Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Let's gasify a Vanquish

Hello

Friend of mine told me that exhaust header forZDZ 4O RE is the same as PTE36R except dimension HF (see picture)
    Dimensions HF of PTE36R is 15 mm.
    Header :
    I think it's easier to machine it.
    http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...HEADER-25.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95039.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	1811845  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: papaone

Hello

Friend of mine told me that exhaust header forZDZ 4O RE is the same as PTE36R except dimension HF (see picture)
    Dimensions HF of PTE36R is 15 mm.
    Header :
    I think it's easier to machine it.
    http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...HEADER-25.html
    Claude and all,

Just a quick heads ups....The Macs header for the OS140RX has the exact bolt spacing needed for the PTE36. The exhaust port is also practically identical.

I checked this with a new header I had laying around. Apparently the old header I was using was a Webra header so what I stated earlier about needing some relocating of the bolt holes is wrong. The MACS OS140RX header is a drop in fit. The only thing it will need is to drill out the holes to accept M5 bolts (original holes are for M4)
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thats good news.

have you run the pte36 before, or will this one be a first for you matt?

tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vatechguy3

thats good news.

tony
    No, it's the first one. Can't vouch at all for anything pertaining to this powerplant. It's pretty cheap engine at $270 so it was a no brainer to get one for testing

My original intent was to run the OS in the plane. But since I had the PTE on hand as well as the header, why not? Plus the rear exhaust configuration really makes it elementary.

On the other hand, I made mounting the soft mount common to both engines so I have options just in case the PTE is inadequate. The OS is a known at this point
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are a few more photos of the structural conversion. Triangle stock placed in strategic places. Then 1 layer of 4 oz glass epoxied around the firewall and the box sides, as shown.

The added lite ply top with cross members will keep the top side from flexing too much

All holes in the front of the fuse will be covered over with paper to better channel hot air away from inside the fuse

Name:	Jg14106.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	1812562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr56250.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	296.1 KB 
ID:	1812563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv54230.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	1812564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh13462.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	275.8 KB 
ID:	1812565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wh59042.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	1812566  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yo91216.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	1812567  
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Decided to also add doublers just aft of the landing gear box. This areaonly had a 1mm plywood perimeter as shown in one of the photos.It may not really need any other reinforcement but I felt that with the balsa sheeting only 3mm thick in this area, a bit more balsa is likely warranted.

Added 3mm doublers as shown, recessing the edgesto sit flush againstthe 1mm plywood perimeter frame. Recessing was simple with a sanding block. I probably used more gorilla glue than necessary as shownby the foamed glue around the edges of the doubler

Name:	Us53484.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	1812568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16845.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	1812569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu51412.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	1812570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sd43125.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	1812572  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: vatechguy3

thats good news.

tony
    No, it's the first one. Can't vouch at all for anything pertaining to this powerplant. It's pretty cheap engine at $270 so it was a no brainer to get one for testing

My original intent was to run the OS in the plane. But since I had the PTE on hand as well as the header, why not? Plus the rear exhaust configuration really makes it elementary.

On the other hand, I made mounting the soft mount common to both engines so I have options just in case the PTE is inadequate. The OS is a known at this point
    For what it's worth, I just purchased a Piedmont Focus 2 with a Syssa 30 in it and if the PTE runs anywhere near what the Syssa does in terms of power, Oh My Gosh it will be a bullet!
    I have never owned a pattern ship, but after watching a fellow hobbyist put the focus 2 thru it's paces, I just had to have it. Amazing speed and quite literally unlimited vertical. That joker will get out of site in a hurry, accelerating straight up.

I didn't have a way to bring her hoime from the field after striking the deal, but I should have her in my hangar sometime this week. You pattern guys and the ships you fly are simply.... AMAZING.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The SAP180 is a great engine. I've done a whole thread on it alone. Learned an awful lot about gas engines in this size from the SAP experience. Still have one on hand.....Good luck with your set-up...
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Back to the topic at hand.....During the fitting of the stab I encountered a problem that any of you guys contemplating the Vanquish as your next ride should know about. The set-screws used for stab adjustment would not go in easily so I chased the threads with an M4 tap, The adjustment block inside the stab is aluminum so you don't want to cross thread anything here.

Well, the first side worked fine. Chasing threads is a simple task and should be done where ever one encounters resistance in existing threads, cleaning them up rather than X-threading them

The second side was a different issue..... the aluminum block came off inside the stab. Easy enough to take out and inspect the part. One small screw was allit was held by, plus some adhesive, possibly ca. It just wasn't enough to hold the torque of the tap and popped off.

No big deal and actually I'm kinda glad it happened on my bench. The aluminum block has two mounting holes so I am tapping these for some 4-40 screws and reinstalling the part with a pair of flat heads through the root ply rib. I'll take a few photos and show you what I did
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's what I did... Tapped the aluminum block. The ears are about 2mm thick so there are enough threads to hold things together. The 4-40 flat heads make for a neat install. Also some JB-weld will hold things together long term

Name:	Bz79080.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	1813726   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa84636.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	272.6 KB 
ID:	1813727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej12377.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	1813728  
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The model is unbelievably light.....I musta missed something....Just10 # rtf,with an XOAR 19x10laminated woodie.Very nice

If this model was converted to an OS140RX, it would weigh 9 1/2 lbs...very sporty. Except the 140RX can't haul big props

BTW Shaved 35 grams from the landing gear and decided to build a mold for the modified landing gear. I prefer a lighter, springier gear that absorbs the energy rather than transfering it to the frame. Strength is fine
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, excellent weight at this point!

I know you hate plastic, but do you still plan to re-cover?
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just thought i would add, that my Dad bought a pte36 and todayi test flew it for himin a 80+ inch arf pt 19.
    it acts like it was pre run by the factory or redwing before he got it. it started right up and idled perfectly and ran very strong at full throttle. we didnt even adjust the needles, i didn't think we could have made it better it ran so well.
    no ground running besides the first start and run of a couple of minutes and then we refueled it and flew it.
    the pt had unlimited vertical at full throttle but looked more like a big yellow P51 speed wise (i'm surprised we didn't blow the pilots out of the open cocpits). it flew better at less than half throttle (a little more scale at that speed) i think he had a zoar 19-8 on it.and it pulled that easy.
    instant throttle response from idle andinstant response from half throttle.
    it is clearly the best gas engine i have run recently.
    i might be putting one in place of my ys170 soon
    Dave.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Wow, excellent weight at this point!

I know you hate plastic, but do you still plan to re-cover?
    Bob,

Yeah, at some point Ithink I'lldo that. First I want to see how it flies and what else I need to change whenI peel the plastic off.

One thing I see right off is the leading edge of the wing...just too blunt for my taste. And wing adjusters....

One thing at a time. Heck it may not live long enough if the radio goes south

Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does this plane still have the chin cowl? or is it a 1 piece cowl now?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I recall correctly, the e-version has always had a 1-piece cowl, as shown in Matt's photos on the first page.

Maybe the g-version prototypes had chin cowls but they never made it past prototype...
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bob, how are you? Hope Matt and the other NJ pattern guys made it through Sandy ok, Matt? No AC where I live but no property damage either, a blessing.  Did fly the Vanquish back to back with the Nuance last week, very different feel and I am thinking of selling the Vanquish now.  Both are very nice models, just different enough to drive me nuts! Anyway, hope all and their birds are well. Keep the faith.
    Good Flying! Dana
    4449NSRC AMA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rm

Does this plane still have the chin cowl? or is it a 1 piece cowl now?

No chin cowl in the current version

Actually the current cowling is not a problem in any way. The whole engine fits inside and the mounting bolts are easily accessed from the various holes up front. In fact it may be a bit easier to fit better baffles in a one piece cowling and then slide the whole thing in place from the front. In addition, once the cowling is removed, it fully exposes the engine and mount and provides access to a front mounted CDI for example. To me, it's simpler

Dana,
    W/o power, phone and internet as of Thursday. Minor damage to home and property.

This is the second hurricane to affect us here in the NE in as many years. We've had blizzards, hurricanes and earthquakes here in Joisey in the 7+ years since my return.

Having lived in Florida for 20 years and Texas for 10 prior to returning to Joisey, we experienced only one hurricane in those 30 years combined. I think Joisey is toast!!
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I recall correctly, the e-version has always had a 1-piece cowl, as shown in Matt's photos on the first page.

Maybe the g-version prototypes had chin cowls but they never made it past prototype...
    Bob,

The electric version that the thread was started on had a chin cowl. They changed it on later shipments.

Arch
    Team Futaba, Aero-Model / Hacker, Tech Aero Designs, F3A Unlimited, Team BJ Craft, Thunder Power RC, Castle Creations

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good stuff, MTK! Subscribed!

Glad to hear you made it through the storm okay!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: danamania

Hi Bob, how are you? Hope Matt and the other NJ pattern guys made it through Sandy ok, Matt? No AC where I live but no property damage either, a blessing. *Did fly the Vanquish back to back with the Nuance last week, very different feel and I am thinking of selling the Vanquish now. *Both are very nice models, just different enough to drive me nuts! Anyway, hope all and their birds are well. Keep the faith.
    Dana, zero problems here. Lights flickered a couple of times and that's it. But not far away lots of electric outages and trees down. Trains were finally running yesterday so wife could get to work, which is the most important thing!

Yes, those are definitely different models!

Very interested to see how Matt's gassified version works.
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The electric version that the thread was started on had a chin cowl. They changed it on later shipments.

Arch
    Another glow-motor artifact bites the dust.

Thanks for the correction. I should have referred to the photos I have of the model in your original thread.
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Shimano

Good stuff, MTK! Subscribed!

Glad to hear you made it through the storm okay!
    Thank you! Dumb luck in reality. Some of our neighbors fared worse. My brother who lives near me is w/o power, phone and internet too. But he's also very resourceful and just happens to work for the Board of Education.....That has turned out to be a blessing!

Some parts of our neighborhood had power restored this morn. We hope that today is the day for us too....

The gas lines are an unwantedtrip down memory lane back to 1973. Smart marketeers should sell 10 gallons gas along with those generators. I would do that anyway, but I'm not in that business.
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another glow-motor artifact bites the dust.

Thanks for the correction. I should have referred to the photos I have of the model in your original thread.
    Bob,

I guess that some e-fuses allow nose access only from the front? That would be a better, stronger and lighter arrangement for an e-fuse. Also, a firewall (if you can call it that) wouldn't needmuch beef to work properly if it was glued as a ring around the whole nose. Makes good engineering sense to me
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very interested to see how Matt's gassified version works.
    Bob and all,

It is just about completed. I will maiden it this coming weekendif weather holds up. I'll try to take some snaps of it at the field and I'll give a flight report in these pages.
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast