.
GLOBAL also has a new one out,the "VANCE" I've heard good things about it also.
The "ZEN" I haven't owned but never heard bad! ( It is expensive) and the BRIDI "KAOS" is another great one in kit form.
I have one friend who won't be without one. If he dumps one he builds another!
And there is also others.

RON in NEVADA
Old 04-22-2002, 12:17 AM
Scorpionjack

Forgot about the Focus KB; Thanks.
I have the Majestic and fly it on a YS 63. Superb aircraft mostly just fly it 3D with a YS 53 or the 63 it wold make a nice F3A practice aircraft. 46FX not sure. KB how's the vertical with the 46FX?

The Spectrum is ok but has a very weak landing gear. Change it too, by sealing the retracts and putting a front mounted gear just at the Leading edge of the wing and it will be even better.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:23 AM
jon595
My Feedback: (2)

Default pattern plane

Go for the Zen 50, mine had a Saito .56 fourstroke. It had constant speed and good handling just like the bigger planes. And for the price you cannot beat it. Realyy enjoyed watching that freestyle exhibition put on by Naruke that day last month.

Take care,
Jon
Old 04-22-2002, 01:56 PM
Aresti-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I am currently working on a Hirobo Steam 50. The plane screams for a 4-stroke (YS 63!). It looks like a miniature F3A plane: fiberglass cowling, pipe tunnel, soft mount, retracts, etc. (All included in the kit!). To complete the looks you will to add a Hatori header and pipe. You could use a two stroke, but the openings in the cowling will look terrible. According to the instructions, the OS 52 with flex pipe is another option.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:03 PM
robert

For the 46, I saw a cuban forty that was perfect for this engine. Its in an article and I will dig it up for you if you want. Its an ARC, but none of the c*** you can get. I think its designed for the 46FX and pipe. The Zens are also good, and EZ have released an Alliance, for around that range. Not sure what exactly what engine size though.
For the 160, anything you want really. Check out the www.znline.com or www.plprod.com
They are the main manufacturers around now, although there are alot more.
Hope this helps,
Robert.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:17 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out http://www.bridiradiocontrol.com. The giant Chaos and Dirty Birdy look like good choices for that 1.6. Bridi Kits are great quality as well as value. You don't get die crunched or lazer burned parts. Instead you get cut and sanded parts that are ready to be glued as is.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:28 PM
3DRC
My Feedback: (3)

Krazy???? Don't do it.... You can't be serious..... No!....

They don't use gas and they can't 3D...... Don't let them sway you.....

Bean
Old 04-22-2002, 11:48 PM
krayzc-RCU

Default gettting closer

3DRC,
It kind of like G-2 and your beginning I have flown hellos on g-2 but never in real life. You and I know those edge are so easy to 3D. Over here in Japan all are flying pattern planes or trainers, about 10-12 flyers. I am on a kick to win me a trophy they are having a contest over here in Oct 2002, I leave out of here headed back to NC in Dec 2002. Then I will have my hands back on that AW 29% Edge and of course I will have ordered that 40% Radio Craft 330 with a DA on cans ( I know a Harley should sound like a Harley) he he, I just don't want to be the one who cause up to loose our field, as I usually get in 2-3 flight 4-6 times a week in NC, that edge of mine was noisy as all until 10 flights later I went to a J & H peacekeeper, man was it annoying to me while I was trying to adjust all that is needed to be adjust on a new bird.

Jon hope all is well in Cali for you it was good to see you in Japan last month maybe some of the other flyers will come visit over this way before I leave. If not, I will see Bean and the rest of the gang at the show he does in AL next year.

right now the crowd say go for the Zen 50, someone said the majestic alone the global freestylewill do some 3d. I need have a decsion by this week so i can have the bird waiting for me when i get back from 2 weeks in Hawaii with main squeeze.........
Old 04-23-2002, 12:08 AM
Scorpionjack

Krazy;
Where in Japan I just came back from Okinawa. Kadena!
Old 04-23-2002, 01:01 AM
krayzc-RCU

Scorpionjack

i am on Kinser; I hope the new place you are located doesn't always have the12-25 MPH wind that we always have over here. You know how it makes the flyers look that don't fly the rudder like they arer flying the cox planes on the string he he.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:44 AM
Scorpionjack

KC,
Nah! Predominant 15 Mph. Just had snow this week darn can't do diddly! But I have been building and flew a few in the front yard the other day. Have you met up with the guys at Tori? They fly all the time. Also Yomitan except dodging cars when they come down the road.
Email me normal I started a F3A competition there at Futenma years ago and the guys just had another one.
Great bunch a guys but they are novices and they only use what The locals use no originality. I did the same thing flying a Tai Ji with a YS 120. The Zen's are all good aircraft as are the Tai Ji and all that have been mentioned thus far. Majestic, Stream 50 etc. are all excelent as well. You'll find the one that fit's you. As for 3DRC's comment when you can hover your Pattern plane/Torque Roll it as well with the Majestic/Stream Hyper/G-Trick 90 do any of the 3D maneuvers as well as F3A pattern then bring your little Funfly's along for the ride. : ) Precision with Attitude : )
Old 04-23-2002, 04:30 AM
Planeboy P51

Hmmm I'd say the Bridi Kaos is a fine flyin plane. It's my third plane. Plenty light for the size. I got the prebuilt and picked it up cuz I'm with in an hour and a half drive of his shop. Got it at Thanksgiving, flew it a month ago! Long turnaround but I was deciding on the power plant. Got the Saito .72 first, would have been fine, but then scorpionjack got me excited about a YS 63, but then I got a good deal on an OS 91 FX. So I'm really happy now with a 6 pound plane with some balls! Goes up vertical at half throttle, with over a 2:1! Not really flyin it like a pattern plane right now but I'll get to that, I'm just having a blast with this plane!
Old 04-23-2002, 05:26 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Default For the OS1.60

Any ZNLine F3A ship from the Caprise and newer would be incredible. Try the Majestic (highly modified Caprise) for F3A/3D. The drawback...hard to get in the USA.

After I started flying my ZN Majestic, I decided to sell everything else.

Another good airplane in that catagory is the Funtana (available in the USA from Desert Aircraft) or the Excellence from PLProd.

For the smaller motor, too many good possibilities. Kyosho Majestic or Sensation. Hirobo Stream. EZ Hydeaway (cutest of the bunch). About 50 other that I have heard about.

Mark

PS: If you are in Japan, Galileo ([email protected]) keeps ZN Hydeaways stocked. That's one of the latest. They could also get you the Majestic (sooo pretty, I keep mine in my bedroom [joke])

Mark
Old 04-23-2002, 07:35 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Krazy,

If I were you, I would definiately look into the Piedmont Models Focus. It is either an ARF or an ARC. They are very cheap and are of high quiality. I believe that the OS 1.60 would do great in that airplane. Since you are in North Carolina, I believe that it would be a good plane since they are located near Burlington. The ARF sells for about $825 and the ARC for about $725. The ARF is covered in Oracover (Ultracote) and the finish on them is wonderful.

I do not own a Focus, I own a Hydeout, but I have seen the Focus up close many times and have seen it perform. It does very good. You can check out their website at www.piedmontmodels.com . It is well organized and they are very happy to help you if you call. Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:54 PM
PineBaron
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Zen50 is great value and a superb flying machine. I have one with a YS63. Also a Zen 90 with a YS120.
If you want to go more exotic at a lower cost, try kits from the link shown below or go for the ZEN140 with a YS140 (thats next for me)

http://home.att.net/~rc-enterprises/...rprises001.htm
Old 04-24-2002, 03:17 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

can someone tell me why pattern planes cost so freaking much??? like the focus, only 875$!!!
Old 04-24-2002, 07:44 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Default Pattern plane cost ?

It's due to the material used // number of sales possible // time and money invested to even break even. When you visit the field how many do you see? How many variations of the "Ugly Stick" do you see? Interest in pattern has diminished (at least in the region I fly in) with more people flying IMAC. The magazines are full of Extras / Edges / Caps / Sukhois. Pattern planes in the ads are in the .60 to .90 size and most are flown as sport models. The scale aerobatic planes have more interest to the average pilot than a purpose built pattern plane. Bill
Old 04-24-2002, 09:18 AM
Scorpionjack

Very good Bill !

Shortman Pattern is a precision event in our hobby. It takes numerous hours to practice and perfect just one of so many maneuvers. Sport pilots are great and out to have fun, just as I do 90% of the time. 10% of all R/C'ers are Pattern/F3A. At my Club I'm the only one that has an owns various pattern planes. I fly mine and people come up and ask questions on just how straight and precise the maneuvers are and how beautiful the landings are. I hand the controller to them and they also see just how straight the plane maintains flight in any angle. They then make comments like I guess my next plane will be a pattern. Still haven't seen one from any member yet. With this percision there is a cost! Thats not to say Planes as Bill mentioned aren't capable of performing just as nice maneuvers. I did see a Japanese guy at an Okinawa F3A comp, beat the pants off of us with an Extra!

Hope this answers more of your questions.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:35 PM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Most people don't have the discipline for pattern. It takes lots of practice and careful setup and maintenance of your equipment but it is completely addicting.

As Jack and Excap have said with small volumes come greater costs. Part of the cost is the precision required in building a Focus is about 2m and will be about 10 1/2 lbs. Similiar sized sport plane on glow would be around 12lbs. The wings one my Focus are within a 1/10 of an oz of each other and the elevators are within a 1/16 of each other in size. Compare this to the sport ARFs you are seeing and the cost starts to make sense.

Most kits are about $400 for a Glass fuse and foam wing and stab cores. Getting these framed up perfectly straight and light from a pro builder add another $1200. Consider 3 guys finished at least top ten with the Focus at last years nats it is cheap.
Spend your money on what you enjoy and have fun.

Anthony
Old 04-24-2002, 05:15 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

i want to get into pattern and imac
Old 04-24-2002, 06:14 PM
ilikeplanes

My clunky and ugly Chaos was a great pattern trainer. One good thing about flying pattern is that most club members will stop and watch. It's fun because flying becomes a disciplined way of improving not just bombing around the field until you run out of fuel.

I agree with the post above. Buy a Joe Bridi kit and have a blast. This design is very simple and easy to build.

take-off
precision turn
immelman
figure m
split-s
outside loop
stall turn with half rolls
4 point roll
etc
etc

I think I just worked up a pattern jack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.