Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Building in outdoor shed?

Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building in outdoor shed?

As many of you have read, my house is under construction and it is taking ridiculously long. I don't have anywhere safe to store/build the precious 2M composite plane I have sitting NIB in climate controlled storage. I'm sure this has been covered a little in the past but I want to be extra cautious.

I have an outdoor shed. It looks remarkably clean and dry inside, especially given the fact that the house was abused and neglected by previous owners. However, the shed it is not sealed. There are 2 soffit vents, I think the eves are open, and the door doesn't come close to sealing anything. The temperature here in SW Ohio is decent right now but humidity really picks up some days.

Should I be concerned, or should I go ahead and start building? I'm not sure I know where I could bring the plane at the end of a building session at this point, probably another few weeks before the hired help clears out of my spare bedroom. The shed is protected by a padlock and I should be able to run a 100' 12ga extension cord for lights and tools.

Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Building in outdoor shed?

I would say go for it I built out of old sheds and garages, long as you can lock it up you should be ok
Old 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Joe,

Is this your Integral?  Go for it!! Get that thing ready for the Nats!!  It is all composite so the temp and humidity won't affect it.  It is much hotter and humider down here and my Integral lives in the garage and does just fine.
   BTW - my CNC has been waiting to start cutting!!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Jetdesign

Ya Keith I feel horrible, I haven't had my plane around to check fits and measurements. Nowhere in the house is safe from the construction.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Jetdesign

Well the Shed seems to let in less water than my house Thanks for the encouragement, I just brought a load of 'parts' from storage. Should have the plane here within a week or two. Shed should work, and if the cabinets find their way from the garage to the inside of the house before then, even better.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Every single British invention has been created in a garden shed.
To the average male Brit', regardless of economic, social or intellectual class... the shed is HIS castle.
My RC days started in the shed in the early 70's... now a have small, but dedicated hanger.
God... I miss that shed.
Go for it... it's something magical.