RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Miss Wind 50 Trimming Problems

Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 AM
bafflerback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Miss Wind 50 Trimming Problems

Is there anyone out there flying a Miss Wind 50 that has gotten it trimed properly. I've got about 30 flights on mine and I have two problem I can't fix, sort of cutting up the airplane. The airplane is carring a lot of up elevator trim. Because of that it takes almost full down elevator to hold the airplane inverted. It also pulls to the canope on both the up and down lines. On the down line it will pull to level flight all by its self.

I've been moving the CG back and it hasn't helped. I've got it to the point that it's starting to get touchy on landing and nothing has changed. I'd love the change the wing incedence but the way the wings are mounted would be a major reconstruction. If you sight the wings there is a lot of negative in the top wing. I've set up biplanes in the past with the bottom wing at zero and the top at -1 but this look like more that that. Before I either start cutting on this airframe or just start with another plane I thought I'd ask if anybody fixed one of these.

Thanks
Bob
Old 09-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Ralph Schweizer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Wind 50 Trimming Problems

Hi Bob,

I have a couple of flights with the Miss Wind 50 and her bigger sister. Can you please write down your incidence settings?

Greetings from Austria
Ralph
Old 09-18-2012, 11:25 AM
bafflerback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ralph:

Because the airplane is an ARF and there are no incidence listed in the instructions I assembled it by using the factory mounting points. I would love to change them but because the wings are mounted with carbon rods throught gig drill holes it wouldn't be easy. I'll measure it the first chance I get and post them here.

Thanks
Bob
Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Roberto B.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Usually, the upper wing has a little play. Use that to lock it in the most positive incidence as possible.
The correct CG is located just where the servo cables comes out the upper wing.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:45 PM
rcflyer4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Moving CG back does not change trim setting as you might think it should. You need a adjust the wing with positive incidense. Its not as hard as you might think but to get it right it will take several adjustments. You need to file out the opening in the fusalage where the pins go thru then you need to make new donuts and glue them into the fusalage over the existing ones until you get it dialed in.

Best of luck
Evan
Old 09-18-2012, 02:17 PM
SAB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob,

Go to the Miss Wind 50 thread in the RCU Electic Pattern forum, here's the link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...tm.htm#8633615

Several report the same thing as you have, it's caused, as you suspected by too much negative incidence on top wing

You can change it by modifying the front hole of the centre post & wing struts, it's described in the above thread

I have a Miss Wind 50, although haven't flown it much these past 2 years, however my top wing incidence was minus 2.5 degrees - changed it to minus 0.5 so I now have a net positive 0.5 of the 2 wings (bottom wing was positive 1 degree) & it flies with very little elevator trim

Steve
Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 AM
bafflerback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Steve the link really helped. Moving the top wing is going to be a real joy because of the way it's mounted but the link gave me some interesting ideas. I thought that was the problem all along. The top wing doesn't even look right.

Search this Thread