Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Traveling with 2 meter plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traveling with 2 meter plane

Hey guys quick question for those of you who travel to contest outside The US. Are you having your planes shipped via UPS, FEDEX or are you bringing it on the plane with you?

Thanks,
Old 03-02-2013, 09:38 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Traveling with 2 meter plane

Bringing the plane as regular luggage, pay oversize, ussually $100, preferably with no engine if IC or batteries if electric. i know all the regulations and bla bla, but it is the only way it really works, as not all airline employees know/understand the rules. I have traveled 5 times internationally to contest including Europe.

Hope it helps
Old 03-03-2013, 04:22 AM
rgreen24

Thanks for the info. I fly electric. I guess I could check the batteries in a different package apart from the plane. Do you normally use a crate or save the box your airplane is originally delivered to you in?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:03 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a crate made, it is made of 1/8" plywood and 1" strips of pine wood frame on the inside. The total weight of the box with a 2Meter is 23Kg, one of the pilots form Ecuador has a box that holds two planes, the box is huge, and still has been able to fly with him on commercial flights.

The oversize is pretty much the same, but it depends on the airline, the only thing we do is arrive at the airport earlier than usual just to make sure the boxes get in.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 AM
rgreen24

Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 PM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

please post some pictures. I think the people who travel for championship with their pattern planes can post some pics of the small containers.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 AM
rgreen24

one more quick question, how do you travel with your Lipos for eletric motors? Do you check them on or do you bring them on the plane with you?

thanks,