Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Removing cam bearing from a YS DZ 160 Crankcase

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Removing cam bearing from a YS DZ 160 Crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:59 PM
PeterP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing cam bearing from a YS DZ 160 Crankcase

I am in the middle of trying to remove a cam bearing from a DZ 160 Crankcase. Anyone got any suggestions how too! -

Peter

Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 PM
riot3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Removing cam bearing from a YS DZ 160 Crankcase

I usually warm the side of the crankcase with a blow torch, then tap it with a rubber mallet & it should come right out

Adrian
Old 09-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PeterP

I am in the middle of trying to remove a cam bearing from a DZ 160 Crankcase. Anyone got any suggestions how too! -

Peter

Peter....
I grind a slot in a piece of 4mm steel wire the width of the cam inner race.
It looks like a square C.
Then I heat the crankcase in the oven to about 200 degrees F. Then hold the crankcase with a hot glove and insert the wire.
Pull out on the wire evenly as you go around the circle of the race...you dont want to get the bearing wedged in crooked.
Keep working it and it will come out but it's a hassle for sure.
Remove any plastic parts and the pump before heating.
Glad to see you back.
Good Luck.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 PM
PeterP

Thanks Adrian and Dave,

Finally got the little sucker out geez what a struggle.

I have certainly learnt a lesson never to leave a perfectly running YS engine in a model for an extended period- in my case 6 years and then expect it to run.

Yes Dave it has been a while. I had a bit of a break to concentrate on my business and I finallymay get some time for myself to do a bit of flying. I have gone to the dark side and am in the process of getting an electric contra model up and running. I simply want to get some flying under my belt to try and get my fingers working again - best way is to get my old IC model flyingso I can enjoy my 12-15 minute flights before I have tosettle into 8 minute flights.

My havent things changed in 6 years - 2.4G radios, electric F3A planesOMG everyonespeaks a completely new lingoat the flying field. Screw drivers and spanners have been replaced with multimeters andsoldering irons.

What will the next 10 years hold?

Cheers,

Peter
Old 07-21-2013, 07:24 PM
markinhedland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have found the easiest way to remove these bearings is to "shave" some candle wax into the bore of the bearing & useing the shank of a twist drill - (the size of the bore of the bearing ) compress the wax (lightly tap with a hammer) - shave some more wax & repeat the process. as you continue to repeat this process the bearing will be jacked out of the housing. i know this sounds silly but it does work !!!!! takes about 3 mins !!!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: PeterP
My havent things changed in 6 years - 2.4G radios, electric F3A planesOMG everyonespeaks a completely new lingoat the flying field. Screw drivers and spanners have been replaced with multimeters andsoldering irons.

What will the next 10 years hold?

Cheers,

Peter
Indeed....One prediction is simple, straight forward: much better batteries and early stages of fuel cells. Fuel cells are the ultimate answer but are "lightyears" away for model use.....

The next is a hope more than a prediction: gasoline power. Right now there is only one (my experience) powerplant capable of everything F3A power demands. In ten years we may have multiple options and maybe a 4 cycle that hauls the mail like a YS175 on 30% nitro does