Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Old 01-24-2015, 11:17 PM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And, another little goodie I'm working on, control your caller from your TX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU_Ck1F9Umw Coming soon...

Peter+
Old 02-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Smooth Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I downloaded the application, but I am having some problems. First off, the application appears to operate very slow. Second, it does not always advance when given the next maneuver command unless repeated several times. I am using a Samsung Note 2 phone with the Android download. Any suggestions?

Sheldon
Old 02-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Gadget

Peter,
The blue tooth device is perfect. I'll take one when available. Please put me on your list for pre order.
Gadget
Old 02-02-2015, 12:37 PM
pvogel

Originally Posted by Smooth Pilot
Well, I downloaded the application, but I am having some problems. First off, the application appears to operate very slow. Second, it does not always advance when given the next maneuver command unless repeated several times. I am using a Samsung Note 2 phone with the Android download. Any suggestions?

Sheldon
Sheldon,

Can you help me understand "operate slow"? What part of the app is slow? The first time you run the app there will be some delay as I go to the network to get the latest sequences, but once they are stored on the local database that part should be quick... When you experienced slowness were you in voice mode or tilt mode? Voice mode definitely takes a fair amount of CPU and memory, possibly too much for a mid 2012 era processor from Samsung.

On an Android device, a lot is also highly dependent on what else you have running, as Android doesn't do a very good job with multi-tasking.

Peter+
Old 02-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Smooth Pilot

When I give a voice command it takes some time before the maneuver is updated and the verbal instruction is said by the app and in some cases it seems to stall and the command has to be repeated as much as three times before the app moves on. I could not get the tilt option to work reliably also. It would advance the maneuvers just so far and then start backing up again or jump to the end. My phone may just be to out of date to work properly. Ah well. Thanks for your reply and by the way, congrats on becoming an NSRCA officer. Good luck.

Sheldon

Last edited by Smooth Pilot; 02-02-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2015, 04:26 PM
pvogel

Thanks Sheldon,

OK. On voice command, with a 2.5 year old processor, I'm not surprised there's some lag.

For tilt control, what you describe is not uncommon if you are just holding the device in your hand casually (particularly with the default tilt sensitivity settings) when you click "start calling" (which is when I take the baseline attitude of the device), but in a real-world tilt control scenario where you have the device secured to your transmitter, the problem should be much reduced as we tend to hold our transmitters relatively steady.

Try this:
a. Configure the caller for tilt control
b. Set the trigger to 20 degrees and the reset to 15
c. Select the sequence you've been using (sounds like FAI P-15?)
d. Lay the phone down flat on its back on a sturdy table facing up so the interface is right side up for you
e. Click the headphone play button or carefully flip the call enable switch to ON, it should call the first maneuver
f. Lift the left side of the phone to past 20 degrees to advance the call, while it's calling the maneuver, lay the phone back down flat on the table. Avoid changes on the pitch and yaw axis.
g. When the maneuver call is complete, repeat step f & g until it gets through the whole sequence or acts up.

Let me know if that gets you through the whole sequence or not -- the table removes several variables.

Peter+
Old 02-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Smooth Pilot

Thanks for the info. I will let you know how it works.

Sheldon
Old 02-24-2015, 08:31 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using a Galaxy S4 Mini. I tried the Samsung supplied head phones and it worked well as long as I spoke clearly. I was in a quiet environment if that makes a difference.

Ken

Last edited by kenh3497; 02-24-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:44 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that I have a proper keyboard, not my phone, I used the voice command function of the caller. At first I had a bit of trouble making the caller work but when I realized I was not speaking clearly all the issues went away. I went through the sportsman sequence twice going both forward and backward and repeating with only a couple of repeats needed. I just installed update #19 and noticed a slight lag from issuing the command, to the caller saying the next maneuver. Now I was advancing MUCH faster than you would while flying. It did seem like the stall was hit and miss, not always on the same maneuver so I assume the phone was just not keeping up. I don't think the lag will be an issue in the field. I then tried using the caller with the TV turned up and understandably it was pretty much hit and miss if the caller would advance or not. It will be interesting to see how it works with engine noise and not spoken words. For me the tilt function is a bit awkward to use so plan to use the voice command if possible.

Ken

PS, it is VERY important to have the headphone jack plugged ALL THE WAY into the phone. Don't ask how I know
Old 03-06-2015, 09:34 AM
macleote

First try in real conditions, a little windy and it works fine with voice command. One or two times i had to say three times next maneuver(but my english accent is not perfect )
Will an option will come in order to say next and previous in other language ? like french ? I have already make translation of P15/F15 in french and that's good!!!! It will really be helpfull on F15 IF i do not forget to say next maneuver(too much focus on my flight )

Last edited by macleote; 03-06-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:06 AM
KGSS28

Will this work on an I Phone 5 without cell or internet service ? Our field is remote and does not have much service
Thanks
Old 03-07-2015, 06:11 PM
pvogel

Yes, it will. Just make sure the first time you run it you have access to the network (i.e. at home) so that it can get the latest sequences from the cloud. From then on, when it starts, if it has a network connection and it's been more than 48 hours since the last sync with the cloud it will sync, but if there's no network it uses the locally saved/stored sequences. Voice recognition, unlike Siri, is done entirely on the device (though, necessarily, it has a much smaller vocabulary than Siri).

Peter+
Old 03-09-2015, 07:40 AM
KGSS28

Thanks working great .
Old 03-10-2015, 01:21 PM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally got rid of my Blackberry and now have an I-phone 6 so I thought I would give this a try. So far I am unable to get the tilt to work. When I click on calling enabled I get a voice message that device motion not available.
Thanks,
Stuart
Old 03-13-2015, 07:08 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I'm thinking I need this on the 28x!!! Its Android but no google play store. Already has a sexy chick that talks to us and should be able to get that on a switch at it works for flight modes now. With this radio I am thinking if we could get it on there with a file download from the internet as it has internet access, then the phone can be done away with. All done in the radio. Sounds sooooooo easy to me. lol

Get busy Peter!

BTW, great work getting it to work on your switch! Very impressive.

Chris
Old 03-14-2015, 03:42 PM
pvogel

Does the Android OS on the 28x have access to tilt control? I sent you a deploy gate link via text message, let me know if it works on your 28x to deploy that way since the 28x doesn't have Google Play.

http://bit.ly/1DlAjjm

Peter+
Old 04-03-2015, 08:29 AM
KGSS28

Hey Peter Having pretty good luck with the app on a I Phone 5 using tilt ( roll ) with my phone on my trans. tray. Is there a way to make it take a little less tilt to advance to the next maneuver and a lot of tilt to make it go back ? I must not stand still enough because It will back up several times during a flight .It seems to take less tilt to go back that forward . For my taste I would like it if it would not back up that way all I would have to worry about is holding still enough to not advance to the next maneuver until I want to.
The other thing it seems to get stuck to the point that I have to turn my phone of and back on to reset it. Is there a way to reset it without doing this ?
I am using it without Internet or cell service at my field .

Thanks Kirk
Old 04-06-2015, 06:39 PM
pvogel

Hi Kirk,

Sorry about the app getting stuck. I see that occasionally but haven't found a root cause yet. You should be able to restart the app without restarting the phone by double-clicking the home button (which brings up all the apps you have open) and swiping the RCCaller app away (bottom to top of the screen). That completely closes the app and you can open it again fresh.

Interesting idea on the different sensitivity to go back vs. forward. I'll play with that in the next few weeks.

Peter+
Old 04-07-2015, 03:27 AM
KGSS28

Great thanks, I had my phone mounted to the left side of the hand rest on my transmitter tray and got to thinking about how far from center of tray that was so I played with it with a small level sitting on the screen and it took a lot to trigger the call so I moved it to the top of the tray on the center line .
Boy what a difference ,it takes much less to trigger it in roll and I was able to get it to work in yaw as well. The backing up is some better in 4 flights it backed up once 3 times on roll and none on the yaw flight.

So in my non scientific study mounted on a tray it likes the center line a lot better than a side offset I started with.

Thanks Kirk
Old 04-16-2015, 01:00 PM
dmccutchen
My Feedback: (2)

App does not get beyond NSRCA screen, returns to desktop.
ios 7.1.2 on iPhone 5.
Suggestions?
Old 04-16-2015, 05:22 PM
pvogel

Make sure you have a good network connection on the first run, it needs to download the sequences
Old 04-17-2015, 06:59 AM
dmccutchen
My Feedback: (2)

Hello Peter! I have tried with a solid wifi connection and with wifi disabled on a solid LTE connection. Same problem. Tried enabling wifi and LTE with hard reset (home+power) after changing networks and before starting rccaller. Same problem. Thank you for your prompt reply and attention!
D
Old 04-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree on being able to turn going back off. I can't even control it by hand through a full sequence without getting several prior maneuvers being called. Also is there a way to retain settings?
Every time I open it I have to reset the pattern from Sportsman and renter the tilt direction.

Thanks,
Stuart
Old 04-23-2015, 03:55 PM
pvogel

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll look into doing another release soon with some of the improvements you've been asking for. We're in the full swing of the pattern season out here, so my time is a bit more limited but I'll make a go of it.

Peter+
Old 07-31-2015, 06:53 PM
BlueSkyLoop99

Now that the NATS 2015 is over, can the FAI P-17 & F-17 sequences be available to download soon?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.