Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

MK Magic Box

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK Magic Box

All,

I have recently acquired a new to me airplane that the canopy blew off of. While I have a replacement canopy that needs to be fitted and painted to match, I am reviewing my options for mounting the new canopy. I have an MK Magic Box that I would like to use, as it seems to be a pretty fool-proof method of retaining the canopy.

I was hoping to get some feedback from those out there as to how well these work in a glow application? I have seen a few in use, but mostly they are used with electric airplanes. The spring in the mechanism seems to be pretty stout, but I don't want to run the risk of losing a canopy.

I am simply exploring my options here. If you have used them for mounting canopies, please weigh in with your experiences, good and bad. I seem to recall some grumblings about them being a little finicky to setup, but installation notwithstanding, I would like some good feedback, if it's out there.

Thanks and best regards,

Ryan
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 PM
PeterP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MK Magic Box

I used them for securing a bellypan and must say I was not  impressed. They work well but in a glow setup the vibrations made the whole setup sloppy after a while. In an e-setup it may not be a problem. If it is for a canopy I would use the bob voilet canopy latches - simple, secure and easy to install. 
Old 02-05-2013, 04:52 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the canopy latch from hobby lobby the red one, works great
Old 02-05-2013, 03:48 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

+1 for the HobbyLobby Red Hatch Latch.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 AM
danlandis

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Ryan,

I have used a few on glow set ups back a while and I have had no problems at all with them, even used it on  a 35% gasser.

Hope that helps,
Dan
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM
tuny

In a glow powered aircraft I will never use anything but screws. 4-40 and blind nuts.
No vibration problems and no noise problems