Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

hmm, probably time for a new phone anyway. the Thunderbolt was one of the first 4g phones, seems to get left behind with all the updates :/
Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 AM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tuny

Looks great! Is it possible to write your own sequence. To use it for unknowns?
Hi Tuny,

Absolutely, with the latest build for the iPhone you can create your own sequences and edit existing sequences to sit your preferences as to how you want stuff called. In addition, once I.have the first android version out (hopefully later this week) I'll be hooking in to the new unknown generator tool online that I built for Team USA and you can generate and save locally any number of unknown sequences.

Peter+
Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Silent-AV8R

Peter - I got a chance to try out the latest build this past weekend. I did the training at the field and everything seemed set to go. However, every time I started up the sequence and put my phone in my pocket it would go into trainer mode. Then it would not react to the prompts. So it goes into training mode, then tells me to say "Next" which I did about 25 times before giving up. It was a bit windy and I wonder if that might be an issue. I was using ear buds and the built in microphone on them, so that may be an issue. I suggest moving the training button to a different screen so it cannot be activated while handling the phone in calling mode.

BTW - I built my own custom sequence calling the Advanced sequence as I like it called and that went really smoothly.

I plan to work with it a bit more this coming weekend. I plan to use a t-shirt with a pocket on it to see if that makes a difference. I was putting in my shorts pocket last time.

Bill
Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
pvogel

Great feedback Bill! I'll look into doing that
Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 PM
BlueSkyLoop99

Turns out I have an IPod Nano / Shuffle (small square). Will it work there?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 PM
pvogel

I don't think so
Old 05-22-2013, 03:47 PM
pvogel

ANDROID GUYS!

Ok. Here's the deal the Speech recognition APIs on Android fundamentally suck once you start listening, if something isn't heard in a very short (under 4 seconds) time the speech recognizer shuts down without letting me know it did that and I have to jump through hoops to try to figure out how to wake it up. I'm also struggling with how to get it to listen to the right microphone depending on the device, what's plugged in, etc.

Sooo. I have the basic calling working, voice synthesis is great, hit a next button, etc. but no one wants to mess with hitting a "next" button, but speech recognition like I have for the iPhone looks like a longer road what would you think about having next/repeat based on TILT of the device? You could strap it to the back of your TX and tilt the TX to the right or up/down to get the next maneuver and tilt the other way to repeat the current maneuver...

Peter+
Old 05-22-2013, 04:39 PM
JSchoolcraft

I'll stick to my age old statement......"Droid Doesn't!!!!!"

Lol
Old 05-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Rockomo
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Peter,

Interested in beta testing on IPod Touch. Hooked into TestFlight with the IPod and received status of no apps yet. Do they get built for each request or am I missing something? Ipod was just updated to latest Ios.

..Lynn..

D-4, Intermediate
Old 05-22-2013, 05:37 PM
pvogel

Hi Lynn,

Yeah, I have to do a build that includes your deviceId in my provisioning profile
Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 PM
pvogel

OK DROIDs! I've just uploaded a build and notified everyone who has signed up in TestFlight AND registered an Android device, release notes are copied below, please read them!

I have about 12 people who have signed up for a beta but have NO device registered, if you don't have a device registered, I won't approve you in to the beta because I don't know what device type I need to build for you...

At the moment, no schedule editing, etc. getting the voice recognition to work reliably took more of my time than I expected and I don't want to sink a lot of time into this if the result won't be viable...

Also, because I'm stuck with the Google-provided voice recognition stuff (instead of being able to use good 3rd party libs that run on the device no matter what version of iOS you are running) I have limited this to Android 4.1+ (JellyBean+) devices because they work with offline voice recognition, previous versions depend on the device being internet-connected which results in unacceptable recognition lag and unreliable functioning at the field.

Release notes:
First Android Build

The Android voice recognizer sucks, the only way I could get it to work is with the annoying microphone dialog popping up with it's bings, etc. and if it thinks it heard you say something but it didn't understand what you said it will fail to recognize and then you have to hit a button to resume, I'm working on that! So this build is "functional" to get feedback at the same level the original iOS build was functional.

To turn off voice recognition (so you can change classes, for example) say "Done", when you select a new class we'll start listening again...

To start calling (or restart for that matter) say "Start".

To go to the next maneuver say "Next"

To go to the previous maneuver say "Back"

To hear the current maneuver call again say "Repeat"

Peter+

Released: May 23, 2013
Size: 857.1 KB
Old 05-25-2013, 09:51 AM
pvogel

iOS folks who signed up in the past slightly over a week, I've updated build #5 to include your devices in the provisioning profile, so you should have just gotten a download link. Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week!

Peter+
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM
pvogel

OK, had a chance to try the apps (iOS and Android) at the field today with high winds some definite recognition issues for me to deal with... Also, some definite usability issues to consider around accidental changes of the schedule being used, speech recognition starting too early, etc.

So... here's my thinking:

1. Make schedule choice be on a separate screen from calling mode, so you choose the schedule, then hit a button to go to calling mode. You click "start calling" (instead of saying it) and the screen locks so you can't hit any buttons accidentally. When you say "done" the screen unlocks and you flip back to the schedule selection screen. I'm thinking it will listen ONLY for "TAKING OFF!" to be yelled before listening for anything else, that way you can get set up, call "coming out", etc. that you may need to do to declare intent at the field before you take off.

2. "I didn't understand what you said" takes too long to say, I'm going to change it to "Pardon?" and I think I'll give you an option that if it heard *anything* other than back please or repeat that it will go next, as that's the most likely intent...

Anything else folks?

Peter+
Old 05-25-2013, 07:37 PM
pvogel

Oh! And my apologies Android folk, the voice recognition is far to agressive, it's virtually impossible to get to the base screen and change the schedule that you want it to call for ... I'll work on that...

Peter+
Old 05-26-2013, 04:11 AM
luckymacy

ORIGINAL: pvogel

Oh! And my apologies Android folk, the voice recognition is far to agressive, it's virtually impossible to get to the base screen and change the schedule that you want it to call for ... I'll work on that...

Peter+
Rc caller won't download and install on my iPad and gives no hint why though the progress bar get most of way through before t raises the issue. The droid version started off fine but the only time I tried it about halfway into the sequence got lost. I'll wait for the droid update before trying again.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:11 PM
pvogel

Hi Lucky,

Installation is out of my app's control how much memory do you have free on the device? Settings>General>Usage will show storage (i.e. on my iPhone it says 20.4GB available, 36.9GB used? RCCaller uses 21MB, but may need about 42MB to install.

Peter+
Old 05-28-2013, 02:55 AM
luckymacy

ORIGINAL: pvogel

Hi Lucky,

Installation is out of my app's control how much memory do you have free on the device? Settings>General>Usage will show storage (i.e. on my iPhone it says 20.4GB available, 36.9GB used? RCCaller uses 21MB, but may need about 42MB to install.

Peter+
4.7 GB of memory still available so that's not it.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I try to get this but for some reason it keep saying you got no apps?? I'm on iPhone 4 up to date....???
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM
pvogel

Hi Daniel,

If you signed up for the beta since Saturday morning, I haven't updated the provisioning profile for new devices yet, I'll likely take care of that this evening.

Peter+
Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Dansy

I see no problems I was just wondering....why it wasn't working for me (I obviously never used that system before). No rush for me it will be raining all week....again!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Rockomo
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Peter,

It appears that the IPod touch version has to be connected to the internet to load up. Any tricks to getting the app to load at the field, unfortunately we do not have Wifi. I had the app running and traveled to the field today, unplugged my ear buds with mike and plugged it back in and the app closed... couldn't get it back at the field.

Please Advise.. ..Lynn..

Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 PM
pvogel

Hi Lynn,

Good catch! That's why we do Beta tests :-) I'm trying to trap errors when we check for changes in the cloud so I can fall back to stuff stored locally, but there's something I'm missing. I've been heads-down in my hobby coding time this week on getting the new version of our scoring software finished for a contest this weekend. I'll get back on the caller next week.

Peter+
Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 PM
macleote

Now i'm register for droid S4. Waiting for an available release
Old 09-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Dansy

I have seen nothing push my way....while I'm a long time user (Apple) I just never did any beta testing......but it does say "my mobile is ready to receive access to applications from the RCCaller tam once your request is accepted"
Old 09-20-2013, 04:10 AM
kingconsulting

Anybody get this to work on IOS7?

Robert

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.