Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Old 12-28-2014, 12:27 PM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What version do you have installed? Did you install through DeployGate? The early versions required internet access at all times to run, the new one requires internet access on the first run (to download the latest schedules) after which it will use a connection once every 2 days to update the schedules if necessary. Similarly the early versions required internet access for voice recognition, the latest builds do voice recognition entirely on the device and so never require internet access to call the sequences you have on the device.

Peter+
Old 12-28-2014, 08:16 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It says Rccaller #10 and #13 is available. I downloaded through deploygate. Oh now I see #17 is ready to down load. I'll give that a try and see where it takes me. I'll get back to you if I have any questions or problems.

Thanks!

Ken
Old 12-28-2014, 08:48 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It works on my S4 with no internet signal.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:50 PM
kenh3497

RC Caller works just fine now. At least setting in the living room with no "distractions". I'm just speaking to the phone without using a headset and mic. It works 90% of the time. With a good mic it should be better.

Ken
Old 12-29-2014, 05:45 PM
drac1

I can't get it to work at all with voice control.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:14 PM
tele1974

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see the App in the Google play store anywhere. Where is it located???
Old 12-31-2014, 12:11 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by tele1974
I don't see the App in the Google play store anywhere. Where is it located???
Use the link in post #120.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:30 AM
tele1974

I got it installed but I was it does is tell me to take off. It doesn't seem to be responded to voice control. What do I do next?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 PM
pvogel

The commands are "Start Calling", "Next Maneuver", "Previous Maneuver", "Repeat Maneuver", and "Stop Calling". At the field, though, you will be much happier with tilt control because noise/wind/etc. get in the way of the voice recognition system.

Peter+
Old 12-31-2014, 01:21 PM
drac1

Those commands do not work at all with voice control on mine even at home with no back ground noise at all.

Tilt control does, but when I get a few maneuvers in it starts going backwards and sometimes skips to the end.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:36 PM
pvogel

Voice control: Do you have a strong accent? Unfortunately, the crap Android standard voice recognition has a number of problems, not least of which is using an internet connection if it's there, even if it's poor quality, this can lead to unacceptably high latency to recognize voice commands, even though then, at least, your language preferences apply to select the language model for recognition. Instead, I'm using the CMU Sphinx project's recognizer, but I have only standard english and spanish language models to use, so if you have a strong accent (Aussie or otherwise) it can interfere with recognition. I've heard from two people with French accents, one has no trouble, the other has a stronger accent and is not recognized.

On the tilt control -- I determine the baseline attitude of the device when start calling is switched ON, from there, a roll of about 10 degrees to the right will advance the call, roll about 10 degrees left will go back a maneuver. I won't read another tilt until you've gone back the other way at least 5 degrees. For example:

Start flat, screen facing up, click the start calling switch to switch it on.
Roll 11 degrees right -- Call advances and voice announces new maneuver.
Return to flat, the roll trigger will "rearm" as it crosses 6 degrees of tilt (11 - 5 = 6)
Roll 11 degrees right -- Call advances, etc.

Now, if you are real quick with the rolls and roll an extreme amount, you'll get this behavior:
Start flat, screen facing up, click the start calling switch to switch it on.
Roll 20 degrees right -- Call advances and voice announces new maneuver.
Return to about 11 degrees, the roll trigger will "rearm" as it crosses 15 degrees of tilt (20-5 = 15)
See the 11 degrees of tilt as > 10 degrees, roll trigger fires again, even though you didn't roll right again

I'm working on allowing you to adjust sensitivity... But if you know how it works, you can be careful and it will work.

Peter+
Old 12-31-2014, 02:51 PM
drac1

It doesn't start with take off. When I turn it on, it starts with the first maneuver.

I take care to tilt only enough to move to the next maneuver and then back to level. In P15, it gets to the 1/2 square loop with 1/2 roll down then goes back to the first maneuver and then goes to the last maneuver. It does this every time.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:07 PM
pvogel

Sensitivity adjustment now available to beta testers in build #18, be sure to read the release notes for how the sensitivity adjust works.

Drac, sorry, yes, it starts on the first maneuver, which for AMA pattern classes is takeoff, but for F3A is the first actual maneuver and for IMAC is "Enter Box ..." As for the P-15 sequence, I'm not able to reproduce what you describe. Can you check that you didn't edit the pattern and remove maneuvers? the system DOES roll from the last maneuver in a sequence back to the first maneuver when you go "next" after the last maneuver since some people run the same sequence a couple of times in a flight (particularly the IMAC guys). On my device from 1/2 square loop with 1/2 roll down the next call is stall turn with 1 1/4 roll up, 3/4 roll down.

Peter+

Last edited by pvogel; 12-31-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to reply to drake
Old 12-31-2014, 10:12 PM
drac1

No I didn't edit maneuvers.

I get to the stall turn with 1 1/4 roll up, 3/4 roll down, then it goes to the previous maneuver and keeps going back, even though I am still tilting to the right which should go to the next maneuver. Tilting to the left at this stage does nothing. Yes, I am going back to the required reset angle and no, I am not going past it to the left.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:14 AM
pvogel

OK. Drac, thanks for the feedback. Couple things to help me diagnose what may be going on:

1. What's your user name on deploy gate? Are you da4rc? That will enable me to work with you to grab logs...

2. Let's try this with build 18:
a. Configure the caller for tilt control
b. Set the trigger to 20 degrees and the reset to 15
c. Select the sequence you've been using (sounds like FAI P-15?)
d. Lay the phone down flat on its back on a sturdy table facing up so the interface is right side up for you
e. Click the headphone play button or carefully flip the call enable switch to ON, it should call the first maneuver
f. Lift the left side of the phone to past 20 degrees to advance the call, while it's calling the maneuver, lay the phone back down flat on the table. Avoid changes on the pitch and yaw axis.
g. When the maneuver call is complete, repeat step f & g until it gets through the whole sequence or acts up.

Let me know if that gets you through the whole sequence or not -- the table removes several variables.

Either way, I'd like to set up a time where you can go through it as you have been using it and again as laid out above while I'm also online and can pull logs from the app remotely to see what tilts it is seeing. It could just be a really bad tilt sensor array or the fact that being in Australia you are upside-down :-) but then I wouldn't expect it to fail so consistently in the same place... I'm on PST, UTC-8 at the moment, You are in UTC+10 if I recall correctly (I work with a bunch of folks that are in AEST for Intuit's AU office in Sydney) so that makes my mid afternoon your morning on the following day so we have a good overlap...

I'll PM you my e-mail address and cell # so we can coordinate by e-mail or text message, your choice...

Thanks!
Peter+
Old 01-01-2015, 03:50 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by pvogel
OK. Drac, thanks for the feedback. Couple things to help me diagnose what may be going on:

1. What's your user name on deploy gate? Are you da4rc? That will enable me to work with you to grab logs...

d. Lay the phone down flat on its back on a sturdy table facing up so the interface is right side up for you
e. Click the headphone play button or carefully flip the call enable switch to ON, it should call the first maneuver
f. Lift the left side of the phone to past 20 degrees to advance the call, while it's calling the maneuver, lay the phone back down flat on the table. Avoid changes on the pitch and yaw axis.
g. When the maneuver call is complete, repeat step f & g until it gets through the whole sequence or acts up.

Let me know if that gets you through the whole sequence or not -- the table removes several variables.

Either way, I'd like to set up a time where you can go through it as you have been using it and again as laid out above while I'm also online and can pull logs from the app remotely to see what tilts it is seeing. It could just be a really bad tilt sensor array or the fact that being in Australia you are upside-down :-) but then I wouldn't expect it to fail so consistently in the same place... I'm on PST, UTC-8 at the moment, You are in UTC+10 if I recall correctly (I work with a bunch of folks that are in AEST for Intuit's AU office in Sydney) so that makes my mid afternoon your morning on the following day so we have a good overlap...

I'll PM you my e-mail address and cell # so we can coordinate by e-mail or text message, your choice...

Thanks!
Peter+
Hi Peter,

I sent an email. Glad to help.

We may be upside down, but we are always one day ahead of you guys. Lol.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:45 AM
KGSS28

I put this app on an I phone 4 it works well as long as it has the Internet or cell service. Problem is our field has neither.
Can it be used without cell or internet service ?

I downloader it from the Apple store Version 1.0.1
Thanks Kirk
Old 01-03-2015, 09:00 AM
kenh3497

Originally Posted by drac1
Hi Peter,

We may be upside down, but we are always one day ahead of you guys. Lol.
That's funny!!

Ken
Old 01-03-2015, 07:03 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by pvogel

Thanks!
Peter+
Got through 2 sequences one after the other with no stuff ups using you method above. Will go backwards when tilted to the left also.

I then tried it by holding the phone. Again got through to the stall turn and then it started going backwards.

I then stood up and held the phone at about the same angle that my transmitter hangs. Got through 2 sequences with no stuff ups and I was even moving around a bit. Will go backwards when tilted to the left also.

It seems it may have something to do with the position of the phone when sitting down?? Next is to attach it to my Tx and try it.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:09 AM
pvogel

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

Peter+
Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM
griff7166
My Feedback: (2)

Peter where can I get the Android version?

Thanks
Matt
Old 01-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

See the link in post #120
Old 01-23-2015, 04:03 PM
pvogel

Version 1.1 of the iOS app, with improved voice recognition/noise elimination and tilt sensitivity settings, as well as the ability to run without an internet connection (after the first run when it downloads the sequences from the cloud) is now live on the app store.

Peter+
Old 01-23-2015, 08:56 PM
kenh3497

I've been playing with android version a bit. The tilt part seems to work well. I use the spodtsman sequences if it makes a difference. I have a headphone/mic someplace. I'll give that a go when I find the darn thing. I've yet to use this I a real world situation. But, so far so good.

Ken
Old 01-24-2015, 10:28 PM
pvogel

I forgot to mention -- the new version supports iOS 7, so if you have an older device you don't want to take to iOS 8, it'll work!

Peter+

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.